Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake issue...odd..any ideas???

Views : 600

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 10:50   #1
amazon69
Premier Member

Default Brake issue...odd..any ideas???

Hi all,

I could do with some ideas here.

I changed both handbrake cables on my late 131 twin circuit amazon for the MOT.
I also adjusted the rear brake pads whilst in there via the adjusters.

I had great brakes, handbrake tension and pedal feel for a couple of days.

Yesterday, I had a softer pedal. I went in and readjusted the pads through the holes in the drum, and they took a lot of adjusting, which was odd as I had only just done them and normally they only require a little tweak. Drove the car for a day.

Today, I have virtually no pedal and it is scary..takes about 3-4 pumps to get any pressure, and even that is not what it was. Have not had a chance to look at anything today as I am at work.

I was thinking the extra pressure has done for a seal in the Master Cylinder, but I don't know and don't want to buy an expensive master cylinder on an unfocused hunch.

Is it possible for the adjusters to loosen themselves off/strip themselves because of the increased tension etc from the new cables etc?

Could be the servo I suppose, but the only thing I touched was the handbrake cables, the adjusters and the tension of the cables under the car.

THANKS.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 19:35   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default Amazon brakes

My car has this set up. Each time the handbrake is applied, the metal strip on the h/brake drum lever rotates the ratchet wheel, which in turn lengthens the adjusting rod.
My first thought/guess is if you fit the adjusting rod (having dismantled both sides) into the opposite side of the car, could the adjusting rod operate and shorten in length as opposed to lengthening? Did you dismantle completely or just change the h/brake cables? I doubt the threads on the adjusting rods have stripped, especially both sides. You say you get a better pedal after 3 to 4 pumps. This leads me to believe you have air in the system, though how can you have sorted the issue by adjustment.
I would remove one of the rear drums, check the threads on the adjusting rod, if they look OK assemble them with a small amount of graphite grease or similar. Refit the adjusting rod at its shortest setting. With the drum still off, ensure that the operation of the handbrake does lengthen the rod as opposed to shortening it. Maybe worth while double checking the other side.It is a long time ago that I removed this set up and fitted the older type rods and manual adjusters to my 133.
Chris
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 19:57   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

Thanks Chris.

I only changed the handbrake cables. Didn't touch a brake line, so not convinced about air in the system.
I took the drums off again tonight (in the dark and rain, that was fun) and found that one of the adjuster levers was not contacting where it should. Put it together and it is worse, but it leads me to believe the answer lies in that system somewhere. adjusters and threads looked fine, maybe I over tightened things or something. Will have another go tomorrow hopefully. I appreciate the reply.

d
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 19:59   #4
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default Amazon brakes

As happens, we think of things later!!!
Could you have put the adjusting rod in, back to front, causing it to operate wrongly and back off the shoes?
Also ensure the new handbrake cables are "backed off" on their adjustment, adjust the inner drum adjusters first. Then set up the handbrake adjustment last.
With any fault, we always start with the last thing that we think we fixed.
Good luck. Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 20:13   #5
amazon69
Premier Member

Thanks bud. I didn't touch the adjusters until after fitment of everything, but I will start again tomorrow and do things in a different order. I'm pretty sure now that the problem is in there somewhere and not due to the servo/M/C. I did have the handbrake pretty tight the first time, maybe pushed something out.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 20:51   #6
simonvolvo

Does this pic help?
It shows the right hand rear wheel, with handbrake pulled up. The auto-adjust link (with clevis ends) on this side should have a left-handed thread. [The link on the left hand rear wheel should have a right-handed thread]. If you release the handbrake the tip of the horizontal part of the lever comes down and presses on the star wheel. If the link is too short the star wheel turns a little, which has the effect of lengthening the link until it will go no further.
My guess: if you need a few pumps on the pedal before you get pressure, there is a problem with one or both of those auto-adjust links. The links are supposed to keep the shoes just a fraction away from the drum when the pedal is released. If you need to pump the pedal a few times it means the shoes have moved too far away from the drum.
(Yes, I know, the shoes in the pic have their linings the wrong way round.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_01 079xred.JPG (191.3 KB, 28 views)
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 22:27   #7
amazon69
Premier Member

Yep..I'm sure the issue is in there with that lever and the rods. It was out of whack when i looked earlier. Going to wrestle with it and swear at it tomorrow, that generally works.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 23:10   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Slacken the handbrake cables. When adjusting, centralise the shoes first by giving the foot pedal several hard and sudden pushes. Adjust the brakes using the star wheel. Centralise the shoes again while doing this. Only then adjust the handbrake cable via the central adjuster to give 5 clicks of the handbrake lever. As a check, if the foot pedal feels harder after you have pulled up the brake lever 1 or 2 clicks then the shoes aren't adjusted up enough. Release the handbrake and try tightening the adjuster another click on both sides and if that isn't enough try another click. 2 more should be enough.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 10:03   #9
amazon69
Premier Member

I found that the lever that pushes down on the ratchet had popped out of the pad. Simple as that, but it had a massive effect. Thanks for all the help.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post: