Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water sloshing round in floor of my XC60

Views : 1961

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2018, 18:11   #1
Mikedavies1969

Question Water sloshing round in floor of my XC60

Recently, I have noticed a sloshing sound of water in the floor of my 2009 XC60.

Sounds like the water is in the rear of the car... Over my left shoulder... Running between the boot and the rear passenger footwell.

I've had a look on the Internet to see if there are any drain plugs that I can remove to allow the water to escape... However I can't find anything.

Is anyone able to help me get the water out of the car?
Mikedavies1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 21:54   #2
Peter86
Pete

I sometimes notice a similar sound in my v70 but its only when the fuel tank is at about 3/4 full or just over.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 22:14   #3
skippyfox
VOC Member

Are you sure it's water sloshing around? Has the car been stood in deep water recently? If water has got in to any cavities then it should find it's way out sooner or later. Maybe like Peter86 says you might be hearing fuel in the tank, but even that is a long shot. The only car I've owned that did that was a Nissan 300ZX short wheelbase, where the fuel tank was directly behind the driver/passenger seats, and that was with a fairly low tank of fuel. P.S. Peter hope you got the fuel filter seal sorted and had a good trip home from the Stafford meet. .. Steve white xc70.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 00:43   #4
blueblock

I've had a couple of cars (including my current Seat) that slosh when the fuel tank is over 3/4 full - quite disconcerting the first time you hear it. I'd imagine that it would have had to have been exposed to some fairly extraordinary conditions to actually have water sloshing around somewhere.
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 07:44   #5
Mikedavies1969

Thanks guys.... But I've owned the car for over a year and it's only now that we've noticed the sloshing sound. Don't think it's the fuel in the tank. The car doesn't sit in deep water... But we've had some really wet weather over the last few weeks... With particularly heavy rain.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 08:29   #6
skippyfox
VOC Member

Just another thought, is the tail gate seal ok. water may have got into the spare wheel well.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 10:30   #7
Sir James
I've Been Banned

Water pipe to rear screen washer is always a popular culprit.
Sir James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:44   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

As skippyfox says it's more likely to be in something like the spare wheel well,if it were in the passenger cell and you can hear it sloshing about you'd more than likely be ankle deep in water as the sound deadening below the carpet can absorb gallons of the stuff before you'd hear any sloshing!However try pressing your foot or hand on the carpet and see if any water oozes out.Areas to check for leaks include roof mount ariel[if it has one]if it has roof bars check where they mount,boot lid seal and rear light openings.I've also known some vehicles leak below the filler strip[don't know the technical name for this but it's the bit where the roof rails mount if you know what I mean]that covers where the roof panel joins the sides of the car.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:27   #9
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default Known Issue

Mike
This is a known issue when the windscreen bonding fails allowing water ingress.
This link on the XC60 forum https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=239333&page=7 will give you all the info you need.
Hope it helps.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:36   #10
Mikedavies1969

LATEST UPDATE....

The carpet in the rear passenger footwear is wet. Still not sure where the water is coming from.... But at least I now know I'm not going mad and I have been hearing water. Thanks for the responses guys... Will check out the boot seals tomorrow.

Tags
drainage, water leak, xc60