Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member. First post washer issues

Views : 966

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2019, 18:03   #1
John70d

Default New member. First post washer issues

Hi.
First post and first time Volvo owner.
I have bought an 08 V50 (today).
Two issues so far. With a full washer bottle and the lights on I
Can't get the headlight washers to do anything.
Also the plastic T connector on the driver's side windscreen washer jet seems to have a piece at the bottom missing so all the water is going straight into the
Engine bay.
I'm not sure what size to replace it with 4,5 or 6mm?
Any help great fully received.
John70d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:25   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Dont remember 100% but I think that T connector is also one-way valve, if its the same as on my pre-FL (and mine just cracked) I would suggest getting it from Volvo. It wil prevent fluid from returning back to the bottle.

headlight washers - not sure if those work always or every X times and maybe only with car driving? someone else can confirm. Check if its possible to lift them manually, I *THINK* its the water pressure that lifts them up so those should move freely but again - its only my assumption, wait for confirmation.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:48   #3
PNM

There's a fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet just for the headlight washers. I would check that that hasn't blown or been removed.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 13:35   #4
Welton
Premier Member

Water pressure makes them rise from the bumper. Why bother with them though? I've never known them actually 'clean' the headlight on cars they just seem to make a mess of your bonnet.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 15:40   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Water pressure makes them rise from the bumper. Why bother with them though? I've never known them actually 'clean' the headlight on cars they just seem to make a mess of your bonnet.
Agreed with Welton those dont do much, unless you spray and then go with cloth to wipe headlamps down. I would be using them gladly if I had them just for that purpose, instead driving with glass spray in the boot
But unfortunately none of those contraptions will work as well as good ol' headlamp wipers.
I miss my old S40 in winter times, those were really useful...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s40_headlamp washers.jpg (183.7 KB, 112 views)
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 15:49   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John70d View Post
Hi.
First post and first time Volvo owner.
I have bought an 08 V50 (today).
Two issues so far. With a full washer bottle and the lights on I
Can't get the headlight washers to do anything.
Also the plastic T connector on the driver's side windscreen washer jet seems to have a piece at the bottom missing so all the water is going straight into the
Engine bay.
I'm not sure what size to replace it with 4,5 or 6mm?
Any help great fully received.
Headlight washers Only function when the headlights are in the ON possition, not the normal "on/drl" one,, (bloody stupid as the lenses are being heated by the bulbs All the time BUT the jets only function when the light switch is set to ON)

they do not fire Every press it is every 5 presses With the lights On that they work (so wash your Screen three times Before rolling into the mot test, Wait for the tester to tell you to do the screen, they Usually do it twice,, )
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 00:26   #7
RPB

The plastic T-piece under the bonnet broke on my v50 recently. Got a replacemnt from ebay and been fine since
Search for:Volvo C30 (08-13) S40, V50 (05-11) Windscreen Washer Valve (T Valve)
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:22   #8
John70d

Thank you for the advice. I got the non return T connector from Amazon and now working fine
I have found the under bonnet fuse for the headlamp washers has been removed.
I'm going to call the local dealer for a price of replacement but slightly concerned as to why it would be removed.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:41   #9
PNM

You can get a fuse for less than £1 from any car parts shop. That fact that it was missing all together probably points to a problem - when my washer seal went I pulled that fuse whilst waiting for a replacement to avoid it flooding the engine bay when I sprayed my windscreen.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 12:41   #10
PUFFDRAGON

Default Window washer

Hi
Having replaced T piece found still no joy ,after inspection found washer motor u/c no too bad job to replace ,1 take off driver side front wheel 2 remove
.splash guard all torex screws & 2 10 mm nuts all easy to see ,ease of from nuts position first by pulling off ,3 when splash guard is away you will see washer fluid container 2 screws hold that which are visible looking above top left hand side of inner arch it also has to be gently lifted off as it slips into slot on body ,washer motor cheap & easy to fit ,also give you chance to clean possibly bunged up filter too , just be gentle pulling of pipes & remember what goes on what ,

I also changed black rubber hose for clear type, easy to thread up ,just follow route of old before disconnecting ,i believe that hose Dia was 8 mm O/D X 5 or
6 mm I/D
PUFFDRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, jet, v50, washer, winds