Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Query re fluid change.

Views : 530

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2021, 15:14   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Query re fluid change.

Volvo XC70, 2011, AWD. 140,000 miles.
Auto. box believed to be Aisin Warner TF-80SC.
Daughter bought vehicle from main dealer Feb. ‘17 with 88129 recorded miles and 12 month Selekt warranty.
During warranty period experienced “clonking/thumping” when moving from N into D. This was reported to dealer who carried out an “adaption” under warranty which cured the fault temporarily but it returned in June ‘18.
Dealer agreed to check box again as original problem was reported during warranty period. Dealer advised that they had changed the “internal oil seals”. When asked if this had necessitated draining of the fluid they advised that it had but would not elaborate and didn’t sound very convincing. As they were not charging for this procedure I was reluctant to pursue the matter any further. The original problem has not yet returned and there have not been any TCM warnings.
As the mileage is now 140,000 miles and the consensus on this forum seems to be that a drain, flush procedure is advisable I am trying to ascertain whether this is required yet.
Is anyone able to confirm whether changing the internal oil seals would indeed require the fluid to be drained?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:05   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Volvo XC70, 2011, AWD. 140,000 miles.
Auto. box believed to be Aisin Warner TF-80SC.
Daughter bought vehicle from main dealer Feb. ‘17 with 88129 recorded miles and 12 month Selekt warranty.
During warranty period experienced “clonking/thumping” when moving from N into D. This was reported to dealer who carried out an “adaption” under warranty which cured the fault temporarily but it returned in June ‘18.
Dealer agreed to check box again as original problem was reported during warranty period. Dealer advised that they had changed the “internal oil seals”. When asked if this had necessitated draining of the fluid they advised that it had but would not elaborate and didn’t sound very convincing. As they were not charging for this procedure I was reluctant to pursue the matter any further. The original problem has not yet returned and there have not been any TCM warnings.
As the mileage is now 140,000 miles and the consensus on this forum seems to be that a drain, flush procedure is advisable I am trying to ascertain whether this is required yet.
Is anyone able to confirm whether changing the internal oil seals would indeed require the fluid to be drained?
Fluid needs to be drained to replace the seals.

As the transmission has done 52k since its last fluid change, I’d suggest replacing it again.
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:20   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

Thanks Kev. Just considering the way forward at present.
I would be confident to do the spannering bit but I don’t have access to VIDA DICE for the final level and reset. I’m thinking of approaching my local Volvo indi. but wonder whether they would actually do the repeated flushes or simply dump and refill. Alternatively, asking whether they would do the final level and reset if I did the flushing etc. and would driving the car 10 miles to them after doing my bit would cause any problems.
Or could I justify the expense of buying VIDA DICE and a dedicated laptop from Cheshired5.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:38   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Kev. Just considering the way forward at present.
I would be confident to do the spannering bit but I don’t have access to VIDA DICE for the final level and reset. I’m thinking of approaching my local Volvo indi. but wonder whether they would actually do the repeated flushes or simply dump and refill. Alternatively, asking whether they would do the final level and reset if I did the flushing etc. and would driving the car 10 miles to them after doing my bit would cause any problems.
Or could I justify the expense of buying VIDA DICE and a dedicated laptop from Cheshired5.
You also need to reset the fluid counter, as well as reset the level.

Some indi’s will do the full flush via the transmission cooler, some just do a single drain & fill... you’d have to confirm that with them. Depending how bad the fluid is, you may need more than one drain & fill. Whether they’d do repeated drain & fills is also something you’d also have to double check.

If you decide to do it yourself without VIDA (so no level reset or reset of the fluid counter), driving 10 miles for them to do the computer side of it for you won’t cause any issues, but I imagine they’ll have some kind of charge for doing it (unless your indi is generous).

Make sure you use the correct spec fluid if doing it yourself... your indi will know this already. Transmission fluid from Volvo isn’t cheap, but you can buy some from brands like Mannol or Smith & Allen cheaper than what you’d pay at Volvo. I think your car takes JWS3309 fluid, but check your owner’s manual to be sure.

A VIDA laptop is definitely the way to go if you plan on doing DIY jobs on your car going forward. Its also very handy for finding part numbers, finding out if there’s any errors with your car, turning off fault codes when issues are fixed etc.

With regards to costs, just in case you’re wondering... a single drain & fill would be around £120-£140 including labour at a garage (approximately). A full flush would be around £300.

My indi doesn’t do flushing, just drain & fills. I’ve had two single drain & fills done on my car (not at once), gearbox adaptions reset, fluid counter reset & level set. In fact, I had the second drain & fill done recently (only about two/three weeks ago). As my car was in the garage for something else, I just let him do the transmission service at the same time. I do have a VIDA laptop, but being honest, I didn’t have the time to do the fluid change & couldn’t be bothered doing it on a weekend.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 31st, 2021 at 16:53.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 16:59   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Saab specced 72K for a full ATF change interval on the 6-speed so you have a little wriggle room as long as changes are still OK.

Many threads, one here frinstance:

https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewto...175316&start=0
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 17:21   #6
Gazdkw
Master Member

If you are local(ish) to Leicestershire I can do the vida dice bit for you
Old May 31st, 2021, 17:28   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
could I justify the expense of buying VIDA DICE and a dedicated laptop from Cheshired5.
Yes.

Seriously though, you could the spannering yourself and ask a friendly local member to do the final drain temperature check and counter reset.

Also seriously, I'd never see having a Vida setup as an expense.
You buy it, you use it, you save a fortune, you sell it when you're done. The net cost is actually very low.

An expense is paying for something and the money is never seen again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 20:08   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

There is absolutely no need to use alVIDA at all. You simply measure what comes out and replace with the same. That will keep levels appriximatly the same. Then you simply run the engine and remove the centre drain plug and run the engine and it levels.

You will take 20mins to get to minimum 50C and then it will hold at 50-53C and not rise.

I have Vida and as I do I chose to use it. But absolutely no need.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 20:10   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Yes.

Seriously though, you could the spannering yourself and ask a friendly local member to do the final drain temperature check and counter reset.

Also seriously, I'd never see having a Vida setup as an expense.
You buy it, you use it, you save a fortune, you sell it when you're done. The net cost is actually very low.

An expense is paying for something and the money is never seen again.
I purchased Vida from Cheshire, total doddle, and I saved the cost of purchase on the oil change alone!

Buy Vida if you wish (I still don’t think you need it to change oil myself) and then have the facility for life.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 21:01   #10
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
There is absolutely no need to use alVIDA at all. You simply measure what comes out and replace with the same. That will keep levels appriximatly the same. Then you simply run the engine and remove the centre drain plug and run the engine and it levels.

You will take 20mins to get to minimum 50C and then it will hold at 50-53C and not rise.

I have Vida and as I do I chose to use it. But absolutely no need.
Mine went up to 60c when I was monitoring it. Took about 20 mins. Theres alot of variables that will determine what the temp will be. Not sure where it would generally sit if left for a long period