Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 85618

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:51   #191
pondside

So who has paid out the most with AWD problems my car kept jumping in and out of 6th gear the end result was a £3,270 bill, beat that if you can.
For more details see my posts
pondside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 17:44   #192
ascender

So its the angle gear that's gone. £1000 for the part and £300 labour on a car that's just over three years old. Brilliant.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 09:40   #193
ascender

Call this morning to say they're not going to have time to strip it down until next week due to lack of staff. So at the moment, they've discovered that the angle gear has been damaged and they've found metal filings somewhere that could mean damage to the spline sleeve and gearbox as well.

This is starting to sound incredibly expensive...
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:26   #194
REDSHEEPRIDD

First time I've heard of this on one so new, as it's usually the pre 56 reg cars that are prone to failure.
Is the garage giving any comment, as there could be a Volvo contribution, depending on your mileage.

My 54 reg is still on original sleeve at 106k and this weeks weather has proved the AWD is still working ok.

Seems to be the luck of the draw - although as others have commented, everyone whos cars are ok are not going to post on here, so it does give a biased reflection on the XC90.
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:32   #195
ascender

Mileage is just under 60,000. Its got FVSH and was booked-in for its annual service next week. Dealer is saying we'll be liable for the lot, so I've asked them to let us know the extent of damage, what needs done etc and then we'll make a decision on what to do.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:30   #196
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Mileage is just under 60,000. Its got FVSH and was booked-in for its annual service next week. Dealer is saying we'll be liable for the lot, so I've asked them to let us know the extent of damage, what needs done etc and then we'll make a decision on what to do.
Is it a Volvo dealer? ... have they or yourself actually spoken to Volvo CS?

Unless there is an external cause, then a discussion on fit for purpose springs to mind .... and if its a Volvo dealer, I cant believe the Volvo CS have not put some money up front ... just because its out of warranty doesnt remove the responsibility for Volvo to fix something that makes the car unuseable due to manufacturing/design issues ... even if they claim it is goodwill!

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 13:06   #197
Coldrow

Sales of goods act is your friend here especially the parts pertaining to out of manufactures warranties!

Manufactures have a duty of care for up to six years on some items especially if it has failed in normal use (as opposed to being abused).

I'd bet that a well worded letter to Volvo CS with an email copy to your local dealer will make them jump.
Coldrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 18:00   #198
ascender

Thanks for the feedback and advice, feel better armed for the conversations that are bound to happen next week!
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 13:50   #199
ascender

So.... The angle gear and spline sleeve are completely knackered but they have no idea what's caused them to fail. "Wear & tear" is the best guess.

Volvo CS have apparently now agreed to pay 40% towards the bill of £1600, but I feel a bit uneasy in agreeing to this given the sort of failure of key components on a car that's been fully serviced in accordance to their schedule and is only 3.5 years old.

Any advice?
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 14:15   #200
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
So.... The angle gear and spline sleeve are completely knackered but they have no idea what's caused them to fail. "Wear & tear" is the best guess.

Volvo CS have apparently now agreed to pay 40% towards the bill of £1600, but I feel a bit uneasy in agreeing to this given the sort of failure of key components on a car that's been fully serviced in accordance to their schedule and is only 3.5 years old.

Any advice?
Is the dealer contributing to this as well ... if not why not? ... I'd ask for more given its service history and ask the dealer what they are putting in the pot ..... afterall it is only 3.5yrs old and dealer serviced ( at the repairing dealers ?).... maybe a word with citizens advice on the sale of goods act.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote