Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate lights

Views : 1208

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2018, 21:52   #1
rustytoba
Master Member

Default Number plate lights

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the number plate lights with anything a little less temperamental.

I've already modified both of them a few years ago to accept small festoon bulbs the the old holders had overheated causing the little leaf spring holders to crack.

Now they seem to work ok off the car but as soon as they are seated in the bodywork nothing!

They could be shorting out but perhaps its time for a more reliable alternative.

As ever any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 22:30   #2
Davey240

Have you thought about fitting LED's?. My wife has an old S40 which are notorious for eating bulbs, i seem to be replacing one every other week. I have replaced a couple with LED's and they seem to last a lot longer, maybe because they give off less heat. Fitting them to your 240 may give it a more modern look which may not to be to everyones liking and it may be worth checking their legality / MOT compatibility. Dave
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey240 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:03   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoba View Post

Now they seem to work ok off the car but as soon as they are seated in the bodywork nothing!
Have you checked the earth connections?

9/10 lighting faults are a poor earth.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 15:22   #4
blueblock

FWIW, I replaced the bulbs with LED units and they are much better - brighter and clearer and the light doesn't look weirdly white, but I think that may have something to do with my car being a dark colour - if it was a white car it might be a bit jarringly bright against the paintwork.
They passed the MOT no problem.
blueblock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blueblock For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 19:22   #5
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi All,

Have checked the earth connections and they seem ok but decided to put some heat shrink on spade terminals just to play it safe.

To be honest both units are in pretty poor shape having been subject to a number of overhauls in the past I think if they make it to MOT time I'll be more than lucky although like Baldrick I may have a cunning plan!

I was behind what looked like a fairly new trailer this morning, that seemed to have some LED registration light units that wouldn't look to out of place.

A good excuse to look at car building solutions, vehicle wiring products etc

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0177.jpg (139.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0178.jpg (160.5 KB, 10 views)
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 21:03   #6
hennabm

When I bought my 240 the lamps were somewhat rusty and the screws almost rotted off.

I bought a new pair from Brookhouse and they are now just push in, so no more rusty screws. I also fitted LEDs and they stay cool and look good.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hennabm For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 08:02   #7
rtbcomp

I used a pair from Towsure as I needed some in a hurry. They screwed to the panel above the plates rather than fit in the existing holes, which isn't perfect but they work OK.

https://www.towsure.com/trailer-number-plate-lamp-small

https://www.towsure.com/towbars-towi...ight-units?p=1

This might be a good alternative

https://www.towsure.com/10-30v-led-t...ber-plate-lamp
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 11:03   #8
AlexO

Second buying new units from Brookhouse. Some of the best money I ever spent on the 240 and a complete piece of p*ss to install.

Alex
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 12:07   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Brookhouse charges a fortune fro delivery. Just go into your local dealer and order some from the parts counter.

You'd be amazed what you can get from your local dealer. Where do you think Brookhouse gets it all from????

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 14:21   #10
rustytoba
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Brookhouse charges a fortune fro delivery. Just go into your local dealer and order some from the parts counter.

You'd be amazed what you can get from your local dealer. Where do you think Brookhouse gets it all from????
Thanks for the pointer however local dealers are hit and miss, clearly yours works well, mine sticks strictly to the 15 year policy thus making it the worst main dealer for miles losing shed loads of classic owners and local garages alike (its also a Ford and Jaguar dealer).

I stopped using them about 8 years ago when they decided to start this rubbish I was in the queue with three XK140 owners that day, they'd came all the way from Oban to order parts they where seriously miffed but at least they got there cars out for a wee run..

This is why I end up having to use Skandix a lot off the time as luck would have it I normally need what Brookhouse has just sold out of, sods law I guess.

Scott