Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340GL carb problem

Views : 1090

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:29   #1
Tony B

I have an '89 340GL that has a problem I am hoping someone can recognise and point me in the right direction with. The car starts fine from cold. But it idles erratically - sometimes hunting around 9,000, other times racing up to 50,000.

If I can get the car warmed up, then generally it is manageable, with the revs ranging at idle from 9,000 to 15,000, with just a little hunting and hesitation. The car hasn't lost any power or anything, it can cope with the fast lane of the motorway as well as it ever could.

On braking, however, or changing down (necessitating taking my foot off the throttle), then the revs can drop dramatically to 2,000 or so - with the outcome that they either return to around the 9 -15,000 mark again, or the engine stalls.

If the engine stalls midway between cold and warmed up, I am in trouble. Most times it won't start. It has a go sure enough, but it backfires... and I have to wait 20-30 minutes or so to start it fresh from cold, as it were, when it will start first or second or time, but with symptoms as outlined from the top of the page.

If anyone can help or point me in the direction of a reconditioned or secondhand carb (I live in Manchester), I would be be delighted. The carb itself is a Solex 28-34 CISAC. Cheers.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:56   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You have not told us whether it is a 1.4 or 1.7.
It is most likely an air leak of sorts. You can use wd40 or easy start to find the leak. Spray it around the joint onto the head and around the carb mounting face. If the revs pick up when you are spraying it that will have located the leak. It is quite common for the carbs to come loose.
It is also possible that you have over rich fuel mixture as that will cause hunting.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 13:44   #3
5lab

guessing at a 1.4 - have a look on the 'running lumpy' post on the volvo300mania forums - it sounds like this is exactly it.. - loose carb

by the way - you're doing 900-1,500 rpm. 15,000 on a 340 would be very impressive
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 15:47   #4
Tony B

Thanks, chaps.

It is a 1.7

I will have a go with the WD40 and try tightening things up, and get back to you with how I got on.

Thanks again.

ps Uggghhh, yeah... 1,500rpm - glad you noticed the deliberate mistake there and you are on your toes, hehe.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 17:40   #5
dennisl1
VOC President

Default 340 1.7s

The 340 with the 1.7 engine was notorious for having a distorted carburettor flange plate and it therefore leaked air between the carb and the manifold totally mucking up the mixture setting. This caused all the problems you are encountering. You might get away with a new gasket ( and possibly some gasket goo) but you might need to true up the base of the carb to totally stop the problems. As suggested WD40 sprayed around the joint where the carb meets the intake manifold might give a very temporary cure to show that that is the problem.
Good luck.
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:24   #6
Tony B

Thank you, Dennis.

Am about to spray with WD40 today. Will let you know how we get on.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 00:16   #7
pettaw
Forum Support Team

As Dennis said most likely the carb base and /or inlet manifold flange is warped causing an air leak. If you can find a machine shop you can take the carb off and get it machined flat, ditto for the manifold. If the WD40 test doesn't show up anything then post back, there are other possibilities for where an air leak could come from.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:16   #8
Geezer

Gidday Mate,

As Dennis has said the base may be warped. From memory, Volvo had a replacement base plate (thicker) and gasket kit (can't remember the part no). You may be able to get away with just changing these parts before contemplating any machine work.

I seem to recall that 340's and I think 360's had problems with the idle solenoid valves...I think with the electrical connectors (not 100% sure though).

Many moons ago I had both a 340 1.4 and a 1.7 as company demo's, and both had this problem. It could be worthwhile getting it checked out by a main dealer.

Best of luck.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 19:53   #9
Tony B

Cheers, chaps.

Changed the Inlet and Exhaust Manifold Gasket and that seems to have done the trick. Woo hoo!

Will get back to you with definate confirmation tomorrow.

Thanks again, to everyone who has posted, here's hoping we have got it cracked.

Tony
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 18:07   #10
dennisl1
VOC President

Default Dodgy carb gasket

I'm glad we could help. The 340 should be much nicer to drive now.
Happy Volvoing.

Dennis
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote