Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pulsating tick-over

Views : 818

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 12:26   #1
malc-c
Master Member

Default Pulsating tick-over

Hi Guys,

My '99 2.5lt 10v V70 was last used Tuesday 28th January, and then it was a short move of the car of 50 yards or so to park the car after some road works had been completed. I went to use the car Yesterday (Friday 31st January) and I got one kick on starting and then the car failed to start. It would turn, and I could smell petrol but no ignition. I left the car for 20-30 minutes and tried again, and after a rough start (as if mis-fire on one cylinder) it cleared and licked over OK and revved to the red line no problem.

I went out and tried starting the car again this morning and its started OK, but it pulses on tickover - between 1700 - 1300 RPM. I can cold the car at 2000 RPM or above with no issue, take my foot off the pedal and the revs fall to 1300 and then pulse again. Turning off and re-starting it does exactly the same.

The care is still cold so I don't know if that's the issue, but it has never fast revved on a cold start in the 13 years I've owned the car. Anyone have any ideas (crank case position sensor ????)
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 12:41   #2
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

It could be something as simple as damp in the electrics. If I were you I'd give it a good run, get it up to working temperature, dry it out, and then see what you've got. Eliminate the simple things first.

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 12:54   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

From my personal experience my instinctive response is the much debated Lawn Mower Syndrome, which gets its name from cases where people have a car which runs fine on Friday coming home from work but won't fire up on Monday to go to work, when the situation is dissected it comes out that it was OK Friday, and oh I moved it out of the garage on Sunday to get to the lawn mower. Volvo 850 and V70 engines often don't like being started and stopped almost straight away there's a long debate on why but for the moment I'd suggest if it will start either let it run until the engine is thoroughly hot and/or take it for a long run, Let it go cold then see what it does, but if you start it make sure it gets up to temperature before you stop it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 13:11   #4
malc-c
Master Member

Well you guys know your stuff - I've just taken it for a short drive (2m) to get petrol. It was pulsing even whilst the engine was warming up... pulled in to the petrol station and the revs dropped to normal steady idle.

I guess it was just damp somewhere in some sensor given the rain we've had over the past few days, and the fact that its last run was so short. I'll let the car cool and re-start it again, and as suggested, let it warm up before turning it off.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 14:03   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
Well you guys know your stuff - I've just taken it for a short drive (2m) to get petrol. It was pulsing even whilst the engine was warming up... pulled in to the petrol station and the revs dropped to normal steady idle.

I guess it was just damp somewhere in some sensor given the rain we've had over the past few days, and the fact that its last run was so short. I'll let the car cool and re-start it again, and as suggested, let it warm up before turning it off.
Well its a long time since I've had a petrol car Malcolm, but when I look back at the times I did and had problems, nine times out of ten it was damp.

I do hope it was just that though, there's nothing more disconcerting than wondering if your cars going to start.. and keep running.

Let us know if it definitely was that, as all these little bits of information could well help someone else down the line..

Dave..

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 15:12   #6
malc-c
Master Member

I guess we'll never get to the bottom of it... Just went out and restarted the car and it's fine, ticking over nice and steady around the 900-1000 rpm mark.

Never had issues with damp before on this car - my old Viva was constantly smelling of DW40 because the HT leads were covered in it

I'll keep an eye on things, but I think its all good now - thanks for the suggestions though... I was thinking the worst yesterday !!
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 16:12   #7
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
I guess we'll never get to the bottom of it... Just went out and restarted the car and it's fine, ticking over nice and steady around the 900-1000 rpm mark.

Never had issues with damp before on this car - my old Viva was constantly smelling of DW40 because the HT leads were covered in it

I'll keep an eye on things, but I think its all good now - thanks for the suggestions though... I was thinking the worst yesterday !!
Chances are you won't get to the bottom of it, damp and electrics (if that's what it was) are strange bed fellows. I have a problem with my alarm system when its damp. Get a dry warm period and its as right as reign.

I'm glad the car is running well now though.

Dave..

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 18:16   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having scrapped an 850 with starting problems then had the V70 do the same (once) I thought a lot about the cause, the only change I've made to the car is to use a 0w40 oil rather than a 10w, on the basis it should flow a little better when cold. I still don't know if that's truly effective though, I quite often think I should try the car with a very short run (100yds) and see if it starts OK next day, but then I think I haven't got time for that hassle.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 18:22   #9
PNuT
MaDMaN

Etm..... If it has one?
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 00:52   #10
malc-c
Master Member

ETM ?????

The car is due to be serviced shortly (been sourcing parts including fuel filter as it's been a while since that was changed), so its not as if this happened after using different oil or plugs etc.

I'll keep an eye on things and see how things go... hopefully once the weather gets warmer there will be less chance of a re-occurrence