Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tech spec needed on a B20 gasket...

Views : 1619

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 15:58   #1
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default Tech spec needed on a B20 gasket...

Hi folks,

Can any kind soul out there help me?
I need to know the cc of a standard B20 E gasket in order to work out the CR of an engine I am building. Unfortunately I discarded the old one some time ago not thinking I'd need it again.

Many thanks,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 18:15   #2
mike gilbert
Master Member

Gordon,
do you mean the thickness? And are they different to the B20B as I have one of those and could measure it - I suspect the E one is thinner.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 18:31   #3
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Mike,

I'm looking to establish the capacity in CC of the area in the chamber taken up by a compressed gasket. It can be measured by sandwitching the old gasket between two plates of perspex and filling the space with measured parrafin or liquid. Its a bit of a faff to do and as I have allready binned my old gasket, I was hoping to find someone out there who has allready done it.
It sounds like a real anoraks question, but I need to know it to work out what the projected compression ration of a B20 I'm building would be. It'll mean I can do the maths and work out if I can use a particular racing head I have in mind, or if it has been too radically shaved to use with unleaded petrol on a road car.

Cheers,

Gordon
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 19:06   #4
B20F
Master Member

The original E headgasket is 0.8mm unloaded and 0.7mm loaded. BUT these original E headgaskets aren't available anymore as far as I know. You have to use either a F gasket (thicker) and plain the head or a B gasket ( the same thickness as an E gasket)

http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...nual_180_E.pdf

ps:
be aware that if you order a E gasket they probilly sent you a F!

Last edited by B20F; Aug 6th, 2007 at 19:12.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B20F For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 19:10   #5
mike gilbert
Master Member

Oh I get you now, you need a used item. Sorry, I keep most bits of useless old tat 'just in case', but none of those.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 20:43   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Here's something to play with http://not2fast.com/turbo/compression/compression.shtml
Standard E head volume is 47cc.
Going from an 0.030 to a 0.050 gasket gives a change in CR of, say, 10.5:1 to a gnats whisker below 10.0:1 so shaving 0.020 off and using the thinner gasket should give 11:1.
Does that sound about right? You need to be able to measure the height of a standard head and compare it to your race one.
Info nicked from the Yahoo 1800 forum so not my own work. Thanks Phil.
Sounds like you're having fun.................
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:05   #7
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your input.
I have managed to measure the cc of the chambers on the head and it works out at 40.7 cc. So I guess this has been seriously shaved.
What I can't manage to work out is the cc of the compressed gasket and the cc of the distance between the top of the piston and the top of the block. After 14 or so unsuccessful attempts, liquid volume measuring seems just impossible in such a tight gap.
If I could only get these figures then I could work out the potential CR of the engine with this modified head and find out if it is going to be a reasonable head for road use.
It is worth checking this out as it has had a lot of expensive looking work done and would give me far better performance over the standard E head I have.
I'll have a look at the link you posted, but I'm no engineer, so If you can help in any way, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Gordon
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 22:53   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Extrapolating (lovely word, reminds me of Mme Domenique....) from the Vizard Mini tuning book gives some numbers which might be close. Doubling up from a 1000cc engine would give 2cc above the piston and 4cc for the compressed gasket space. Those figures assume a similar bore/stroke ratio. I haven't checked that. It does give you a fixed volume below the head but might not be exact. The piston heights might be different, and all lower than the Mini. 40.7cc would give 11.7:1 using the figures above. If it was 4cc above the pistons it would only be 11.26:1 Probably OK with 100+ octane and a head that flows well, esp the exhausts. Normally, by selectively skimming the pistons and then rebalancing them before decking the block to get rid of the excess, you'd make the most of your CR.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 00:06   #9
barney paull-edwards
B.P-E

Default gaskets

Not sure if it helps but the head measurement from face to head bolt contact is 88mm, and from head face to overflow pipe is 35mm,if you`re trying to use measurements the old way, use kero in burette, it has less meniscus than water.
barney paull-edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barney paull-edwards For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:12   #10
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Thanks Derek, I guess an approximate figure might be enough to go the 'suck it and see' route if all else fails.
I was hoping to get more accurate figures and was using the following equation.

Size of engine divided by 4 +total of combined cc in the head/gasket/bore divided by the total number of CC in the head/gasket and bore with piston at TDC = COMPRESSION RATIO.

I was using parrafin and a burette to measure, however, this proved nigh impossible to get the gasket/bore measured acurately. Hence my original post and questions. However, short of someone else knowing these figures I switched to using a digital vernier caliper to work out the gasket & bore volumes myself using a basic cylinder volume calculation.
My figures are as follows:

B20 individual cylinder displacement = 497.5 cc (1990 / 4)
My modified head chamber (40.7cc)
B20 gasket allowing .1mm for compression on re-assembly (7.236cc)
B20 bore from piston at TDC (4.347cc)

Total = 52.3cc

So, 497.5 + 52.3 divided by 52.3 = 10.5:1 CR!

This figure seems incorrect to me. The original B20 E had a CR of 10.5:1!
This modified head is 83 mm thick. It is not an E head so has either been one of the following:
B20A: 86.7mm
B20B: 86.2 mm
B20F: 87 mm

That's all I know about its history. It looks like some really expensive work has been done to it in the past, so I want to try and use it. Hence the need to work out potential CR. I'd be happy to shave a bit off the pistons if I can only work out an accurate CR first.

My only guess is that somehow I've got the cc of the gasket and/or the cc of the bore from piston at TDC wrong. I have measured as accurately as I can and don't see another way of doing it / checking it unless someone has been there before and knows these figures?

Can anyone please confirm the gasket and piston bore to TDC figures as they should be standard? (the block has only 47K from new and has never been touched)?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Hunter; Aug 7th, 2007 at 09:19.