Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How hot is your heater?

Views : 4272

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2016, 17:21   #11
benr7310
Master Member

Slow heating even on a long motorway drive is usually thermostat.

Mine gets so hot even in this weather. Takes about 7-8 mins of driving in really cold weather though.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 13:23   #12
Scootersp

I agree that thermostat is almost certainly the cause, only thing I find strange is the intermittent nature of my issue doesn't really fit with my understanding of a thermostat in that it'll either stay open ie be properly broken! or gradually get worse so it will open at a lower than optimal temperature. Not be ok one day, worse the next and back to ok.

I have had another commute this morning, with no warning lights and as toasty as it gets heater.

I'm hoping to get through the Christmas period until a work colleague who is currently abroad comes back with his Vida Dice and we can perhaps monitor it from cold one evening.
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 13:41   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

you don't need to go to the expense or complexity of VIDA

I use an ELM 327 (wifi version) with OBD Auto Doctor on my iPhone and I get all the details that are needed. If you have Android then get the ELM327 (Bluetooth version) and use the free Torque app.

They will enable you to see how quickly the engine is heating up and that will tell you if the thermostat is knackered - which I doubt as they very rarely fail, and highly unlikely in a new car.

Remember that the way the aircon works is to fist COOL the air and then heat it. This dries the air and stops you getting the misted windows - if you switch off the aircon then that stops the cooling aspect, but can result in badly misted windows
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 17:30   #14
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootersp View Post
I agree that thermostat is almost certainly the cause, only thing I find strange is the intermittent nature of my issue doesn't really fit with my understanding of a thermostat in that it'll either stay open ie be properly broken! or gradually get worse so it will open at a lower than optimal temperature. Not be ok one day, worse the next and back to ok.

I have had another commute this morning, with no warning lights and as toasty as it gets heater.

I'm hoping to get through the Christmas period until a work colleague who is currently abroad comes back with his Vida Dice and we can perhaps monitor it from cold one evening.
Then potentially a really rubbish thermostat..
Sticking open most of the time but is sometimes able to close.

If it was me I'd flush the system out, pull thermostat check it's operation. They are real cheap usually (not seen the volvo price for these..) and aren't hard. Once that's done see how it feels for a week or 2 and come back to us.

Edit: Just checked thermostat is around £70+ depending on supplier. Pretty pricey compared to the old £5-10 ones! As it's way out of warranty I'd say try euro car parts or car parts for less as they usually have discount codes so you might be able to bag a bargain.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft

Last edited by benr7310; Dec 14th, 2016 at 17:38.
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 13:52   #15
Scootersp

The problem is I think on my particular model the thermostat is really tucked out of the way (been researching on the XC70/V70 part of the forum where more people have encountered the awkward/rediculous placement)

Only reason I said about vida is I know someone that has one for their old V70 and was hassling me to plug it in mine to show me what it can do! I believe it even has repair/replacement guides etc? and just think that would be easier to get the exact right part numbers if needed and 100% confirm the stats location, but thanks for the link to a diagnostic tool for a phone. It's been behaving itself very well of late so haven't done any physical under the bonnet tracing coolant hoses etc to 100% confirm it's location. I know it's not on the front left of the head where I've seen images/videos of it.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 17:30   #16
D5meister
Premier Member

the thermistor is not used for the FULL ON heat case.

Here the fan strips whatever heat is available from the heater matrix

Airlock seem to be a thing of the past - but that could be part of it?

Or a kinked or collapsed pipe to or from the heater.

Or plug of debris / scum in the pipe

or the heater matrix itself could be gunked, a good way to gunk your rads is to mix blue coolant with pink or green, it curdles and your car suffers a coronary. Straight up..

Could coolant rad clean unipart do a twin pak, acid wash and conditioner.

Bit of a phaff but may work, bang new cooland in when done.?

The motorised diverter plate can go lazy on these, so I tend to select one zone like feet, face , or screen from one of the three buttons

So the flap parks better when told where to go

Last edited by D5meister; Dec 16th, 2016 at 17:33.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 18:06   #17
Scootersp

cheers, I'll have a good inspection soon, just to try and rule in/out things. I know the coolant is ok at least visually, the standard (I believe) green stuff and no signs of any sediment in the header tank, all looks fine there.

It's still being as good as gold though, no warning lights and a good heater (I don't know what is normal as such for a XC60) it's perfectly adequate anyway. But I know it hasn't gone away though these things never do, just a matter of time!
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 21:50   #18
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
If I want speedy warm up I turn air con off and max heat setting with blower 2/3rds on. I can feel warmth after a couple of minutes but I would say 5 to 10 minutes to get really hot. I put seats on 1 bar to warm passenger as the other settings get too hot but I never get really hot air to the feet setting. I had a Humber Sceptre and the heater for the feet was the best.
That's very different to mine. I have the heating zones set as from the factory and overall temperature at 20 or 21 C and the feet section is the warmest on mine. Very cosy.

Roy
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 17:05   #19
wilbydoughboy

Here is some basic temperature information that maybe of help. With the external temperature at 5c and after an 8 mile journey, I set the heating to 26c and the blower on 2/3rds power and with the air con off and the blower only coming from the mid vents, the reading I obtained by holding a temperature gauge in the hot air flow up against the centre vents above the gear lever was 110f. If I had the heater on max setting the reading went off the gauge.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 17:44   #20
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

That's 43c