Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number Plates

Views : 1457

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2017, 16:58   #11
VolvoFan
Master Member

I'm with the last two posts: my car is an L reg 1972 model.
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 18:26   #12
Underdrive

It's confusing because the new reg numbers came out in April (I think) each year so each suffix letter will span two calendar years.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 18:39   #13
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
It's confusing because the new reg numbers came out in April (I think) each year so each suffix letter will span two calendar years.
August 1st at that time, not April.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 20:45   #14
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
I think your age/reg suffix is wrong: my 164 is 'L' suffix, was registered in Dec 1972 but a '73 model and has been wearing pressed shiny alloy letters on a black background most of this century.
My 1800ES is also an 'L' suffix and dates from March 1973 and had similar style plates fitted by the previous owner who supplied a photographic restoration, from a decade ago.

P
Yes Triple-S the cars may be displaying them but I think you will find they are illegal. Having said that, I am sure there aren't too many present day traffic cops aware of this. I think he Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regs covers it. I no longer have a copy of this.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 21:08   #15
Dibble
VOC Member

Default Number plates

I was correct inasmuch as white/yellow plates were compulsory from 1st January, 1973, however there is now a 40 year rolling exemption whereby vehicles manufactured before 1 January, 1975 can display the older style plates. You must: have applied to DVLA, and be registered within the 'historic vehicles'.
The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April .
Google DVLA and read information sheet INF104 which can be downloaded and explains all.
This appears to beg the up-to-date.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 14:37   #16
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoFan View Post
What is the correct style of number plate for the front of a 1972 car? Should it be a pressed aluminium plate with a black background with raised silver characters, or an aluminium plate white reflective background and black plastic (separate) characters?

Thanks.
If by the question as to what is 'correct' you mean what was on the car when it was new, that would have been a white aluminium plate with raised black plastic letters/numbers fitted to the plate with spiral clips on the rear. The same at the rear on a yellow plate. You can put black/silver plates on the car now but these were being phased out starting in 1968 and as the white/yellow plates were 'new' people wanted them and they were fitted on the majority of new cars from the late 60's on, so by 72 your car would not have had them when first registered.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 16:39   #17
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

It is an interesting perspective. looking to what is strictly age specific or with historic nostalgic perspective.
I know that for me with this age of car I would move to the historic black background plates: not what would have happened for a new registration at the time but hey....
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 21:19   #18
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
It is an interesting perspective. looking to what is strictly age specific or with historic nostalgic perspective.
I know that for me with this age of car I would move to the historic black background plates: not what would have happened for a new registration at the time but hey....
I personally like the early reflective plates with raised plastic letters but for the same reason - nostalgia - to me they are redolent of the early 70's. By the mid to late 70's the pressed one piece plates had replaced them so they really werent around for long.
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 07:57   #19
Underdrive

Were those first white/yellow plates with raised letters actually reflective? I seem to remember they weren't but could be wrong...
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 08:01   #20
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
Were those first white/yellow plates with raised letters actually reflective? I seem to remember they weren't but could be wrong...
The rear ones definitely were - I still have an original pair for one of my cars - a J Reg. If you look at the 1968-9 colour pictures of the saint Volvo you can see their reflective ST1 plates.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post: