Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Bonnet Open Message and Alarm Woes

Views : 2060

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:08   #1
S60RDesign

Default S60 Bonnet Open Message and Alarm Woes

Morning all.

A couple of times in the last few nights the alarm has gone off in the early hours of the morning. It's woken up the neighbours as well so I don't think I'm very popular at the minute...

I think it's related to the bonnet catch as there's been an intermittent warning saying the bonnet is open but it isn't. Looking on the forum it seems to be a common fault.

As others have done I've sprayed the mechanism with WD40 but it hasn't solved it. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this specific to the S60/V60?

I'm keen to avoid a trip to a dealer as this car has cost me nearly £1000 in the last few weeks...
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 15:19   #2
Scootersp

I had this message when I first got my used XC60.

Brake cleaner/degreasers and a 'tooth brush' type mechanics brush to clean all the crud off and then white lithium grease.

With the bonnet up get a screw driver to mimic the boot loop moving the catch, you can get the catch moving (so you can spray the cleaner into all the nooks and crannies/moving parts) without it latching and causing you to have to unlatch in the car over and over, or alternatively if you have a helpful assistant they can sit in the car and unlatch it for you.

Keep doing that both sides and the degreaser until the catches are latching and releasing really smoothly, it should be noticeably easier than when you started, then apply the white grease to help keep it that way.

This was nearly two years ago on mine and no issues since (I have freed and regreased since as they seem prone to stiffening up)
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 15:38   #3
Scootersp

Also with the helpful assistant in the car, perhaps before you start cleaning, with the bonnet open/up close the latches so the car thinks the bonnet is shut and then (does the ignition have to be on?) see if you can manually move the latch (back it off a smidge) so that the assistant sees the light, then you can see what movement/lack of movement is causing it?

Never done this but it's seems a worthwhile thing to try...well in my head anyway!
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 17:43   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

Let us know how you get on, I've got the dreaded "bonnet open" message at the minute, but it seems to be permanently on rather than intermittent, and as such (touch wood) doesn't seem to be setting the alarm off. It occurred to me that perhaps it only sends a signal to the alarm when the "bonnet open" is first triggered. (touch wood again).
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 19:07   #5
Fat Magpie

I did the WD40 trick, it does not disappear immediately but it took 2-3 days. Spray a lot in and open and close the bonnet a few times ...repeat until the can is empty.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 19:39   #6
Rex65

WD40 isn't a lubricant so it's just a waste.
Use a proper lubricant and you won't need a full can and the lubrication properties will last much longer too.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:28   #7
krzemien

Get the latch / lock replaced. Experienced it myself, very intermittently either - so decided to sort it out correctly @ VOLVO. I think it was £200-300 then unfortunately...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...00#post1925100
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 14:46   #8
S60RDesign

Many thanks for all your advice...the problem has stopped for now without doing anything else so maybe the WD40 has sunk in...
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 16:52   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Ditto, I applied WD40 to no effect, then a week or two later, the warning disappeared.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 22:40   #10
kprida

I had the same issue. I unplugged the electrical connector for the bonnet catch and put a bit of wire in to make the connection (effectively doing the same as the switch/bonnet being closed). I then put a bit of electrical tape round it and job done (if you're not fussed about getting it fixed properly).

I'd tell you where the connector is (if you don't know where it is) but unfortunately my car is at the dealers following aux belt tensioner failure.
kprida is offline   Reply With Quote