Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECM6805 Cured?

Views : 20110

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 14:07   #1
GSMGuy
Master Member

Default ECM6805 Cured?

Ok, further on from the rough running, which is now fine - See other thread..

Today I set about finding out why I appear to have no low down boost, and am getting "Engine Service Required" EVERY time I go over 2500rpm, stored code being the good old ECM6805...

So, armed with my shiny new Mityvac kit - I set about doing some testing....

First, I pulled off the vacuum takeoff from the vac pump, and popped on the mity... Vacuum is being produced, but tbh - not much, and it's not steady, although this may just "build up" in use...

Next, I connected the mity to the hose taken from the pump, and proceeded to apply a vacuum... Or at leat I tried, engine off or running, no vacuum could be produced,,,

Next, I checked that the front engine mount held a vacuum on it's own, which it did - Now the rear one is a pig to get to, so whilst studying the pipework, it appears that the vac from the pump tees off just below the EGR are, one feed going to the solenoid on the front of the airbox, the other to the turbocharger control solenoid located on the block, just below the common rail - So, the valve on the airbox ONLY controls the engine mounts.... Hmm...

Pulled up this valve, and detached both the vacuum in, and the mounts out pipes.. Tried a vacuum on both, the engine mounts both held, and could be heard to audibly "click" when vacuum was applied/released - more noticeable with the engine running... On the other pipe, no vacuum could be held...

Now I have said all along that I think it's a vacuum issue, so next I disconnected the output pipe (goes to the vane actuator on the turbo) from the turbo control solenoid, and applied gradual vacuum - I could actually heatr the actuator moving on the turbo - Time for some inprovisation - Applied 15" vacuum to this, and secured the mity under the bonnet, plugged the other pipe and went for a spin - BINGO takeoff was immediate and boost was plentiful.... So now, I just have to find the leak...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 14:42   #2
GSMGuy
Master Member

BYW - There is a Volvo procedure for a quick check that the VNT vanes are working correctly...

Checking the variable nozzle turbo control

Preparation
Raise the car.
Remove:
-the splash guard under the engine
-the hose for the variable nozzle turbo regulator.
Connect vacuum pump 999 5843 to the regulator.
Create a negative pressure of 48 +/- 2 cm/Hg using the vacuum pump. The control arm on the variable nozzle turbo should reach its limit position at this pressure.
If not, the turbocharger (TC) must be replaced.

Mike
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 16:19   #3
GSMGuy
Master Member

Right, no time to talk now, gotta go get the kids - BUT I HAVE CURED IT! Just been for a 10 mile THRASH and not one single hiccup or error, the car is TRANSFORMED! It has NEVER run this well in the 100,000 miles I have done since owning it for the last 3 1/2 years!

ALL of the hesitation from idle has gone, stepping on the throttle is like lighting the blue touchpaper - God only knows how well it would go if I had kept my tuninng box - IT NEVER went this well whils that was fitted - EVER

I reallly cannot believe the transformation!

Mike
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:02   #4
GSMGuy
Master Member

Just gotten in from a 390 mile round trip - Car behaved PERFECTLY, not one eror, not one lumpy cycle - cannot believe I have finnaly cured the prob - Drove it HARD for a lot of the time and still averaged 29.1 mpg too...

Going to bed now, been awake since 0645 on Mon morning without a wink of sleep - YAWN!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 17:49   #5
NCS XC90

Mike,
I love reading your posts. You really have that attitude of working through a problem in logical steps. Even better you are willing to share them with us so we can all learn/ use them when needed. Very interested to find out what you have done / found.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 23:39   #6
R-P
Master Member

Someone with as many problems if not more than I have.

But you actually solve yours!!!!!

Excellent work, as always.

Quote:
ALL of the hesitation from idle has gone
Wow, is that actually possible? I kind of rested in the fact it was and would always be a hazard to drive due to this unbelievable hesitation.

And I know it's a lot to ask, but if you happen to have them, a few pictures would be greatly appreciated. I haven't got Vadis up and running and visualising your progress without the drawings is hard.

Last edited by R-P; Jan 20th, 2010 at 23:57.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:54   #7
GSMGuy
Master Member

Yes, ALL of the hesitaion has gone - timed the car using a professional GPS timing kit tonight - 0-62 in 11.1 seconds.... Not bad for 2.25 tonnes with "only" 163 bhp...

I am not going to reveal all just yet, as just looking to solve one TINY niggle... But can confirm, that after another 350 miles today, a LOT of which was deliberately foot to the floor - Ave MPG is 26.7 (town use all day today) And the car (for the first time in my memory) is setting off the DTSC warning light on DRY roads as I hoof it away from the lights!!!! And I am actually getting "Chirping" from my lovely new front Yokohamas!

More snow please Vicar!!!

Mike
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:46   #8
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Yes, ALL of the hesitaion has gone - timed the car using a professional GPS timing kit tonight - 0-62 in 11.1 seconds.... Not bad for 2.25 tonnes with "only" 163 bhp...
I'm feeling the anticipation of a kid on Christmas eve

(A Geartronic AWD V70 D5 0-60-in-twenty-seconds currently-30mpg fellow Volvo owner )

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 13:13   #9
RobI

Bump.

Just out of interest, any news on what the problem and cure was?

thanks in adance
RobI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 15:29   #10
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobI View Post
Bump.

Just out of interest, any news on what the problem and cure was?

thanks in adance
I was going to threaten him with a visit where I would swap his turbo, vacuumlines/pump and other bits for mine if he still hadn't answered (been on holiday for a week).

But someone else already helped remind him.

@ Mike: we need information. So if you can spare the time, you would make (many) people happy with your solution. And if you want to build a business out of setting right what Volvo can't/won't solve, then I very much want to be your first customer

(If time does not permit you explaining/taking pics for a while, just drop a line that you haven't forgotten this thread )