Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I know it's cold but....

Views : 899

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:11   #1
Pacman

Default I know it's cold but....

....not this cold! (see attachment)

When I started my car yesterday the outside temperature reading was showing this, and my climate control went into overdrive in an effort to keep me "warm"!. I started it this morning and all was OK again.

Has this happened anywhere else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image332 (Small).jpg (31.6 KB, 131 views)
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:56   #2
mike-s40

Exactly the same happened to my 2005 S40 on monday.

started it this morning & its back to normal.

Its booked in at the dealers to be looked at later this week.
mike-s40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 14:43   #3
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
....not this cold! (see attachment)

When I started my car yesterday the outside temperature reading was showing this, and my climate control went into overdrive in an effort to keep me "warm"!. I started it this morning and all was OK again.

Has this happened anywhere else?
where exactly are you living? North pole. hehe..

I am shocked.. -40c. I must go check it out next time the chill visits us. Can't believe this sort of poor sensor design may be in my car too.

cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 22:51   #4
Jimah

Default S40 minus 40 degrees display

Same thing happened today on my 05 S40 it was quite frightening. What did the dealers say and has it happened again?
Jimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:26   #5
mike-s40

The dealers initially just reset the electronics & it was ok for a couple of weeks & then re-occurred. At the same time it had the the problem with passenger doors not unlocking, dealers advised that the problems were in fact linked as the external temp sensor is in the wing mirror & it was the electrical connections in a connector block that was causing both. They replaced part of the wiring loom & it has been fine since.
mike-s40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 17:40   #6
Multiplex

The ambient temp sensor is located in the left hand mirror....

The wiring from this sensor runs through the door harness and connects to a connector on the a-pillar. The small terminals in the connector are prone to fretting corrosion and can cause problems with the temp reading, the central lock and the power windows.

Volvo introduced a procedure to apply grease into the connector terminals to prevent the fretting taking place. If the grease has allready been applied to your vehicles terminals and the problem is still there then there are gold plated terminals available that will prevent further problems.

Your Volvo dealer should be aware of this.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 16:20   #7
Squaggle

The gold terminal replacement is a special order part but appears to fix the problem ask for one as soon as the fault appears i had 6 visits to the garage until they finally fitted one They even changed the door module at a cost of £1000 to no avali Nice new gold terminal block fitted problem solved
Squaggle is offline   Reply With Quote