Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BAROMETRIC SENSOR FAULT

Views : 2778

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 19:28   #1
k690bpp

last week as i was going over a pretty high speed bump my ecu light came on, volvo said it was the barometric sensor. they reset the codes and cleaned the sensor and sent me on my way - they only charged me £60 too!!!

but today as i was going over another high speed bump the ecu light came back on and i'm thinking its the sensor again. volvo want £125 to supply and fit the sensor but considering its a very straight forward job i'm going to fit it myself at £100.

but what i need to know is will the ecu light go off on its own when it detects the new sensor or will i have to pay volvo more money to clear the error codes???

because if the light does stay on i'll probably get volvo to do the repair as it'll probably work out cheaper.

thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 19:48   #2
tonyt5

it should go off after a few engine cycles, however why are you paying volvo daft money to read and reset your codes? obd2 code readers are available on e bay for around twenty five quid inc shipping i bought a creader a while back from the states and its saved me a mint
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 20:10   #3
k690bpp

what do you mean by a few engine cycles???

i did a search on ebay using "volvo obd2" as the keywords and nothing came up. :(

where did you get yours from and does it allow you to clear codes???

thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 20:20   #4
tonyt5

a few cycles is about 6, it should then clear if it doesnt disconnect the battery and it will reset ,go to e bay on the usa site, type in obd2 code reader and you will find a guy sellng the creader code reader there is lots for sale shipping about seven dollars make sure you get the type suitable for volvos as there are two types one is mainly for vag cars the other covers volvos and most other makes, yes they do clear codes and resets your light no problem
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 21:16   #5
k690bpp

is this the one you've got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

it says its not compatible with all volvo's, i've got a '98 s70r auto - whats yours???

any ideas what obd2 protocol my volvo would use???

how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...978467128&rd=1

thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 21:34   #6
tonyt5

yes the creader(the top one) will work on your volvo its the same scanner as mine, my car is a 98 v70 t5 which like yours is fully 0bd2 complient the earlier models with the fennex ecu were not, yours certainly is
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 21:40   #7
k690bpp

thanks for the info, i'll order one today!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 22:08   #8
tonyt5

no probs you will save a fortune, anyone who pays volvo to read their codes has more money than sense!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 22:29   #9
k690bpp

or less sense than money!?!?!?!?!?! ;)
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 00:45   #10
imac
Premier Member

Default RE: BAROMETRIC SENSOR FAULT

Some independants will read the codes for free. It's hardly labour intensive!!

I really need to get round to ordering an OBDII reader. I keep putting it off ;)