Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How hot is your heater?

Views : 4282

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2016, 19:09   #1
Scootersp

Default How hot is your heater?

Just wondering how warm people's xc60's heaters get?

Mines a 175 bhp fwd 2009 version if it makes a difference, just seems a bit Luke warm (certainly compared to my weekend petrol car anyway) even on 'Hi' setting. There is no issue of window clearing and it gets generally pleasant after a while and initially it's helped by heated seats, just if you got in and wanted to really warm things up for a cold shivering passenger the option doesn't seem to be there?

Is mine below par compared to yours is essentially my question?
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 20:00   #2
bobby2000
VOC Member

I find mine needs a good 10 minutes to get hot against my Peugeot's which only takes about 5 minutes at most, a different sort of system I guess. I think the Peugeot's heater gets it heat before the thermostat opens rather than after, I might be wrong, but Pugs heaters definitely warm up a lot quicker.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 23:41   #3
wilbydoughboy

If I want speedy warm up I turn air con off and max heat setting with blower 2/3rds on. I can feel warmth after a couple of minutes but I would say 5 to 10 minutes to get really hot. I put seats on 1 bar to warm passenger as the other settings get too hot but I never get really hot air to the feet setting. I had a Humber Sceptre and the heater for the feet was the best.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 12:59   #4
Scootersp

Ta chaps, I agree on the heated seat 1 bar is plenty!

Mine just seems to lack the ability to make it too hot if you know what I mean? so whilst I'm not cold ever, if I drive for an hour with it on 'Hi' it still seems it's 'just right' and not overly hot. Most other cars you can make it unbearably hot after a time.

After searching on here I'm going to vacuum the sensor on the dash in case that's fluffed up.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 15:05   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

vacuum the sensor but don't poke anything into it - not a simple repair as I know from experience on a v70!
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 19:40   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Checked mine tonight and can say it is hot - very hot!

I turned the heater up to max, blower to max and redirected everything to the centre vents. I also changed the display to elegance so I could see the engine temperature.

The air started to get warm within a few hundred yards, but stayed relatively cool for a mile or so, then as the garage rose the temperature rose - there was a noticeable jump just before normal operating temp was reached and at that point the air got very hot - this was about 5 miles into the journey.

Try this and see if your behaves similarly?
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 10:42   #7
Scootersp

I can't switch to see engine temps (I don't think) on my older model.

It was icy this morning and cleared things fine, it just doesn't get super warm from the blowers no matter what I try. It does get warmer the longer I drive, and also I'm not sure on this but I think it's warmer if I drive the car harder, eg compared to when I'm stuck in traffic idling...maybe thermostat issues, is that common?

Still need to vacuum first, i'll try that asap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scootersp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 12:48   #8
Scootersp

Ok a little follow up for future searchers.

A hoover of the internal sensor seemed to improve things at little (possible placebo!?)

Also noticed more that at higher revs motorway 70mph cruising it was better, or generally when in more of a hurry, compared to ambling or in traffic.

This weekend I get the "Coolant system service required". Now I had this for a few days a week or so after I got the car back in Mar/April time this year, but it went away and never returned until now!

When it does this, there is no noticeable difference when driving. I did notice though that on a short hop round to a friends (ie engine still stone cold on arrival) that the front engine/rad fan continued to run on. I have looked this up and seen this is a 'fail safe' mode, ie when the system is confused it's better to play it safe and cool everything!

Then on the way to work today, the same warning popped up (within a few hundred yards) however half way through the commute the message was no longer stored again. (possibly coincidentally the heater was working very well at this point)

I will obviously keep this updated, but I suspect an intermittent issue with the coolant sensor or issue with the thermostat (which I've research and typically found it's in a right pita place on my particular model).
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 14:44   #9
Warkman

The only thing I find is that the heated fro
nt screen is a lot slower to operate than the one did in my S-Max

Nothing wrong with it, just a little slower
Warkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 14:52   #10
lordlichfield

I find the HFS slow too. I had a Galaxy with it and it worked much faster on the Galaxy. Also I think the fan speed isn't powerful enough. And then warm up time. With all the other gubbins on my car can take 20 minutes to get operating temp on a cold day.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote