Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Debadging - aftercare

Views : 3196

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 21:00   #1
Amazed

Default Debadging - aftercare

Hi.

A quick enquiry for all those who have debadged their V40s...

Like the smooth uncluttered look, so the garage that I'm buying the vehicle from will debadge it for me when I collect it,but they have said that sometimes you can still tell that the badge has been there.

I know this can be rectified with a little clean up afterwards and some aftercare,but I'm just wondering what in particular people have used to get rid of the telltale marks. Does the black window surround require any special treatment?

Thanks

Adam.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 14:18   #2
zapcity1

Hi Adam,

Looks like nobody has debadged their V40 then!

Your garage could well be right.

Unfortunately, debadging is not always 100% successful. My old A3 suffered from the base coat being affected and no amount of polishing the lacquer could correct this. You could always see where the badges had been.

Hopefully, you can just degrease the area (Autosmart tardis, Autoglym Tar remover etc.), and then polish to remove any ghosting of the removed badges. Use something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish if doing by hand (but ideally with a dual action or rotary machine for better results if you know someone who can help).
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 21:05   #3
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Hi.

A quick enquiry for all those who have debadged their V40s...

Like the smooth uncluttered look, so the garage that I'm buying the vehicle from will debadge it for me when I collect it,but they have said that sometimes you can still tell that the badge has been there.

I know this can be rectified with a little clean up afterwards and some aftercare,but I'm just wondering what in particular people have used to get rid of the telltale marks. Does the black window surround require any special treatment?

Thanks

Adam.
So it is not because you are buying a D2 or T2? That seems to be the main reason people debadge their cars - to hide the fact they are not powerful models. I think cars look odd without badges at the back, as if it has been repaired and not finished properly. To each his own though.
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white

Last edited by Acer; Feb 7th, 2018 at 21:09.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:48   #4
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
So it is not because you are buying a D2 or T2? That seems to be the main reason people debadge their cars - to hide the fact they are not powerful models. I think cars look odd without badges at the back, as if it has been repaired and not finished properly. To each his own though.
Can't agree. Most people debadge as they like the look without badges.

Yes, some people might have debadged their BMW 316i and hoped others thought it was an M3, but you can't hide a single pea shooter exhaust! Some of the most powerful cars on the road are debadged.

My C70 just has the Volvo name on the bootlid remaining. The C70 and D5 badges have been removed. Personally I prefer it, but as you say, each his own.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 22:00   #5
Amazed

Nice to see that there are stuffy members even on here. Got fed up with years of the MX5OC looking down on you because you drove an "import", despite (or probably because of) the fact that it had a better spec than UK models....
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 14:58   #6
H20 VOLVO

I can help.

Firstly though, most people who de-badge in the UK (but not all) de-badge because they drive a smaller engine - on the V40 you can't tell the difference between T2 and T5 externally. However, some do debadge as they like the cleaner look and/or actually do drive a T5 etc but don't want to shout about it and get it nicked. It doesn't matter - each to their own.

On the continent, it's pretty much the opposite way round - in Germany, most de-badged motors are high-end models such as 535 or E350. They like the sleeper look.

Anyway, going onto badges on the V40. I think the Volvo badge is best left on, but the V40 and engine number looks ok when removed.

If heated up slightly with a hairdryer, they come off quickly and easily, and then use some WD40 to remove glue residue. The only problem you can have, is where the sun has affected the area, so sometimes you can still see the outline of the badge where paintwork has faded. A polish can get rid of this, but not always. It would depend how old the car was - the older the harder it is to get rid of it.

If you want to do it, just do it and polish up if required. If it leaves an outline, then you can always re-badge though. The actual Volvo lettering is on the black part, so proabably won't be an issue.

Easy job to do yourself or let the garage do it.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 19:19   #7
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

All I would say is I would never buy a car that has been de badged. All it says to me is its probably had a hard life been flogged to death to make it go like an m3 or t5 etc.. Most cars you see de badged often have a boy racer fool at the wheel. (Im not calling anyone here a fool just making a general comment from my personal motoring observations) As said each to there own.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 14:03   #8
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
All I would say is I would never buy a car that has been de badged. All it says to me is its probably had a hard life been flogged to death to make it go like an m3 or t5 etc.. Most cars you see de badged often have a boy racer fool at the wheel. (Im not calling anyone here a fool just making a general comment from my personal motoring observations) As said each to there own.
Even if was debadged from factory (model deletion)? I kind of know what you are saying, but it's still a sweeping statement.....

For example, would it put you off a 8 month old S60 D3 SE with 3k miles and one owner? Specced out in basic trim and clearly looked after with full tread on front tyres still?
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 18:36   #9
T5Sweep
Master Member

No one I've ever met in the car circle has removed the badges in the hope to fool someone into thinking it's a higher spec motor, it's always been to leave a less cluttered look at the back.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 21:29   #10
prc68

Here in Portugal we normally have 2 cases:
One as already mentioned, having the less powerful engines, the other is having the less powerful engines and adding the GTi, M or AMG badge...
The second being the more worrying of the 2 IMHO

Personally, I like the sleeper look, but have yet to remove the S60 & D5 badges.

Take care,
Paulo

Looking to upgrade the suspension
prc68 is offline   Reply With Quote