Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 819160

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:33   #601
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I'd like to know where in Nottinghamshire fits tyres for £8 each?
Could be real, some of the small indi's in and around Glasgow and the suburbs do tyre swaps for the cost of a puncture repair .... cost inc Balance is £7.50

TBH, wouldnt read too much into this ....
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:42   #602
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
I didn't realise they were made in Russia (thought they were Swedish for some reason!)but I guess they must know a thing or two about making tyres for cold weather conditions.

Nokian (used to be part of Nokia IT/telecoms/networking company) are actually Finnish, and have been making tyres in Finland, Russia,(company owned) Slovakia, Indonesia, Spain and the USA (subcontract/licence,) they also used to make Bridgestone tyres for Europe ... still do I think.

Much bigger than a lot of people realise.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 15:37   #603
WarHammer

Gee,

Such an untrusting and sceptical lot...hopefully your not totally representitive of all XC90 owners...otherwise I may just have to consider a move to teh darkside and trade mine in for an X5 so I don't get tarred with the same brush.

All 8 Nokian tyres were fitted by a small independant tyre Company in Sutton-In-Ashfield..Notts...actual cost was £70 all in...which ok is £8.75 per tyre...perhaps they could get something back from the part worn old tyres from the wife's car and my XC90 conti's??? who knows??...least I know what I paid to have them fitted as a paid cash and watched them fit all 8...yes it hurt having to peel out the notes from my wallet - but worth it as they did a fine job....infact they also offered to swap wheels back to front in 10k miles (or when I want them doing) on both cars foc....that's good service for you!

Oh and btw...my experience of ordering from Tyreleader as I've said was fine...no different than when I once used MyTyres....simply placed my order...was provided the DPD tracking numbers tracked them through to the local delivery depot and had them delivered to work as they couldn't give me the 1hr delivery window service option to have them delivered to home.

I really have no reason to tell any porkies...only trying to give this forum an unbiased users experieince on my tyre purchase...you can take it however you want, but I know what I'll be doing next time I need to buy more tyres - unless something better exists when that's needed.

Oh and also to let you know, when I came across the Tyreleader site...I was quite sceptical around their credentials...lack of information and users reviews...made me nervous...but the pricing made me take a gamble and I stuck the lot on my credit card just in case (and to spread the circa £800+ overall additional cost at this time of year)...I would also recommend buying via cc if in doubt!

thx

Last edited by WarHammer; Dec 22nd, 2013 at 15:59. Reason: added more information to post
WarHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarHammer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 20:50   #604
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Small world! Worked and lived at KMH for awhile. Was that a place off the lammas by Bargain booze by any chance or the one at the bottom of station rd after the crossing on the left? Lots of cheap garages around there but £8.75 was a steal. Cheapest I could find was £9.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 21:37   #605
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHammer View Post
Gee,

Such an untrusting and sceptical lot...hopefully your not totally representitive of all XC90 owners...otherwise I may just have to consider a move to teh darkside and trade mine in for an X5 so I don't get tarred with the same brush.

All 8 Nokian tyres were fitted by a small independant tyre Company in Sutton-In-Ashfield..Notts...actual cost was £70 all in...which ok is £8.75 per tyre...perhaps they could get something back from the part worn old tyres from the wife's car and my XC90 conti's??? who knows??...least I know what I paid to have them fitted as a paid cash and watched them fit all 8...yes it hurt having to peel out the notes from my wallet - but worth it as they did a fine job....infact they also offered to swap wheels back to front in 10k miles (or when I want them doing) on both cars foc....that's good service for you!

Oh and btw...my experience of ordering from Tyreleader as I've said was fine...no different than when I once used MyTyres....simply placed my order...was provided the DPD tracking numbers tracked them through to the local delivery depot and had them delivered to work as they couldn't give me the 1hr delivery window service option to have them delivered to home.

I really have no reason to tell any porkies...only trying to give this forum an unbiased users experieince on my tyre purchase...you can take it however you want, but I know what I'll be doing next time I need to buy more tyres - unless something better exists when that's needed.

Oh and also to let you know, when I came across the Tyreleader site...I was quite sceptical around their credentials...lack of information and users reviews...made me nervous...but the pricing made me take a gamble and I stuck the lot on my credit card just in case (and to spread the circa £800+ overall additional cost at this time of year)...I would also recommend buying via cc if in doubt!

thx
Sorry, it was the lack of detail in the first post and the fact it was your first post that made me wary. Also £8 didn't seem believable. £8.75 is a great price though.

Just seen a few non genuine first posts on here over the years.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:12   #606
TheScrew1972

Just bit the bullet and placed an order with Tyreleader for 2 x General Grabber AT's @ £129.29 each delivered. (Paid on my credit card so have some protection should things go worng!) Will report back as things progress

Mike
TheScrew1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:06   #607
TheScrew1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScrew1972 View Post
Just bit the bullet and placed an order with Tyreleader for 2 x General Grabber AT's @ £129.29 each delivered. (Paid on my credit card so have some protection should things go worng!) Will report back as things progress

Mike
Quick update on my order. Received an email last night showing my tracking number, shows as my order being collected and in the 'hub' on 30 Dec 13, so all appears good so far

Mike
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 14:36   #608
TheScrew1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScrew1972 View Post
Quick update on my order. Received an email last night showing my tracking number, shows as my order being collected and in the 'hub' on 30 Dec 13, so all appears good so far

Mike
Ok, final update on my purchase from Tyreleader. Tyres delivered this afternoon. So in short:

Order placed Sat 28 December, Tracking number received Mon 30 December, Tyres received Friday 3 January. All in all 7 days from order (on a weekend) to delivery, including New Year bank holiday (or 5 days from dispatch to delivery) Not too bad IMO for a delivery from Germany.

Quick visual inspection of tyres all looks good. Will report back on tyres when fitted (having them fitted to the rear for now after rotating front to back to wear down old tyres)

The only complaint from the whole process is the communication from the company. The delivery when tracked appeared to be stalled in Netherlands, marked with a code meaning 'Not Conveyable'. Being a little concerned by this I opened a ticket through the tyreleader website, but never received a reply.

All ended ok though

Mike
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 16:55   #609
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

My experience was dreadful as you know but glad it worked out for you!
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 19:54   #610
thepower1801970
thepower

Default accelera tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
It seems that people get uneven wear on the Continentals, check on this forum, buy a new brand of tyre while getting the alignment and psi corrected and then don't suffer any problems.

I wonder if the Continentals would last longer with the alignment and psi adjusted??

Pelhamtemple, if you had no problem with the Continentals, why not have them again? They do a couple of different styles for an SUV, my step-dad runs them on his Mercedes ML and has never had a problem.

Nokian do a "summer" tyre that, if anything like their winter tyres, should be of good quality; alternatively there is the Bridgestone Dueler HP.

I must admit that my Accelera Iota tyres are performing surprisingly well. They seems to be quiet and stable with good traction in the dry or wet. Untested in snow/ice as yet. Bear in mind that I haven't driven any other XC90s with other brands of tyres on though.
how did you get on with your accelera tyres in the snow ? brought a xc90 in septemeber and it is fitted with iota tyres seem ok in dry and wet like you say ,but was wondering if i need to change them before the snow comes
thepower1801970 is offline   Reply With Quote