Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Large Bumper '74 142 - Absorber Replacement

Views : 792

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2019, 12:21   #1
80sRich

Default Large Bumper '74 142 - Absorber Replacement

My father is restoring a 142 he imported from the USA and has asked me to post the following question on here in the hopes someone can help.

The 1974 model year is fitted with large 'bulldozer' type bumpers which are intended to retract on impact and then return to their normal position. The bumpers are each attached to two small cylinders which are mounted to the front and rear side members and I assume these were originally filled with a gas that liquefied under sudden pressure or a gel that became a liquid. Well after 43 years in the Texas sunshine whatever they were filled with ain't there now! As a result when they are pushed in they stay in the retracted position. Replacement units are no longer available so my options are to tack weld them open or replace each of the units with some type of shock absorber possibly with a small spring.

Has anyone come across this problem before and if so what was the solution? Any innovative ideas for overcoming this problem will be much appreciated.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004JPG.jpg (56.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006JPG.jpg (62.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010JPG.jpg (68.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0002.jpg (200.2 KB, 13 views)
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 14:17   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sRich View Post
My father is restoring a 142 he imported from the USA and has asked me to post the following question on here in the hopes someone can help.

The 1974 model year is fitted with large 'bulldozer' type bumpers which are intended to retract on impact and then return to their normal position. The bumpers are each attached to two small cylinders which are mounted to the front and rear side members and I assume these were originally filled with a gas that liquefied under sudden pressure or a gel that became a liquid. Well after 43 years in the Texas sunshine whatever they were filled with ain't there now! As a result when they are pushed in they stay in the retracted position. Replacement units are no longer available so my options are to tack weld them open or replace each of the units with some type of shock absorber possibly with a small spring.

Has anyone come across this problem before and if so what was the solution? Any innovative ideas for overcoming this problem will be much appreciated.'
yes those are the USA hydraulic buffers , The best thing is to fit UK ones which are just a thick rubber cylinder , you would need the whole units from each side . The USA Bumper is thicker alloy too , not sure if they are compatible or if you would need the UK bumper too . There must be someone selling the whole bumper which bolts on with 4 bolts ...
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 20:39   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is it just the rears you need or the fronts also?

UK cars use rubber blocks as already mentioned
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:13   #4
80sRich

Hi All,

My father has asked me to post this following reply.

'I must thank the contributors to this Forum who responded to my enquiry concerning the US specification hydraulic bumper buffers which are fitted to both the front and rear of my 1974 142. As to changing the bumpers I would prefer to use the bumpers from the earlier model year but would have to adapt these since the fittings are totally different to the 'bulldozer' type fitted to later cars. But before proceeding, since the early model 240s sold in the States also had these units, I will contact a Volvo 240 contact in the US and ask him how they overcome the problem of none operational hydraulic buffers. At the moment I think the easiest solution will to be to lock the units in the fully open position by drilling/tapping a suitably sized hole in the outer casing and then securing this to the inner casing with a suitably sized socket screw. All in all an interesting problem!'
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote