Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Variable and lumpy idling.

Views : 2358

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 20:36   #1
Delta66

Default Variable and lumpy idling.

After the annual service (which included removing and cleaning the PCV box, which was described as full, but not completely blocked) of the 940 2.3 LPT, the idling varies that sometimes it is about 500 rpm and usually it is about 750 rpm. It is also a bit lumpy, as in the engine occasionally has a big shiver and the car rocks slightly.

Before the service sometimes the car would just cut out when idling, but that was very rare. Since the service there has been no cutting out.

Any thoughts on what is going on and what I could do?
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 20:57   #2
aardvarkash10
Master Member

A "Annual Service" including what exactly?

It sounds like a fuel side issue - the usual culprits include the throttle body requiring cleaning, vacuum leaks at the various signal level and intake hoses, and leaks at the injector seals.

Does it run ok under load ie when you are driving normally, or accelerating?
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 00:25   #3
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

Have you checked the idle control valve (under the intake maifold)? They get crud build up so can't operate properly - i usually clean mine with a good blast of carb cleaner at each service. It's where i'd start, plus no harm in removing and cleaning it even if it doesn't fix the issue (really easy job to which is a bonus)

Also, when was the fuel filter last changed? And i'd second checking for vacuum leaks/gasket leaks with easy start or wd40? Possible something was knocked or loosened during servicing.

One last one, when i got my new wagon (well as new as a '97 can be lol) the idle wasn't great but a simple swap to v power (other premium fuels are of course available if the lawers are reading) has helped no end. I've put 3 full tanks of it through now and you can tell the difference - v power especially has a lot of cleaning additives (swear i don't work for shell... )

Hope this is of some help - good luck.

PP
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePurplePanther For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 06:28   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What those two ^^^^^ said!

Also check the convoluted hose between the air mass meter (AMM) and the throttle body - i'd hazard a wild guess this was removed for improved access to the oil separator and/or the flametrap. If this wasn't replaced properly (or the clips weren't tightened) this will also give similar symptoms.

A quick localised squirt of WD40 with the engine running will also help you track down where the leaks are, the engine note will change when you squirt round the leak area.

Also check the throttle position switch is operating when the throttle is released.

All of the above should keep you busy for an hour or two today while you escape from the xmas preparations!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Dec 24th, 2017 at 06:30. Reason: Typong errors.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 16:51   #5
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
A "Annual Service" including what exactly?

It sounds like a fuel side issue - the usual culprits include the throttle body requiring cleaning, vacuum leaks at the various signal level and intake hoses, and leaks at the injector seals.

Does it run ok under load ie when you are driving normally, or accelerating?
Basic service, oil, filter, plugs. It runs fine under normal driving.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 16:52   #6
Delta66

I am on to tank two of a switch to premium unleaded and will have a look at the other suggestions. Thanks.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 22:21   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Just an idea - check all the plug leads are secure on the plugs. If one is loose then at idle it may cause a misfire but be perfectly fine at higher engine speed.

Also next time the fuel gets low (nearly running out) add a couple of litres of meths to the fuel tank before adding a maximum of 2 galls (9L) of petrol. It's possible you have condensation in the tank and this is causing poor running at idle, the meths forms an emulsion with the water and allows it to be burned off instead of sitting at the bottom of the tank.
At higher revs you're usually moving so the water sloshes about and you get a more pure amount of petrol going through.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 10:00   #8
Delta66

I added Wynns Dry Fuel and since then, there have various times when the car loses power. If I am idling the car cuts out. If I am on the move the revs die away and then after a few seconds come back. Is that the point where the water mix is being burnt off?

The plug leads were all fine.

The drop in idle speed to 500 rpm has stopped.

The lumpy idle is still there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 11:15   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Meths is probably a lot cheaper than the Wynns stuff and does the same job. Ideally with meths you need a 10% concentration so 2L for 4 gallons (18L) of fuel for it to work.

The symptoms you describe suggest water in the fuel so the meths is worth a try.

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 11:40   #10
Delta66

I decided to use Wynns as I work opposite a Euro Carparts and that is what they had in stock. Plus 2l of meths from the local Toolstation is nearly £7, the Wynns was £10, so not much of a saving.

It is clearly doing its job as I put it into a full tank, I have done about 70 odd miles and there has been three power losses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post: