Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommend An Oil Filter Removal Tool (2001 2.4 NA 140PS)

Views : 469

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2019, 06:50   #1
LPTJoe

Default Recommend An Oil Filter Removal Tool (2001 2.4 NA 140PS)

As per the title chaps.

My car is a 2001 V70 140PS petrol variant. At present I only have the 'three arm' tightening or giant plier type oil filter removal tools, both of which I fear stand a good chance of damaging the plastic oil filter housing.

What are we all using? I'd imagine there's a decent tool available aftermarket that cups/fits the plastic filter housing for removal?

Suggestions and even better links to buy would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 12:44   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The cup style oil filter sockets (86mm, 16 flutes) seem OK but every time I've used one (any size) it feels as if it wants to slide off the filter. The pressure needed to keep it in place seems counter-intuitive to me. Sloppily wrapping the filter housing with masking tape relieves that problem but it's a silly looking step when one surely has the "correct socket" in his hand.

The "minimalist" style is more like a ring and gives you a more positive bite. You don't see these for sale very often.

The 3 jaw beauties I've seen are all huge and must won't fit where the oil pan is so close to the housing.

Those big pliers are for big machines.

I use my old style strap filter wrench. It has a built in handle which takes up slack in the strap thus tightening its grip on the canister as you turn it.
It's too big so I have lined it with a scrap of old leather belt.
The affixed handle severely limits access but that's OK. I position the tool on the filter and walk it to tightness. This leaves me with a small but solid 15º swing. I give it a few said 15º nudges to free it. It unscrews the rest of the way easily.

You can buy such a strap wrench without a handle. They accept a 3/8" drive and some have that 3/8" receiver on a swivel but again, be careful you don't buy one of such chunky construction it too can't negotiate the small swing zone.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 15:37   #3
JoeNinety

Having to manage oil changes on a variety of vehicles (Audi/MX5/Volvo/MG) I have all of the above except a strap wrench, but my go to is a dismantled and rebuilt chain wrench.
I lock the chain into an O2 sensor socket, to use a 1/2" drive on it.

Most makers of these things have clearly never been under a car to remove an oil filter, and thus all those items with a handle, inline, are practically useless. The cup ones, and the three pronged ones seem to have no grip.

Your post has prompted my to buy one of these, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVE-1-2...8AAOSw0A9c9lnM
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 21:48   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

if you dont want to buy the cup style you can get this style which works well.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/t...AK644&0&t5_444

(not this price, just example of what I'm talking about)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 08:13   #5
LPTJoe

Thanks chaps, I've taken a chance and bought one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practical...53.m2749.l2649

At £8.50 delivered it's a quid more expensive than the Laser 3991 but looks to have a deeper cup and also allows for use of a spanner as well as a 3/8 ratchet/extension (By the look of it!) so a couple of advantages.

It's Chinese so it could be awful frankly, but it's a pretty crude device and at that money it's hardly breaking the bank. I'll report back once I've tried it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:06   #6
JoeNinety

Interesting no-one recommended the cup style....why ask?
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 12:13   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I hope it has enough grip etc.
If it wants to jump off the filter housing remember, you only need it to loosen it. You can easily unscrew it by hand.
Don't forget to add whatever to enhance grip if necessary.
By "whatever" I mean double faced tape (a little or a lot, who cares?). A piece of an old torn up silicone swimming cap could help.

Also, a note on tightening: You lube the large O ring with clean oil and screw it in by hand. I've not needed the wrench to tighten. You can feel the O ring gliding merrily in it's bore then the housing shoulders out. It stops.

The lever advantage of any tool may lead an inexperienced mechanic to tighten the devil out of it.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 19:26   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNinety View Post
Interesting no-one recommended the cup style....why ask?
I do recommend the cup style but I suggested the other type in case you have a couple of vehicles that you work on so a one size fits all jobbie
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 22:13   #9
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
Thanks chaps, I've taken a chance and bought one of these...

If it's correctly sized, it should be working fine. It's a cast model (no welds) and with tall walls, so should be very solid. I have two models, one like in the link, and a black steel one with tall walls and nut welded all around - also very solid and doesn't slide. It does 'catch' when tightening, but I just switch the ratchet and turn a little the other way to release it.

Mind you, we should never overtighten the filter housing, it seems the torque is only 25 Nm (18 ft-lb), but myself I'm tightening it even less. Basically, you may not even torque it and it will stay in place because of the rubber seal (still safe to give it a last wrench 'kick' when it stops turning by hand).

I also recommend replacing the drain plug with a good brand. The original one is often times beaten up and gets some slack inside the socket (kind of unnerving when it's time to release it). A new plug is really stress free to use.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 21:02   #10
LPTJoe

As promised I've come back to update this, in short the filter tool works and works well.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with helpful comments, here's the link should anyone else fancy it...

The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post: