Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SC901 Yatour MP3 player install guide.

Views : 17720

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 17:25   #1
krussel
Premier Member

Default SC901 Yatour MP3 player install guide.

This guide is for an install to a SC901 head unit fitted into a Mk1 C70 . This should be the same for other models.
Its prob a good idea to disconnect the positive battery lead but make sure you have the radio code.

This is the basic model Yatour YT-M06 without the Bluetooth module. It retails for just over £50 delivered. The Bluetooth model is around £20 more.

On the box you get basic instructions diagrams. There is only one yellow wire to connect to the cars + wiring.

The unit is very compact, about the size of a packet of cigarettes

On the front you have a USB and a SD slot. There is also a 3.5mm jack for connecting a mp3 player to play through the Yatour.

The instructions say there is supposed to be an led on the rear panel but its not there. The micro USB port is for an optional Bluetooth adapter.

You get the Yatour connection lead and a small 3.5mm male jack to jack plug.

This is the Din socket which your going to plug into the multi changer socket on the SC901 head unit. The yellow lead is the power lead.

First job is to remove the 6 Torx screws which hold the glove box. Carefully pull the box out. The light stays in the dash.

The next part is the mentally hardest bit to do as you have to drill a fair hole into the glove box. I used a cutter attachment on a drill.

It has to be largish to allow the Din plug through. You can now screw the glove box back into the car.

Thread the lead through to the radio aperture allowing plenty of slack to attach the Yatour.

Push in and then fully pull out the 2 handles on the sides of the SC901. Take care not to place too much strain on the connection wires. If you have the radio code you can remove them to make things easier.

Next find the yellow and purple wire (SC901) this has to be a positive live wire. You can use a scotch lock type connector but I found that my wiring had already been altered by a fitter installing the parking sensors so I had to solder mine.

Next plug the din socket into the multi-changer socket in the back of the head unit. It goes in very firm with a reassuring click.

I mounted my Yatour using 3m Velcro type stick on tabs.

Remember if your going to use a USB stick to allow enough clearance for the glove box lid closing.

Load up your USB or SD card and create 6 files labelled CD01-CD06. These will be your virtual cd’s. Load your MP3 tracks into the files. I am not sure on how many the 901 will support but I think its 100 tracks per file, may be 200 ?

That’s it. You plug in the USB or card and select CD6 on the 901. The first time I did this the 901 did not recognise the player so I had to remove the connection plug on the rear of the Yatour and plug it back in. It worked fine after that. It takes the Yatour around 5-6 seconds to access the files.

You simply use the 1-6 preset buttons to select the 6 files and the next button to skip tracks like you would with a normal cd.

I ve found the sound to be as good as a CD.

If you get stuck without a radio code like me then follow this thread to FRF Motors who supplied me with a code in under 10 mins completely for free. Amazing service !

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73410

Hope this helps.

Kruss
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to krussel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 18:14   #2
warninglight
VOC Member

Brilliant writeup, thanks for that!

Do you know does the optional bluetooth allow handsfree phone use?

I have an SC-901 but it's on the shelf as I listen to music off USB and need a handsfree kit in the car, so using a Sony head unit with the amp. Do love the feel of the 901 though.

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 18:29   #3
C70 98

Excellent write up, thank you. Once you are playing, say CD1 on the Yatour and skip several tracks, does it have problems finding the tracks or is that the 5 second wait? Can it do gapless, as in live albums and concept albums?
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 19:01   #4
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks for the detailed write up, certainly sounds like a good mod.

I'm going to throw in another question if that's ok? Do you know how it works with the aux input? Is there an option somewhere to select aux input instead of the sd card/usb stick? Or does that become disc 1 and track 1 if no sd card/usb stick is plugged in?
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 19:33   #5
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warninglight View Post
Brilliant writeup, thanks for that!

Do you know does the optional bluetooth allow handsfree phone use?

I have an SC-901 but it's on the shelf as I listen to music off USB and need a handsfree kit in the car, so using a Sony head unit with the amp. Do love the feel of the 901 though.
I am not 100% sure but I think that's the idea. If you do a search you will see the mk2 version with the Bluetooth supplied.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 19:35   #6
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C70 98 View Post
Excellent write up, thank you. Once you are playing, say CD1 on the Yatour and skip several tracks, does it have problems finding the tracks or is that the 5 second wait? Can it do gapless, as in live albums and concept albums?

No once you switch to CD6 on the 901 (that's the 6 sec wait while the Yatour boots up) track and disc selection is instant as soon as you press the button.
The Following User Says Thank You to krussel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 19:37   #7
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS100 View Post
Thanks for the detailed write up, certainly sounds like a good mod.

I'm going to throw in another question if that's ok? Do you know how it works with the aux input? Is there an option somewhere to select aux input instead of the sd card/usb stick? Or does that become disc 1 and track 1 if no sd card/usb stick is plugged in?
The instructions say that you need the USB the SD card removed for the 3.5mm jack to work. I think it just plays through and you cannot change tracks etc on the 901.

However if you used the mp3 player simply as an external drive with files CD01-06 loaded I suppose it would work the same as a SD card ?
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 21:28   #8
MikeS100
Premier Member

Sounds good. I would find the aux in useful, I used it a lot on my old car. Something to add to my want list
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 19:40   #9
britten_mark

Hi, great info. Can this be used on the more common SC805 (it also has a changer button doesn't it?)
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 20:30   #10
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britten_mark View Post
Hi, great info. Can this be used on the more common SC805 (it also has a changer button doesn't it?)
Hello,
I'd say yes, as the back of the unit (SC 805) also has the all important CD changer input and this is what Yatour, Grom et al 'hijack' to enable these said units to work.
Always worth checking with a seller beforehand but as I believe, it's a yes from me.
Cheers

Last edited by OvlovS70; Sep 7th, 2013 at 20:47.
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post: