Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corrosion on Wheels (winter) Less than 1 Year Old

Views : 73524

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 19:17   #21
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Not really as the underlying metal is fine, the issue at play is the overall thin paint system Borbet are using powder is a) expensive b) limited in colour choice for many c) eco cred for using environmentally friendly paints etc.

This is why many have moved away from it for OEM wheels and unfortunately in many cases it is no where near as "strong" (excluding the potential for imperfect surface prep and sealing as well as cracking of the powder) as powder based wheel coatings.

This is before I even bring up Diamond Cut finishes.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 19:20   #22
mollusk
VOC Member

Almost certainly not - we're talking about a failure of the coating on the wheel leading to, unsightly, but surface deterioration.
It would take many years to corrode to the extent structural integrity would be compromised.

Aluminium alloy corrodes rather differently to steel - steel rusts and will continue to oxidise and weaken. Alloy will form a aluminium oxide layer which to a large degree inhibits further corrosion - to a certain extent it's self healing. With the paint coating failed the underlying alloy will rapidly become very scabby and unsightly (and certainly shouldn't happen on an expensive car/wheel) but as for being dangerous - not unless the wheel was verrrry badly made or already had damaging cracks.

I'm certainly ticked off that my wheels have performed as they have, but as for being dangerous, that is the last thing I shall worry about! (and I'm an ex automotive engineer).

Mollusk.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mollusk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 13:12   #23
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Update:
Third party to refurbish wheels on the understanding that no warranty provided from Volvo (lucky they have a 3 year warranty direct from them then!).

However, Volvo UK have accepted the quote for refurbishment. Happy Days, now just to book it in which will be January (yes they are that busy).
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 21:56   #24
Daniel TD5

I took my xc60 wheel off to install a 2nd hand set off winters

When inspecting found very poor paint finish image.jpg

Vukcs not interested two engineers came out to inspect and said looks ok
From a few feet away so that ok
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 13:09   #25
Gazbo123

Unhappy Wheels just starting to show signs of corrosion

Recently noticed slight corrosion in the creases where the spokes of my alloys meet the rims. Not on all the wheels though? Used the same method of cleaning all the wheels so this shouldn't be the the cause. I was going to take the car to the dealer before it gets any worse. Don't expect this on a top of the range vehicle which has only covered 10,000 miles! Seems like some people have the same problem but get no joy off their dealer. Will I be wasting my time or would it be better going straight to Volvo u k ?
Gazbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 12:26   #26
anotherv60
Master Member

Looks to me like Filiform corrosion, this is introduced as a manufacturing defect when making the coating and the alloy wheel in manufacture - do you live near the sea or have you spent time at the coast? its often accelerated by salt and acidic conditions (i.e. bird ****)
anotherv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 20:19   #27
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Any type of painted wheel is a waste of money. Just fit winter tyres to your OEM alloy wheels if you are up North and need to use winter tyres.

It's a good idea to remove the tyres every 6 months to check for damage, change valves, replace edge sealant and balance etc.

If you increase the wheel weight with steel wheels it has a very slightly negative effect on braking performance on a bumpy road.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 16th, 2017 at 22:19.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 08:46   #28
munis kashin

Default corrosion chrome trim CX90 less than 2y old

Bought my new CX90 less than 2y ago.noticed a start of corrosion on OFS rear chrome window trim which spread to all windows but none of other chrome trims of the car.
Dealer refused to do anything claiming it is due to PH of the washing liquid and not covered by the warranty.
Any one has similar problem??
munis kashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 09:19   #29
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Do you actually use washing liquid to wash the car? It's true that the ph is bad for the paintwork so probably not something you'd want to admit as part of a warranty claim. The trim around the rear windows on my 2008 XC70 have gone slightly cloudy but after nearly 10 years of exposure to the elements it's not surprising. You could try gently cleaning with a paint restorer and then put on several coats of quality UV protecting wax to keep it at bay.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 22:47   #30
D4RKLORDZ
Curt Martindale

Lightbulb Are your alloys new ? Are they corroding strangly ?

THE ANSWER TO WHY ALLOY WHEEL CORROSION IS HAPPENING
If your one of the many people who attend car valet centres , the type where you get at least 6 people cleaning your car for you then this is for you. As your in that line of cars waiting to go through the initial car wash , you will of noticed a chap spraying a chemical on to your alloy wheels and windscreens bumpers etc. Well the problem is if its a hot day and your in around 5 place to get washed the guy will walk up and down the line spraying more chemical as to stop it from drying. the chemical people is what is destroying your alloys . its too powerful and as a car painter I can factually tell you that there is very little lacquer on the rims from factory. bearing in mind diamond cut rims are pure aluminium and the lacquer only remains on the rim with the aide of an inhibitor . once the wheel acid penetrates the lacquer the alloy is contaminated. STOP using wheel acid if your wheels have light break dust on them just soap and water. nothing else. the next time your in a car wash observe the colour of the windows as the acid also eats into all chrome plastic and rubber such as wipers. If honest im surprised car manufacturers have not added a clause for warranty claims. ALL FACT
D4RKLORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4RKLORDZ For This Useful Post: