Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800ES Chassis No

Views : 693

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:26   #1
BobClark

Default 1800ES Chassis No

Good Afternoon,
Have just discovered the chassis number for my car is 6485 yet the log book shows 6465. The car has never had a new chassis. Does anybody know if there is another chassis plate other than the one in the engine bay close to the scuttle. I wonder if there was an error when new as the 8 and 6 look similar????
Regards
BobClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 14:19   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi Bob,

This is a common error by the old DVLA when producing V5 documents for 1800ES cars back in the 1970's, I had exactly the same issue and did some investigating years ago, they seemed to get model numbers, body numbers and chassis numbers mixed up although the problem was probably originated by the dealer when completing the V55 first registration document incorrectly!

On the pedal housing box under the bonnet are two plates, the black and silver one is a model plate and has no bearing on the car's chassis number. It contains model number something like 1834362 from memory, paint code, trim code and any 'special' order digits.

The second embossed metal plate in body colour is actually the body number, again nothing to do with the chassis number, yours presumably shows 6485?

Open your driver's door wide, clean off the area between the top and bottom hinges on the A pillar, you may need to do this with abrasive paper if your car has ever been repainted in that area. You will find your full chassis number stamped into the steel there, made up of something like 1834362**6465 (mine is 1834362**4366 which is an auto, manual cars have one digit different)

Volvo originally fitted a full embossed aluminium chassis number plate riveted to the passenger side inside windscreen pillar but many were removed as they looked a bit unsightly!

Hope this helps?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:28   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

This will also help you:

http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.h...Production.htm

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 09:30   #4
BobClark

Thank You Paul, Will have a look this morning. Bob.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobClark For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 14:08   #5
BobClark

Hi again Paul,
You were correct in location Thanks. It matches the logbook as the number close to yours is 1834362Y006465. This car is also an auto.
Not sure if you seen my previous post about this car?
Trying to sell or at least get a value. The car a one owner with original blue logbook. Found in a garage and moved 100 miles since 1996. Registered April 1973 in blue or ocean green? with brown leather.
Any info on values appreciated. Seem to be rare on the ground.
Thanks again for putting my mind at rest
Regards Bob.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:48   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi Bob,

I'm pleased that I was able to assist with your chassis number identification. No, I don't recall seeing your previous post about this car but it does sound interesting!

Values for ES models are very strong at the moment, even complete basket cases seem to command decent prices despite them being very expensive to restore properly. Solid, unrestored cars are regularly advertised for silly money, whether they ever sell though is another matter.

Unless your car was kept in ideal storage conditions for all of those years it will have suffered some decay and things like brakes and fuel injection components don't take kindly to being left idle. Have a look on Car and Classic website: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/102/p1800+es/which will give you some idea of what sellers are asking. It would be good if you could post a few pictures of your car on here.

Hope this helps?

Paul
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 16:09   #7
BobClark

Thanks again Paul, that website is very interesting.
Sadly at the moment I only have pics on my partners phone and do not have the knowledge to download anywhere. Will ask a friend to post some.
Regards Bob.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 07:07   #8
karlmalberg

This is very interesting for me as I am running the global 1800 chassis register. Now I know that both ES #6465 and ES #6485 are in the UK. Here is a link to the chassis register

https://volvo1800pictures.com/PHPMaker/1800/index.php
karlmalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:38   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Karl, I think this refers to only one car, #6465. There could have been a typo originally or the body plate may say #6485. That is close enough to be due to Volvo shuffling the body around the yard before it got added to the line. Body number and chassis number being the same is uncommon.

I hope you are well and good to see that you are still keeping the facts on the website up to date. Dark green 1800's get pretty hot this weather so I hope you are surviving.

Last edited by Derek UK; Aug 4th, 2018 at 12:41.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 13:41   #10
karlmalberg

Thank you Derek you are probably right. Yes I had a dark green -69 when I lived in UK but when I moved back to Sweden I sold it and bought a Light green (91) -66. I had been looking for that combination of year and colour for many years and finally found it.
karlmalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlmalberg For This Useful Post: