Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s40 2008 low beam bulb failure help please

Views : 5605

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2016, 18:17   #11
krispyKreme

i followed instructions on page 192 of owners manual and getting the headlight out was pretty simple

i had a Lucas h7 12v55wfitted on the right only other info on bulb is 37R E8 3D6 dont know what that bit means, anyway ill likely go for osram nightbreakers £26.49 for 2 on eurocarparts ..ill check ebay for those too first ! i darn not go for those really cheap £1.30ish ones i bet they fail every few months and the osram nightbreakers say they are bright.

i filmed with camcorder getting the bulb out and how to put headlight back in ill upload that video to https://www.youtube.com/c/awesomefullhdvideos/videos it should be online in about an hour from now

ill make 2nd video showing me fitting the new bulbs in couple of days once i have them ( ill wear rubber gloves) its almost imposible not to touch the bulb when removing it.

cheers
dave
krispyKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krispyKreme For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 08:23   #12
zapcity1

Default You pays your money...

My V50 blows dipped bulbs approx. 2-3 times/year each side as has done since I've had it (7 years), so buying Nightbreakers etc. becomes an expensive business! One even blew on the way to the MOT station this year!
I guess Volvo made them easy to change for a reason.

It doesn't seem to matter whether they are cheap or expensive bulbs, they pop on a regular basis.

I always have a stock of cheap Ebay £1 bulbs in the glovebox and at home so I'm never caught short. For £1 they are not too bad.

Can't say I noticed much of an improvement using quality bulbs but I'm sure they are better.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 17:13   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapcity1 View Post
My V50 blows dipped bulbs approx. 2-3 times/year each side as has done since I've had it (7 years), so buying Nightbreakers etc. becomes an expensive business! One even blew on the way to the MOT station this year!
I guess Volvo made them easy to change for a reason.

It doesn't seem to matter whether they are cheap or expensive bulbs, they pop on a regular basis.

I always have a stock of cheap Ebay £1 bulbs in the glovebox and at home so I'm never caught short. For £1 they are not too bad.

Can't say I noticed much of an improvement using quality bulbs but I'm sure they are better.
When I was using the super cheap "xenon effect bulbs" they did seem to blow after a month but since buying the Ultrabright xenon effect bulbs, which I found recommended after searching on the subject on these forums they've lasted for 4 months so far. Worth paying a wee bit extra for them at least.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 19:02   #14
krispyKreme

My video of my changed the bulb is now online https://www.youtube.com/user/AwesomeFullHDvideos/videos

rather fiddly to do while trying to film so ittl be a lot quicker to do if not filming !!

thanks to everyone that replied to help me out : )

Dave
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 19:35   #15
The Thong
VOC Member

I've just bought a pair from Volvo, night breakers are good but they're last 4 months at the most. I'll see how the Volvo supplied do, hopefully better

TT
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 20:43   #16
krispyKreme

volvo supplied are what make ? the lucas ones i just replaced lasted 8000 miles of driving, how many miles do u do every 4 months for them to keep failing ?

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I've just bought a pair from Volvo, night breakers are good but they're last 4 months at the most. I'll see how the Volvo supplied do, hopefully better

TT
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 20:45   #17
krispyKreme

osram night breakers are £26.50 at eurocarparts

£18 on ebay

£14.50 on amazon so i got them from their !! surprised eurocarparts so much more ..it pays to shop around
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 08:15   #18
zapcity1

Default Bulb Life

I do 10-12K/year and replace 3-4 times/year (almost regardless of brand).

A rough calculation using 4K miles at an average of 25mph is 160 hours bulb life. Don't now if this is normal life expectancy or not.

I've always assumed regular bulb replacement was the price paid for DRLs.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 08:55   #19
Trabant Dave

There's much to be gained from cleaning the 'projector lenses' as they get foggy; there's a thread on here somewhere about that; bear in mind that legally if you retro-fit HIDs that they are not entirely legal unless you have headlight washers and self-levelling.........

My H7 of choice WAS the Osram Nightbreaker, but they do seem to not be durable; I'm currently using Halfords All-Weather which are also quite yellow, a bit like French cars used to be fitted with - great in mist, fog, and rain.

I had a dipped beam go just prior to the MOT and didn't have time to order online; the Halford bulbs seem just as good as Nightbreakers at £20.00 a pair, not over-expensive.

Just need to see how long they last.......

Regards,

Dave
Trabant Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trabant Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 10:36   #20
zapcity1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabant Dave View Post
There's much to be gained from cleaning the 'projector lenses' as they get foggy; there's a thread on here somewhere about that; bear in mind that legally if you retro-fit HIDs that they are not entirely legal unless you have headlight washers and self-levelling.........

My H7 of choice WAS the Osram Nightbreaker, but they do seem to not be durable; I'm currently using Halfords All-Weather which are also quite yellow, a bit like French cars used to be fitted with - great in mist, fog, and rain.

I had a dipped beam go just prior to the MOT and didn't have time to order online; the Halford bulbs seem just as good as Nightbreakers at £20.00 a pair, not over-expensive.

Just need to see how long they last.......

Regards,

Dave
+1 on the cleaning. Well worth the effort.

Guide here thanks to T5R92011 :- http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239889

Tags
bulb, headlight, light, low beam, s40