Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution

Views : 32613

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 13:28   #21
marlonjd

hi BestGear

do you know where i can pick up the yellow Ignition cable in the car and also does the car radio have a ariel port at the back of it. i was thinking of getting a hardwired FM modulator and plugging it in between the radio and the ariel cable for better sound ?
marlonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 19:48   #22
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonjd View Post
hi BestGear

do you know where i can pick up the yellow Ignition cable in the car and also does the car radio have a ariel port at the back of it. i was thinking of getting a hardwired FM modulator and plugging it in between the radio and the ariel cable for better sound ?
Hi

There is switched 12V in the centre console already - so you can use that. The only downside of that supply is that it gets cut during starting, as do several of the switched 12v supplies (eg wipers etc...)

Re modulator - I would stick with the FM one of the type I used as the Volvo use has an aerial amp in the rear roof area and the connection to the head unit is really best left as is methinks. Its possible to fit a modulator in there I expect but would question if its worth the hassle over the other type.

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 22:48   #23
marlonjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi

There is switched 12V in the centre console already - so you can use that. The only downside of that supply is that it gets cut during starting, as do several of the switched 12v supplies (eg wipers etc...)

Re modulator - I would stick with the FM one of the type I used as the Volvo use has an aerial amp in the rear roof area and the connection to the head unit is really best left as is methinks. Its possible to fit a modulator in there I expect but would question if its worth the hassle over the other type.

David
thanks for the info what it is i am looking to install a mac mini to run my vids and photos and play music for one of my inputs and use a Cyclone Live Full HD1080p adapter for the other output and i need 12v dc from the battery and 12v dc that is switched on and off with the Ignition to run the mac mini
marlonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 23:19   #24
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonjd View Post
thanks for the info what it is i am looking to install a mac mini to run my vids and photos and play music for one of my inputs and use a Cyclone Live Full HD1080p adapter for the other output and i need 12v dc from the battery and 12v dc that is switched on and off with the Ignition to run the mac mini
Hi

OK, as you need a permanent live as well as switched, then I guess its back to the fuse box.

Just watchout re the switched power being cut when on engine start - that may cause you a problem/irritation.

David
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 15:06   #25
jangol

Hi Again,

Thanks for your help thus far!! I went for Pioneer 7inch widescreen, but after trying to get them to kit in a spare set of XC90 headrest's I've given up & picked up a new set of XC90 headrest with screens in, so Pioneer one's are going back onto ebay?!

I'm binnig the Changer & should get my micro player any day now, got my fm module ready...

Just a few questions! would PM you but I'm still to new

Where & how will I power the screens from, they come with (according to the pics) 3.5 jack for Sound & plug for power, will I be cutting the plug & wiring it too.... ??

Also, I want to run wireless head phones in the back, any suggestion on a OK ok set with a receiver

Cheers again
jangol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 15:47   #26
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangol View Post
Just a few questions! would PM you but I'm still to new

Where & how will I power the screens from, they come with (according to the pics) 3.5 jack for Sound & plug for power, will I be cutting the plug & wiring it too.... ??
There is switched 12v alreadyin the centre console armrest - used fo rthe ciggy lighter - so you can use that if you dont want to run wires. Remember that that sourse gets cut briefly when you start.

Quote:
Also, I want to run wireless head phones in the back, any suggestion on a OK ok set with a receiver
To be honest, pretty much any wireless headphones will do - just check that the transmitter is a 12v device - as are the Thompson ones that are typically used. I bought mine on ebay - paid £15 or so for three sets of brand new headphones in scruffy boxes.

David
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 16:05   #27
jangol

Thanks again!!

I have the following Volvo headrest 40005589, Do you know If they come with IR receivers?? or should I be looking for headphone sets that come with their own receivers, as they double in price?/

P's did you have any diaigrams on how you installed your Mico set-up... Did you use splitter for sound from headphones & Fm Module?

Cheers
JA
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 16:27   #28
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I cannot confirm that part number - are these the dealer or factory fit headrest monitors?

If they are the dealer fit headrests, they do have IR receivers built in - that is what the 3.5mm jack socket is for.

I dont use these IR receivers as the headphones are IR not RF.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Jan 24th, 2011 at 16:36.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 16:54   #29
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
P's did you have any diaigrams on how you installed your Mico set-up... Did you use splitter for sound from headphones & Fm Module?

Cheers
JA

Hi - I did do a diagram so will have a look - I am sure I posted it before.

Its simple really - video output on Player is high enough to drive both screens directly.

The audio again is simply split to FM and to headphone transmitted - all phonos or 3.5mm jacks - no cutting and tape - all just using off the shelf splitters.

David
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 19:38   #30
jangol

Hi Bestgear!

a few questions if I may

As mentioned, I've recently picked up a set of (new) so I was told Volvo Genuine Headrest screens, part no 40005589, do you know if they defo for a XC90 as it appears, I could be wrong, that the poles are in a narrower position then my current ones!!

Also....

Popped into My local Maplins today, hoping for their workers to confirm what I would need to power my Cyclone Mirco player in my car!! They directed me to a unit called a inverter (I think thats wht they said)

What did you use to power it!! any makes & model no's would be so helpful, as the guys in there were useless! (well today they were)

Thanks