Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camshaft confusion

Views : 4101

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 13:08   #31
jjkenya

Not really - it was badly damaged, and it has now been open for a long while. I take your point though. Good luck with yours.
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 13:54   #32
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Where do you stand with this sorry tale of woe?

Has the car been repaired, do you have a working engine, has the warranty company coughed up and what of the engine supplier - what have they done?
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 15:39   #33
jjkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Where do you stand with this sorry tale of woe?

Has the car been repaired, do you have a working engine, has the warranty company coughed up and what of the engine supplier - what have they done?
Thanks for the request for an update and apologies for the lack of communication.

Mapfre (Warranty Co) didn't agree with the Ombudsman Adjudicator's first assessment that they should pay, and responded with an attempt to cast doubt on my report and assertions. We replied, rubbishing their assertions. The Adjudicator found in our favour again, and suggested a settlement:
- They settle the claim, and cover some nominal costs for compensation (a few hundred pounds)

I agreed to this, and they also agreed to this, however they have 4 weeks in which to make things happen and come good on the settlement. We're 1 week in and I've not heard so they are probably delaying...

All in all, a good outcome, if it goes per Ombudsman's settlement.
The car is at Volvo.
It has the breaker engine in it and that will be removed and returned for a refund. The labour incurred is going to be borne by me (unless I find the energy to fight it which I don't have).
Once Mapfre approve the claim, we will get Volvo to repair the car...

At worst we will have a car in 6 weeks time. At best, 2.5 weeks.

I will update you once it's back on the road.
A word of thanks to everyone for their support and interest, and ideas.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 17:50   #34
Scooser

A result, well done.

The lesson for me here is not to trust 'independent' reports as they cannot be independent if paid for by the warranty company.

Fookin' colluding crooks.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 21:34   #35
jjkenya

Also posted on http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=258608&page=8

Hello 1 and all.

Addition for this thread specifically, is that I can confirm the camshafts are NOT interchangeable as per the breaker's assertion, however was landed with the bill for labour of removing the blown engine and fitting the breaker engine. The breaker, to their credit, as agreed to take theirs back and refund me that cost. However, I still think they cocked up...(they sent me a 2005 engine which was the previous version)...

I felt I should close this thread with an outcome and situation. The car was finally received back from Volvo yesterday. The engine was replaced under warranty, and they paid me a small compensatory sum for the inconvenience. I had to pay for the fuel pipes and my wipers and brakes were needing replacement as they'd sat idle so long... I was too tired to fight that battle.

I must say that almost 6 months without our car has been a real test (understatement of the year) and I wish there was more of a penalty for the warranty company who should have paid out in September 2016...

Regardless, the car is back, and I have to openly thanks:
1. everyone in this thread who supported me
2. one user in particular who I have contacted privately, who is an independent assessor and performed an assessment for us because of this forum

I've learnt a few lessons, one of which is that insurance companies really are shaftstards, and they will go to lengths to shut out claims. I imagine that most people would have given up on this one, as would I, had I been able to afford a replacement engine.

The Ombudsman process is good, but time consuming and is more suited to financial transactions than vehicles. I am genuinely grateful that we live in a country that has these methods of recourse in place and that they actually perform. I come from a place (check my username...) that this would never happen.

If anyone has any questions about the outcome, the process or anything else that they feel remain unanswered, the least I can do is detail it here. Please let me know.

Thanks again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjkenya For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 17:59   #36
ampy

At least you got the car back and some money towards the costs. I am currently caught up in a camshaft saga. There are a good few subtle changes. Even if you had changed the camshaft and it was accepted by the ECU you would then probably have found the EGR set up was also different.
People try changing ECU's by fitting a kit from another car but the original ECU is programmed with you chassis number, the mileage, the number of seats, number of doors and so many other things that unless the donor car is identical it will be a nightmare.
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
31216227, camshaft, xc90