Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New project - '66 Amazon Estate - Spot any problems?

Views : 6585

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:46   #11
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - Like a few of us on here, I've just finished restoring a 122 estate. Personally, I'd say unless you have a good supply of $$, then this car is not for you - regardless of what your course instructor says. Too-bad, don't get me wrong, but it will cost you, and after doing all the work you can do, you will want to be able to spend the money on the stuff you just need to spend $$ on, like shocks, brakes, liner, uphostry, alternator, starter, chrome, suspension bushings, etc, etc... to say nothing of shop-supplies. However, you are now one of us who has been bitten by the Volvo bug for whatever reason, and I wish you well.

I think you will have a better chance of getting your $$ back if you can get it running. A parts car is a nice extra too.
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:21   #12
widget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122 Canuck View Post
Hi - Like a few of us on here, I've just finished restoring a 122 estate. Personally, I'd say unless you have a good supply of $$, then this car is not for you - regardless of what your course instructor says. Too-bad, don't get me wrong, but it will cost you, and after doing all the work you can do, you will want to be able to spend the money on the stuff you just need to spend $$ on, like shocks, brakes, liner, uphostry, alternator, starter, chrome, suspension bushings, etc, etc... to say nothing of shop-supplies. However, you are now one of us who has been bitten by the Volvo bug for whatever reason, and I wish you well.

I think you will have a better chance of getting your $$ back if you can get it running. A parts car is a nice extra too.
I appreciate the help and the links everyones provided.

Between you, me and the internet... This wasn't my first choice for a project car. I much prefer 30's-40's cars. I have a thing for suicide doors(doors that open backwards). And living in north central US we get snow here, so lots of rust generally. I've been watching for older cars but its all trucks or boring old mustangs around here and I can't afford to have an ebay car shipped here AND to restore it, so I took what I can get, although I probably jumped to quick just because I wanted something... I also think the guy selling was a bit pushy, didn't let me look it over as good as I wanted.

Money is the key factor in this thing since I'm not even close to having spare $$. School starts in a month so body work is on hold until then and I'm taking it down to the mechanics tomorrow to see what he says. I want to get it running and turn into my daily but only if it won't kill my budget. As for body work, yeah, I can see what you mean it'd be spendy to restore 100% because I look at everything and I could use a new everything. I have the aluminum(chrome) pieces and new carb seals and new air filters.

If I do repair this I want to be able to sell it for at least what I've put into it and if I don't repair it I want to sell it for what I've put into it. Meaning, I get it running, buy a battery, I want to charge what I paid for the car + what I paid to get it running and MAYBE a bit extra. I really need to get the parts car but circumstances won't allow that for a week or two. I think having a parts car and if the wagon is running, I could get $1000 since these seems semi rare.

I'm doing some math here for myself... I paid $800 for the cars. Getting it running cost($200?) + battery($60?).

Parts I know I'd need just for a solid body, that I know of. Floor pans(Not real sure, anyone got a link, or can I just use any old volvo pans? Could I cut them off the other car?) at least 1 or both wings($200-300), all new seals for windows, doors(... $200-300)....

I'd be happy with just that for now. I can live with the bad chrome and semi bad interior.

The question remains though.. Whats it worth?

Anyways, I have a couple more pictures for anyone that actually cars. Nothing great, just some under sides. I took the kick panel off and from what I can see looks pretty decent. Same with trim under back window.

widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:43   #13
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

My advice is just get it running and sell the both of them. If you can get $1,000, I'd take it and settle for fixing something else up until you have a lot more money. The body is pretty good on that car, considering, but not for your purposes. It could be a lot worse, that's for sure (as you have seen on a couple of the threads here). To someone who wants an old Volvo, you can point to the wheel-wells, the rear corners and the rockers (?) and say - "look, no rust, you won't find that in too many of these."
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:20   #14
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

My 2c worth, I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Looking at your pics there are places these rust and it looks okay. Front inner fender top members will probably need fixing, some work on the front fenders but if you are wanting to do panel work as a career fixing these shouldn't be a problem. The structural members underneath the car don't look too bad, bit dented with surface corrosion and looking at the pics I'd say they could be fixed up.

I'm assuming you're only a young bloke so you have youth and energy on your side. Also you will be amazed how many folk are prepared to help a young keen guy. What I'd say is get along to your local autobody shop and mechanic and ask if you can help out around the shop in return for them giving you advice on fixing up your old Amazon. That's what I did when I was a teenager and the mechanic use to help me with my motorbike and beachbuggy in return, and he loved helping as well.

You can do the body on the cheap no problem. Get along to your local junkyard with an angle grinder and chop up bits of panels, if you need to patch the floor, cut one out something similar at the junkyard and make it fit. When it comes to other parts you won't get stuff in A1 condition for nothing but you will be suprised how much you can get if you ask nicely when you are young. ;-)

What you don't want to do is underestimate how much hard graf there is ahead of you. Don't start it if you don't think you will finish it is my advice. But if you are keen get on your bike and go visit the local guys who can help you out, you'll be amazed how much help is out there, especially if you're willing to help them out as well for their time...
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:45   #15
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

There you go - both sides of the (same) coin. I appreciate your optimism, Mitch. A lot of things can go right if you have the right attitude. I agree the car is fixable alright, and hopefully the frame underneath all the crud is as good as it appears to be. You don't have to make a perfect car, maybe it will just be something to learn on.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 06:48   #16
tom-madbiker
Master Member

i would say go for it get it sorted nicely and keep it i know the saloon is a nicer shape but the estate is more usable for chucking stuff in the back and long enough to sleep in
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 20:03   #17
pez
VOC Member

the estate is deffo worth restoring,go for it and good luck with it.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:07   #18
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
Have a look at Paul H's thread too, it's on this board but I could only find this link to it.

Edit: I just followed that link and none of the images come up.... Paul?? I remembered I had a link to some other build so have a poke through that instead.
Sorry for the late reply - been away for the last week or so. My website is offline at the moment which is why the pics have disappeared, and I haven't had the chance to sort out a new host yet. May be worth reading this too regarding what to check on the body.

Regarding the photos in the second link, for those who may be wanting to repair their car to how it left the factory, there are a few areas shown that aren't exactly as per OEM - discussed previously here.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 21:20   #19
phholden

Good luck with the project! Good to see another station wagon being rescued. You can also easily also get to the nut holding on the rear reflectors by removing the side trim panels as I do. Wrap some tape around a screwdriver and insert behind panel close to the trim clips and gently prise off the trim panel.
phholden is offline   Reply With Quote