Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Towing Electrics

Views : 4545

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:51   #1
Andy76

Default V70 Towing Electrics

Guys

Im looking for some advice

I had a Witter towbar fitted with twin electrics. When I hooked it up to the van the indicators worked fine but the brake and side lights did not work. I also got the bulb failure message on the dash.

I took the car back to the guy who fitted it and he plugged in a trailer board and all seemed ok which suggests it may be a problem on the van which has been in storage for the last few months.

Is it safe to assume the van is the issue and not he installation before I start disassembling the van or could it still be installation issue with the electrics. I noticed in some other posts reference to the bulb failure warnings etc when non volvo electrics are fitted and spliced in.

The car is a 2005 V70 T5 and the elctrics were spliced in in the passenger side loom behind the light cluster. The fitter suggested that it could be a problem on the earth/return on the van but would this not also stop the indicators from working?

Andy
Andy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 13:22   #2
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

The easiest way of sorting this is to test the van on a car with working electrics or with the test box at your friendly caravan dealer. Of course you may wish to get the van serviced at the same time!

Central Scotland is a long way for you to come and test the van on my "other car" which has 7 pin electrics
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:54   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
Guys

Im looking for some advice

I had a Witter towbar fitted with twin electrics. When I hooked it up to the van the indicators worked fine but the brake and side lights did not work. I also got the bulb failure message on the dash.

I took the car back to the guy who fitted it and he plugged in a trailer board and all seemed ok which suggests it may be a problem on the van which has been in storage for the last few months.

Is it safe to assume the van is the issue and not he installation before I start disassembling the van or could it still be installation issue with the electrics. I noticed in some other posts reference to the bulb failure warnings etc when non volvo electrics are fitted and spliced in.

The car is a 2005 V70 T5 and the elctrics were spliced in in the passenger side loom behind the light cluster. The fitter suggested that it could be a problem on the earth/return on the van but would this not also stop the indicators from working?

Andy
i would suspect its the car the canbus does not like being spliced into, for all the hasle its better to plug and play. are all your lights working when the van is not hooked up.
mike
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 20:43   #4
Andy76

Yes all the lights are fine when the van isn't plugged in however I lose the driver side tail light when I connect the van. The brake lights on the car seem ok though.

I had a quick look last night and noticed if I connect the van the lights come on for a second or so the go off as the 'parking light bulb failure' warning comes up on the dash

The van has side repeater lights, therefore effectively three bulbs per side including the rear light cluster. Could this be the issue?

Hopefully I will get an hour of light tomorrow night to have a look

Is canbus just the cars wiring loom or some sort electronic monitoring?
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 21:02   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
i would suspect its the car the canbus does not like being spliced into, for all the hasle its better to plug and play. are all your lights working when the van is not hooked up.
mike

+1 Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 21:17   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
Yes all the lights are fine when the van isn't plugged in however I lose the driver side tail light when I connect the van. The brake lights on the car seem ok though.

I had a quick look last night and noticed if I connect the van the lights come on for a second or so the go off as the 'parking light bulb failure' warning comes up on the dash

The van has side repeater lights, therefore effectively three bulbs per side including the rear light cluster. Could this be the issue?

Hopefully I will get an hour of light tomorrow night to have a look

Is canbus just the cars wiring loom or some sort electronic monitoring?
have you one off these or somthing that can check the voltage i find this easier as it lights up when you conect to live.
http://www.incarshop.co.uk/acatalog/...l_Testers.html,

go to the cars 7 pin socket and check each pin and see what is happening check side lights brake lights indicators left and right. if they work as they should then it will be the van..
http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/shop/132/133/142/.
hope that helps
mike
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 20:01   #7
Andy76

Hi guys, quick update

I decided to remove all the sidelight bulbs from the van (6 in total) and left the number plate light in. I plugged in the electrics and the number plate light stayed lit. I then inserted bulbs one at a time until the sidelights stopped working.

To cut a long story short anymore than 3 bulbs bring on a bulb failure warning and seem to cut the power to the lights.

Tried a similar excercise with the brake lights and with one in all is ok but both fitted cause the brake light bulb failure warning and the brake lights stop working. I assume the car senses the load being drawn in the circuit and switches the lights off?

I have just ordered a 7 way smart relay and wiring kit ,which seems to be an interposing relay(s), which I hope will fix the problem.

Thanks for you help so far. I will let you know the outcome
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 19:21   #8
tonyvolvo

Default 7 pin

HI DON'T BOTHER THE WAY YOU ARE DOING IT. GO TO BRAYDON MOTOR'S LONDON AND GET THE CORRECT 7 PIN .PLUGS STRAIGHT INTO VOLVO'S SYSTEM.COST AT THE LAST ONE FOR MY XC70 12mth's ago. £20. IT IS MADE UP INCLUDING GROMMET THROUGH THE FLOOR. DONE 3 UP TO NOW.

BRAYDON MOTOR'S

REGARDS
TONYB 01873 853826
tonyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 19:39   #9
simpT5
Lovin all 5 of my pots

The 7 way smart relay you have ordered will sort out your problem.

I fit Witter towbars for a living and your car should not have been wired up without a bypass relay.

It sounds like your fitter has wired your 12n socket directly to the vehicle loom.

I use smart relays from Ryder towing, they are brilliant and have no problems at all with even the most complex lighting circuits.

The whole purpose of the bypass relay is so any current drawn via your 12n socket is taken directly from another positive source, i.e the battey +ve terminal via a suitable inline fuse. The 12v signals from your vehicle's wiring loom are only used to switch the smart relay, the current consumed is only milliamps and as such, your 12n socket and anything connected to it will be invisible to your vehicle and it's bulb checking system.

Last edited by simpT5; Mar 25th, 2011 at 20:00.
simpT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 18:14   #10
Andy76

The relay did he trick. Everything seems ok

Thanks for the help guys