Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneven Brake Pad Contact

Views : 1392

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2015, 22:18   #11
magnuz
Ancient

It's quite a common problem on most cars with discs on the rear.
The rear brakes don't really need to work hard & often get a build up of rust on the disc.
To help keep the rear brake discs clean i regularly pull the handbrake on slightly when going down steep hills !
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 13:02   #12
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Just to update, the local garage took a look and decided it's due to the discs/pads corroding due to their age, and just recommended I get both the discs and pads replaced before the next MOT.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 14:19   #13
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Bah - no need for that. Just apply the brakes moderately a few times until they are shiney again. If that doesn't work you have a different issue.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 05:10   #14
shanegtr

Here in Australia the only brake rotors I ever see looking that bad are normally on boat trailers. If it was mine I'd be putting new rotors and pads in

shanegtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 08:56   #15
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwacky View Post
Just to update, the local garage took a look and decided it's due to the discs/pads corroding due to their age, and just recommended I get both the discs and pads replaced before the next MOT.
How old (Miles & years) are the discs ??

Did you use OEM certified standard quality brake pads and service the sliders, pins et al ??

The V40 does tend to wear out or corrode back brakes (Including calipers) slightly faster than some other cars of the same era. The reason is that although they used high quality brake parts, the air flow pattern around the rear axle of longer estate cars, does result in more salty spray around the stern section, hence faster corrosion. The splash guards also corrode fairly quality due to too thin a Zinc coating.
My back brake pads wore out before my fronts (All new front and rear Volvo parts fitted at the same time after purchase) and the disc wear was enough to indicate that the discs are only good for 2 sets of pads, so the discs were not changed. The wear on the front discs was minimal.

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THAT THE BACK BREAKING SYSTEM IS IN REAL GOOD CONDITION (INCLUDING THE CALIPERS), COS THE ABS SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW MAX FRONT BRAKE PRESSURE IF THE REAR BRAKES WILL NOT REACH A POTENTIAL LOCK UP. So if only one of the rear discs can't be slowed down correctly (Intermittent full lock), the resulting braking distance performance can be dramatically worse.

If you are short of dosh, just drive slowly along a road that is not too busy whilst pulling the handbrake. KEEP THE BUTTON PRESSED IN AND BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T DO A HANDBRAKE TURN BY MISTAKE !!
That might clean up the discs.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 8th, 2015 at 09:09.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote