Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ME7 Idle; solved = better braking, improved economy

Views : 1368

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 18:48   #1
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Default ME7 Idle; solved = better braking, improved economy

Hi peeps

Thought I would share my findings

Just for history; I have had a bad idle since I have had the car, fluctuating +/- 100 rpm, occasional hesitation and stalling. The car has had 3 ETMs each resulting in the same idle result.

I have discovered the root cause for this fault: a failed non-return valve on the EVAP system (pollution control).

This was allowing a direct air leak at idle from the inlet piping to the manifold.

Testing involves "sucking and seeing" lol; remove the pipe from the inlet tube and you should be able to suck, but not blow.

To remedy this, I inserted an extra non-return valve (as I am on a budget and didn't fancy paying £48 + vat from Volvo). The OEM valves also acts as a reducer, hence my reason for keeping it.

Results are SOLID IDLE (glourious to me as this has been a pain in 2 years ownership and £££s), better braking power (due to increased manifold vacuum under engine braking) and I have already seen a marked improvement in MPG (I used to see 230 to a tank normal driving. After running the tank dry from half a tank with the fixed leak, I am seeing 260 I'll report back how many miles from a full tank!)

Hope this helps some peeps and it's really quick to check out.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valves.jpg (81.1 KB, 74 views)
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 19:05   #2
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Nice one Chris, attention to detail always pays off in the long run.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 19:08   #3
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Had you also noticed a problem when braking when you had the problem? Could this also affect my S40 2.0T as you symptoms sound similar to what I get occasionally.
Chris
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 19:36   #4
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

My 2.0 S40 2001my non turbo has a similar set up so worth checking out mate.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 19:45   #5
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishvolvo
Had you also noticed a problem when braking when you had the problem? Could this also affect my S40 2.0T as you symptoms sound similar to what I get occasionally.
Chris
Yes, occasionally overlight and no real confidence approaching bends in gear; when the idle had a fit of idle hiccups, I could feel the brake pedal soften a lot; this is when the lightbuld lit up in my head (traffic is good for something I guess!)

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 20:22   #6
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Where did you get the extra non return and where does it go?
Thanks for the info.
Chris
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 20:27   #7
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Hi there

Luckily I had a suitable one at home. I've visited several autofactors and non were ANY help, lol.

I reckon they can be bought from Volvo reasonably - the parts guy I had was totally useless.

I have also seen some on EBay that would work.

Chris