Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow To heat

Views : 559

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 21:11   #1
Sazelle

Default Slow To heat

Hi

I have a 2015, d4 v40 which can intermittently take 20 mins to reach temperature while running! When it does it will then drop to about a quarter level, cabin temp is cool at all times I have it on high with my coat hat and gloves on and I am comfortable! Does anyone know if this is normal? Dealer says yes but my understanding is once needle in the middle it should stay there? I think thermostat issue anyone else had this issue please
Sazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 21:29   #2
Swedefarm

From experience yes, it is a stat issue and not normal at all, your car seems to be running constant cool, so the stat is wide open and not modulating.

Get it changed, cheap enough to sort.

I’d change garage also
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swedefarm For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 14:52   #3
Sazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedefarm View Post
From experience yes, it is a stat issue and not normal at all, your car seems to be running constant cool, so the stat is wide open and not modulating.

Get it changed, cheap enough to sort.

I’d change garage also

I have its still under warranty!!!!! it is an intermittant issue like driving a fridge
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 21:20   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Have they bled the system? You need to make sure they look it properly
Whilst it’s still in warranty. You don’t want it to turn out to be a more serious fault and be left with well it’s out of warranty now sir so empty your wallet!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:43   #5
1monkey600

Is this a new issue that has suddenly come on or does it vary with the weather?

You should be able to tell if the coolant thermostat is working - start it from cold and keep feeling the top hose to rad with your hand. If it warms up gradually from the beginning then the thermostat is likely stuck open. If it remains cool but then suddenly warms up within a few seconds a few minutes later the thermostat is at least opening and closing as it should.

If the above test shows the coolant thermostat is originally closed then opens as it should when the water temp gets near 'normal', it could be an issue with the fan thermostat/switch rather than coolant thermostat - does the fan run all the time the engine is running or does it cut in and out (like it should).

If it is very cold where you are you may be able to improve things by blanking off some of the radiator.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 15:17   #6
Sazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Have they bled the system? You need to make sure they look it properly
Whilst it’s still in warranty. You don’t want it to turn out to be a more serious fault and be left with well it’s out of warranty now sir so empty your wallet!
Hi it was back yesterday and they advised me that the system has been bled and vacuumed, today it was up and down like the proverbial pants, service guy says he has same car and his takes ages to be warm!!! this is the start of a 52 min journey and the end!!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 15:18   #7
Sazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
Is this a new issue that has suddenly come on or does it vary with the weather?

You should be able to tell if the coolant thermostat is working - start it from cold and keep feeling the top hose to rad with your hand. If it warms up gradually from the beginning then the thermostat is likely stuck open. If it remains cool but then suddenly warms up within a few seconds a few minutes later the thermostat is at least opening and closing as it should.

If the above test shows the coolant thermostat is originally closed then opens as it should when the water temp gets near 'normal', it could be an issue with the fan thermostat/switch rather than coolant thermostat - does the fan run all the time the engine is running or does it cut in and out (like it should).

If it is very cold where you are you may be able to improve things by blanking off some of the radiator.
it has been on and off since December, cold days are worse but its done it when its as high as 8!!!