Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start/stop function

Views : 4608

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 19:26   #31
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Quite simply the charging system and batteries in the Volvo are not up to the job. If like me you do several short journeys the s/s system will stop working. In the Volvo handbook it recommends doing a 15 minute journey once a week.

I have found that is nowhere near enough. Having done 3 roundtrip journeys of 8 miles on consecutive days my s4s stopped working. A trip of over 50 miles the following day taking about an hour and a quarter still did not restore it. The batteries and charging circuits have been checked on numerous occasions by my dealer and there is no fault showing up.

Charging for 24 hours using a CTEK smart charger brings it back, well for a few days anyway.

Basically the system is not fit for purpose but Volvo will do nothing about it. It's the same on my MY17 XC90 and MY20 XC40.
Agree totally. S/S on my 2011 V70 was very erratic after about 3 years, My 2017 V90 began to show S/S problems after about 2 years and my present MY 2019 bought on the 1st March this year with 24, yes 24 miles on the clock (pre registered) The S/S only worked a couple of times in 3 weeks and 750 miles before lockdown struck. I've registered it as an issue but obviously can't do much at the moment. Interestingly over the last couple of weeks I've been playing around with the car and everything I've found suggests that it was built in the first couple of months of 2019 .. So it was over a year old when I bought it (a fact that the dealer kept VERY quiet.)
It was first registered on 31/1/20. One wonders how well the batteries were looked after in that year. Since lockdown it's been connected to a charger on long term float. The one time it's been used since 22/3 the S/S worked within a couple of hundred yards.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 20:25   #32
EssexExile
Master Member

I can't say I take any notice of it. It stop/starts or it doesn't, whatever.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 00:47   #33
Flyingowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
Good evening

So I have had the car , 2017 V90, for a few weeks now so still getting to grips with all the controls and settings.
I mainly use the car in eco mode and have the engine start/stop switched on but for the last few days when stopping in traffic the engine stays on. Looking on the dash the start/stop symbol in present but has a line through it. Is there a second secret control button/switch I am missing?

Cheers
Hi I had the exact same issue, as others as said it was indeed the battery going below a certain charge, Volvo had it back twice to recharge then after a week same issue no engine stop start/ they then replaced my battery with a new one and have had no issues for the last 10months if driving, recharging the old battery back up did not get rid of the fault .
Flyingowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 13:55   #34
gezp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingowl View Post
Hi I had the exact same issue, as others as said it was indeed the battery going below a certain charge, Volvo had it back twice to recharge then after a week same issue no engine stop start/ they then replaced my battery with a new one and have had no issues for the last 10months if driving, recharging the old battery back up did not get rid of the fault .
Stop/start stopped working on my 2017 XC60 just before lockdown. Battery was replaced last week by my dealer under warranty. Wonder if they had a bad batch of batteries.
Old May 25th, 2020, 10:23   #35
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

I will now probably upset a few.
To must be honest in that I find it is annoying and switch it off.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 21:23   #36
Pitvar

Do the newer models have S/S that kicks in at 3mph like older ones or does it work properly, like on a BMW, when it kicks in when you actually stop?
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 14:59   #37
EssexExile
Master Member

Mine comes in before you stop, not that it's happened at all lately.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:49   #38
gezp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
Do the newer models have S/S that kicks in at 3mph like older ones or does it work properly, like on a BMW, when it kicks in when you actually stop?
Depends whether you have comfort or eco mode selected on my 2017 XC60. In comfort it shuts down after coming to a stand, in ECO just before.