Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The lost art of overtaking

Views : 6643

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 13:38   #1
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Default The lost art of overtaking

Why are most people unwilling or scared of overtaking? They obviously WANT to go faster otherwise they wouldn't be tailgating each other so closely. I see it all the time.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 14:35   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I have scientifically studied this for many, many years There are a few answers:-

Not taught to overtake any more ?
Roads too busy?
Scared of someone speeding up as you overtake them?
Scared of road rage?
Car isn't quick enough?
Don't know how to 'get their gears down' ?
Don't look any further than the car in front, so no planning of overtakes ?
'Get out of my way', rather than getting out of the way, (by overtaking) ?

I think the last one is true of a lot of drivers these days. Same as on a motorway where you are already making good progress but someone sits an inch from your back bumper, despite the traffic in front and to the side.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Aug 23rd, 2023 at 14:39.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 15:00   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

that overtake in the vid is not good. he only just makes it back before the hatched section of road i hope he never encounters another driver doing the same kind of thing coming in the opposite direction this is how people have major accidents .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 17:46   #4
Phil Croxley

I think it's the lost art of driving generally.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 18:17   #5
AlwaysLearning

That was an "I'm going too fast to pull in".

Folk think overtaking is going as fast as possible to get past when it should be to go fast enough.

Most people think they're a better than average driver but few do any training after passing. Where I grew up it was common to take a winter driving course so you were better prepared to drive on slippery surfaces, and had kit in your car to survive in a snowstorm.

Question to the viewers ... how many cars in that line would you have passed before pulling in?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysLearning For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 18:45   #6
Phil Croxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post

Folk think overtaking is going as fast as possible to get past when it should be to go fast enough.

Most people think they're a better than average driver but few do any training after passing. Where I grew up it was common to take a winter driving course so you were better prepared to drive on slippery surfaces, and had kit in your car to survive in a snowstorm.

Question to the viewers ... how many cars in that line would you have passed before pulling in?
That's a good question although difficult to answer as you would need to be there at the time. I've found that in most cases it really doesn't matter how and when I overtake because ultimately I'll end up behind a mustard coloured Nissan Micra doing not much at all, and usually just as a dual carriageway becomes one lane and I haven't got there in time!
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 20:14   #7
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

The thing that i can`t fathom is why did the two cars touch their brakes ?
The first time i watched it i did think it was a bit extreme . The more i watch it the less so . Difficult to call really , as Phil says.
VOLVOBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 20:16   #8
Chris1Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post

Don't take off if you don't have somewhere to land.

Quote:
None, as it appears to be a 30 limit, maybe 40 tops.

Speed limit notwithstanding, one - once the first car was passed there was a bus stop and a small junction next to it on the right.

Don't overtake past junctions.

The first time the camera car looked, an overtake wasn't 'on' either, even if the other car wasn't approaching.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 09:34   #9
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Definitely an example of the lost art of overtaking, the overtaking car was far too close to the last car before the overtake meaning that its view of the road ahead was impaired causing the duck in and out manouver to see ahead, and then hen the overtake did occur it had to pull out before any significant acceleration thereby making the time on the wrong side of the road longer.
Or just take a deep breath, chill your beans, drop back from the bunch of traffic, and cope with the fact that your safe journey may be a few seconds longer.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:06   #10
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

It's a difficult one to call as it's dark and the camera distorts the view to a degree.
The overtaker appears to steam up behind the last car rather, but it's the car behind the silver one at the front that seems too close, neither overtaking nor leaving space for someone who does want to. Maybe they don't want to overtake because they know they'll be turning off in a couple of hundred yards - who knows?
As to why those two cars touched their brakes, perhaps they were anticipating a failed overtake and were ready to give him/her space to pull in? Too many imponderables, but it looks a dodgy manoeuvre for reasons already mentioned.