Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC60 Sensus navigation

Views : 3099

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 16:49   #21
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Talking Donkey View Post
May I suggest google maps, it's free and by far the best IMO. I have the select Navigation and it's very poor compared to Google maps.
But it needs an internet connection, which uses data - quite a lot at times. It also has the worst POIs including the home addresses of directors as their company address!

I use OSMAnd on my Android which is based on downloaded OpenStreetMaps. I have also used Sygic (available on iOS and Android) which uses downloaded maps licensed from TomTom, and also has traffic and speed camera updates at a price. So far as I can tell, TomTom uses Google POIs.

I am a map nerd, as I also have Ordnance Survey maps downloaded into Anquet Open Map Navigator at 1:50,000 and a subscription to OSMaps which allows me to use 1:25000 when connected or if I download sections first.

POIs are the bane of travelling, due to the bulk uploading of data from poor sources at some point in the past. ALWAYS check POI locations before travelling.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 19:23   #22
The Talking Donkey

You can download the maps if you have a limited data plan, though I think my giffgaff card only has 2gb....I've never run out. I find the "OK Google" system faultless. Traffic is bang up to date. I never use POI.
The Talking Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 20:27   #23
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Talking Donkey View Post
You can download the maps if you have a limited data plan, though I think my giffgaff card only has 2gb....I've never run out. I find the "OK Google" system faultless. Traffic is bang up to date. I never use POI.
Are you using this on the sensus screen? Or just on your phone?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 21:33   #24
The Talking Donkey

Phone, I just use the Bluetooth audio over the speaker system
The Talking Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 09:42   #25
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
I guess it had the necessary hardware already because it had Internet Map.

The previous owner was Volvo Ireland :-)

Colin
According to this it is an option and "Cars of Model Year 2015 are equipped with a NAV button for the option to be upgraded to the Sensus Navigation system."

https://support.volvocars.com/uk/Pag...a801510a51dd49
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 17:06   #26
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Good luck

If you can get the car to connect to the internet. I have utterly failed at getting mine to connect via my phone, and there is just one spot on my drive where I can get a strong enough wifi signal from the house to load the locations sent from car. It isn't the quickest internet in the car either.

Be careful as I have found that the POIs in Here maps are (edit: removed) "poorly located". I strongly suggest you check on satellite or even google street view before relying on them. I'm sick of reporting errors.

Also, you can only do send to car from the desktop version of here maps (wego.here.com) and not from the app.

I'm afraid I have been put off paying extra for satnav in any future car.
I have pretty good 4G coverage where I live so I'm not having the problems you seem to have. Agreed, the speed of the apps is pretty slow but they're handy to have as a last resort.

Yes, I always do a visual check of any POI before using it for navigation, and this is much easier to do on the desktop website than trying to figure it out from the car's or phone's small screens.

As I said before, I'd rather use the integrated screen than have suction cups and wires cluttering the place up but I guess that's a personal preference. Apple Car Play or Android Auto give the best of both worlds, but I'd need to have bought a 2018 model for that

Colin
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 17:25   #27
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Apple Car Play or Android Auto give the best of both worlds, but I'd need to have bought a 2018 model for that
MY19 sees TomTom arrive for Volvo.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 19:35   #28
Fellwalker

Well, I have just spent 3 hours correcting the crap on the maps near me. I used the satnav yesterday and was amazed to find the map showed car parks ON THE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY along the route. SO I fixed them, and one thing led to another. Wherever I scrolled the map, there was something wrong, from businesses that were in three places, places that had up to 5 duplicates - some in different languages but often just different categories and a very slightly different spelling, roads that did not meet, missing roads, wrong speed limits, footpaths designated as roads...
I'd be rich if I got a job at here fixing the garbage.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 21:09   #29
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Well, I have just spent 3 hours correcting the crap on the maps near me.
When you say 'correcting the crap' do you mean reporting this to Volvo ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 21:30   #30
Fellwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
When you say 'correcting the crap' do you mean reporting this to Volvo ?
No.
I am registered as an editor for here maps. I edit the map directly. That's where volvo get the maps.