Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent errors and warnings - ECU issue?

Views : 591

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 13:18   #1
waloob

Default Intermittent errors and warnings - ECU issue?

My 2014 reg v40 has been great for the last 4 years, but a while back I had a few errors come up (pedestrain safety service required) then the power steering stopped working. I was just parking up, and when I came back to the car it was ok. About a month later it happened again, then was ok again.

Since then the warnings have become more varied and frequent, and now they come up every time I use the car. I get every single possible warning, from ABS to low oil, in completely random order and multiple times (i.e. clear the message and it'll come back a few seconds or minutes later).

As well as all this the power steering stops working, indicators also don't work (hazards do), and it's dificult to get into 5th and 6th gear. Presumably this is due to running in engine protection mode (don't know the technical term!)?

I also get other errors relating to the handbrake being on, seatbelts not being fastened and even doors being opened. These cause the 'gong' to sound repeatedly, but this is also intermitted and comes and goes constantly.

Occasionaly the immobiliser cuts in and it won't start, but this eventually clears.

Among all of this, the car drives perfectly (aside from steering, indicators and gears). It is due for a service but they have advised getting these issues sorted first.

Three garages have looked at it and reset all the warnings, after which they all return any time from a few seconds to several minutes later. They all experienced communication issues when connecting to the various ECUs and have suggested it could be a bad elcetrical connection somewhere.

The battery was suspected but replacing this had no effect. Particulate filter warning does not come on so it's not that.

I called my nearest Volvo main dealer (in Inverness) and they as much as said they're not interested in cars that old.

I bought a Thinkdiag device that connects to an app on my phone, and a few times when it wouldn't start I've used this to reset the ABS issue, which has then allowed me to start the car. But this is hit and miss as I get the same communication issues. I suspect this is due to the keyless ignition timing out whilst testing.

I'm hoping someone reading this will say, "I had this and all I had to do was...<insert something cheap and easy here>"!

Joking aside, any insights or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading.
waloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 18:36   #2
BBA

My guess first need clean all terminals in CEM
BBA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBA For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 18:49   #3
waloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
My guess first need clean all terminals in CEM
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 22:12   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Get it hooked up to VIDA, it’ll give a clearer idea of what’s failing.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 11:08   #5
waloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Get it hooked up to VIDA, it’ll give a clearer idea of what’s failing.TT
No-one around here has a VIDA, nearest is the Volvo dealer an hour away and they're not responding.

I can't even get anyone local to look at the CEM.
The Following User Says Thank You to waloob For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 11:45   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloob View Post
No-one around here has a VIDA, nearest is the Volvo dealer an hour away and they're not responding.

I can't even get anyone local to look at the CEM.
I’m assuming your nearest dealer is in Inverness. How’re you trying to contact them?

TT
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 12:07   #7
waloob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I’m assuming your nearest dealer is in Inverness. How’re you trying to contact them?TT
Phone, they're an hour away. I've called about a dozen times and left messages, the receptionist told me 'off the record' that they're too busy to deal with old cars.

I'll persevere with local garages, I have a couple to try, otherwise I'll drive to the Volvo dealer, or call their head office.
The Following User Says Thank You to waloob For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 13:33   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Phone, they're an hour away. I've called about a dozen times and left messages, the receptionist told me 'off the record' that they're too busy to deal with old cars.

I'll persevere with local garages, I have a couple to try, otherwise I'll drive to the Volvo dealer, or call their head office.
Gawd blimey…. That’s outrageous. I’d be contacting Volvo UK with that one. I’ve had this with VW and Citroen where I’ve been messed about by the dealers. It’s amazing how things start to move when H/O get onto them because a customer is going to make their product look bad. I feel your pain.

TT
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 14:16   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
My 2014 reg v40 has been great for the last 4 years, but a while back I had a few errors come up (pedestrain safety service required) then the power steering stopped working. I was just parking up, and when I came back to the car it was ok. About a month later it happened again, then was ok again.

Since then the warnings have become more varied and frequent, and now they come up every time I use the car. I get every single possible warning, from ABS to low oil, in completely random order and multiple times (i.e. clear the message and it'll come back a few seconds or minutes later).

As well as all this the power steering stops working, indicators also don't work (hazards do), and it's dificult to get into 5th and 6th gear. Presumably this is due to running in engine protection mode (don't know the technical term!)?

I also get other errors relating to the handbrake being on, seatbelts not being fastened and even doors being opened. These cause the 'gong' to sound repeatedly, but this is also intermitted and comes and goes constantly.

Occasionaly the immobiliser cuts in and it won't start, but this eventually clears.

Among all of this, the car drives perfectly (aside from steering, indicators and gears). It is due for a service but they have advised getting these issues sorted first.

Three garages have looked at it and reset all the warnings, after which they all return any time from a few seconds to several minutes later. They all experienced communication issues when connecting to the various ECUs and have suggested it could be a bad elcetrical connection somewhere.

The battery was suspected but replacing this had no effect. Particulate filter warning does not come on so it's not that.

I called my nearest Volvo main dealer (in Inverness) and they as much as said they're not interested in cars that old.

I bought a Thinkdiag device that connects to an app on my phone, and a few times when it wouldn't start I've used this to reset the ABS issue, which has then allowed me to start the car. But this is hit and miss as I get the same communication issues. I suspect this is due to the keyless ignition timing out whilst testing.

I'm hoping someone reading this will say, "I had this and all I had to do was...<insert something cheap and easy here>"!

Joking aside, any insights or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading.
try joining vos Volvo owners Scotland. Facebook group and ask if any one has vida who will scan your car there are loads of volvo groups on Facebook join a few to get more volvo enthusiasts contacts. ps check for any water ingress near the cem area.

Last edited by Simmy; Nov 16th, 2023 at 14:21.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 14:41   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:

I’ve only ever found Volvo dealers to be mediocre for the price they charge so a kick up the ar5e needs to be dispensed from time to time. To be told they’re not interested in older models needs to be sorted out and hopefully with Volvo UK watching them why they do it. I’ve had wheel bolts left loose, damaged airbox, poor customer service while spending a lot of money with them. Time to get shouty mate.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:

Tags
ecu, electrical issues, engine check, v40, warning light