Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lighting relays 6V

Views : 327

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 14:51   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Lighting relays 6V

Hi, i have noticed that the relays are getting quite hot on use. Is this normal? Also,can't quite make out fuse rating on schematic. Is it 5Amp or 8Amp?
Just remembered, I'm running 60/55 H4 lamps instead of the normal 45/40.

Last edited by arcturus; Apr 14th, 2019 at 15:54.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 23:21   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Volvo didn't fit any relays so I guess these were added by you? Good earths where needed are always worth checking. Small fuses will be 8amp. Big dumpy ones are 25amp. 4 x 8amp and 2 x 25amp I think on your fuse box.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 15:49   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Still having problems with hot relays. Confirm that this is the correct connecting please. Haven't got earth and switch reversed? Power terminal from battery gets very hot. Will revert to non relay until I get to the bottom of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (94.6 KB, 7 views)
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 16:32   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

That looks OK.
http://floraoflangkawi.org/relay-wir...diagram-4-pin/
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 17:49   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Guys;

In general, heat is produced as a result of current through a less than adequate contact, or conductor cross section, or connection etc. for the magnetude of current passing...it is governed by the Ohms Law derived formula of P=I(squared) x R. [Note the R factor!]

Specifically, if a relay is getting hot, try to determine exactly where the heat is being generated...if it is the coil which is generating the heat (maybe its not intended to be under power continuously [see: https://www.sw-em.com/Ignition_Slave...us_duty_relays ], or maybe it is being subjected to more voltage than intended [unlikely in this case], rating on the case will refer to nominal voltage intended to be applied to coil) OR it is the working contact (carbonized, so low cross-sectional area for the amount of current flowing, or more current flowing than it is rated for) OR maybe a riveted interconnection of external contact to internal parts, OR even high resistance at the connecting crimp(s) themselves is loose or corroded...yes there can be a lot of heat sources...and don't forget, heat can be and typically is also conducted away from the actual source, down metal paths, so where you feel it might not be the (hotter!) source...any one of these phenomenon (or even combinations) can be what Arcturus is experiencing at the term 30.

Locating source of heat: Direct - feel around (Carefully!) for the hottest point...if connections look OK by inspection, measure or calculate or estimate current (too much?)...Indirect - probe around with Voltmeter...remember, voltage drop is supposed to occur only across Load!!...a VD anywhere else in the current path means Load is not getting full(maximum) voltage, but more importantly in this case, that VD is being turned into heat, which can eventually do damage...note also that unintentional VDs seldom get less with time...their causes (corrosion, terminal looseness, contact inadequacy, etc) typically don't get better with time...they get worse...

I really dislike the "Black Box" drawings for relays, showing only terminal numbers...because half the important info is still not shown...I want to see ALL the internal happenings!...this gives me an immediate overview and helps with visualizing the various current paths for troubleshooting. I prefer drawings such as this:

"Haven't got earth and switch reversed? " ...this does not matter from the point of current direction in the circuit, magnetism being generated within the relay, or heat generation in the current path...the only time polarity maters is when the is a snubber diode internal (or external!) to the relay (see pic!) then polarity must be observed such that the diode (intended to quench the high voltage and resulting plasma at the switch-contact) occurring when shutting OFF the coil current path, would otherwise represent a short circuit.

Hope this explanation helps...Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 09:05   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Can you recommend a continuous use 6V relay? The ones I'm using more likely are for intermittent use
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:50   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

The make/break ones here might be OK, the basic one is 20amp. The fused one is only a little more expensive and that is rated at 30amps.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/161
The company has a lot of useful items.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 14:35   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

...a good find by Derek!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote