Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon!

Views : 7924

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 23:43   #1
robwizard

Default My Amazon!

So I bought an Amazon on Ebay.. and went to collect it today. It was a fair old bit rustier than I thought it was going to be.. but not so bad I don't think.. I had also just got a four hour train so though I would throw caution to the winds rather than return empty handed!

Here is a picture from the listing..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picked it up about half one.. spent about an hour on the phone to various insurance companies getting my previous quotes changed because "the system just changes.." ridiculous.. but whatever.. set off on my 150 odd mile journey back to Chester!

Got to about 130 mile and it stopped.. actually to be precise the lights stopped.. then it stopped.. then it wouldn't start again. Basically as it began to get dark I realized the lights only work on full beam. That combined with having the heating on seems to have totally drained the battery as once I got a fresh one in it I was seen home! Hooray!!

I will upload more pictures come the weekend. Their are a few problem areas, lots of surface rust around the floor, rotten through just behind the rear wheels on the sort of rear sill part? and also a hole rusted through on the front bumper. Also no carpets.. and only one of the sidelights works. No indicators or brake lights at the back.. only sidelights and full beams at the front. ALSO.. the amp light was on alllll the time. Does this mean good or bad? Probably bad..

Please advise me on all of the above issues

Many thanks!

Rob (proud new Amazon owner!)
robwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robwizard For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 00:02   #2
robwizard

I'm starting to think that perhaps my lack of headlights is due to a little button on the floor next to the clutch pedal.. I will investigate further come tomorrow.

Can someone recommend me the best repair panels?

Cheers
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 01:12   #3
Faust
Master Member

Congratulations on your purchase!

First thing; the button next to the clutch pedal is the dip/high beam activation switch. Press it and see what happens!

Rear lights and indicators; check the bulbs are OK, check the fuse and if they still don't work clean up the earths in the boots and this will hopefully sort it for you.

Carpets: I may be told I'm wrong, but i don't think any Amazons came as 'standard' with carpets. There should be a hard rubber mat material on the interior floor.

Amp light on all the time; is your car fitted with an alternator or dynamo? Either way, if the dash light is glowing you've got problems. Have you got a multimeter? Take a reading at idle across the battery terminals and post up what it is.

If you put some pics up of the rusty areas you'll get good advice on how to proceed...

Don't worry though - you've bought a damn tough car which can be used every day with ease. Most problems with them can be solved relatively easily, and you'll get good advice from everyone on this forum (the members on here have saved me a LOT of hassle with my car!).
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 08:34   #4
ibvolvoholic

Nice car. Faust nailed it. Not too hard to fix but if you don't you'll eat another battery. Also check ground straps in engine bay for rust and corrosion.

(2) 245's and (1) 244GL
ibvolvoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 09:58   #5
robwizard

Cheers lads I'm on it! Dropped it off at work last night as it's closer than home so my pops is gonna ferry it home for me today.. I do remember pressing the little button curiously so I'm guessing that will sort the lights out..

The guy I got it off had started stripping it out as he wanted to do some rallying and what not.. so he pulled the carpets out, stripped any sound deadening (I guess?) and so the floor is just bare metal. Need to sort that out.. probably wire brush/rust convert it and get some epoxy primer or some such down. Then commence carpeting!

I will investigate further and get some pics up in a bit

Thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 10:19   #6
robwizard

Done a bit of reading and I'm thinking that if I want the heater, wipers, lights and radio (when I get a radio) going then I might need more than the dynamo.. it's 64 so gonna be a dynamo right? So I wanna get an alternator in it.. I'm just looking at Delco ones on the bay, can anyone recommend one?

Cheers
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:39   #7
Bladerider
Amazoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwizard View Post
so the floor is just bare metal. Need to sort that out.. probably wire brush/rust convert it and get some epoxy primer or some such down. Then commence carpeting!

Thanks!
If floor rusty, chances are windscreen leaks, suggest get that sorted before carpets.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:57   #8
robwizard

The front floor is totally sound.. it's the rear passenger floors that are showing the rust.. so perhaps the rear windows/screen? Are new seals available from anywhere?

Cheers
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 12:07   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Check your fuse box and make sure the stubby top fuse is working fine with good clean connections. This needs to be good or you'll get no charging. Check your bulbs, but being out is usually down to poor earths due to corrosion. Be patient as you go from one to another. Get the whole car going properly as is before you start to think about making changes like dynamo to alternator.
If you're asking if it has a dynamo, get a Haynes before you do anything else.
Good luck with it. I expect we'll be hearing more from you.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 13:02   #10
robwizard

Yeah it's still at the yard at the moment but should be getting it home later on so will investigate further and see what the score is. Obviously want to get it running right before doing anything further.. Will probably be able to give it a once over on Sunday!

Cheers