Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does Anyone Use VPower Diesel?

Views : 20608

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:24   #111
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Interesting reading - I wonder if anyone has any more recent comments?

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 14:37   #112
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
As has been said a few times on here I believe the XC90's fuel consumption seems to sit around the same as the XC60's (despite the XC60 on paper being far far more economical).I tend to average about 30mpg overall with 36/7 on a run if lucky and 27mpg around town.

Regards
My XC90 2003 Auto Euro 3 D5 averaged 40 mpg on a run and my XC60 2015 Auto Euro 5 D5 averages 44 mpg. Both on Shell V+

Roy
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 21:59   #113
jora1981

Car seems to run smoother on the vpower!
jora1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 20:37   #114
docjd

Smile

regularly use vpower in d5 -definitely smoother,quieter engine and hopefully cleaner injectors!
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 23:14   #115
cchidzey

Having worked in a large refinery, and seeing which tankers are loaded from which bunkers, almost all forecourts are supplied from the same supply.

Shell V Power is a different blend, but all the other 'Premium' diesels are the same. Supermarket and forecourt brands of ordinary diesel also come from the same tanks.

Some tankers are loaded for HGV use, this is the same diesel blend but has less anti-foam in it, makes it marginally cheaper for the haulier.

In short, in my opinion these premium diesels are mostly a con, it comes from the same takes as the ordinary stuff, which is the same stuff be it Tesco's, Texaco, Morrisons or BP.
cchidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cchidzey For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:58   #116
rsymes2k

I do a regular run of 440mile round trip and average around 30k miles a year.

There are a lot of variables here and comparing "XC90 to XC90" just won't cut it, different tyres, different servicing, different oil, different tyre pressures, different weather conditions (Wind direction of drive etc etc) You will only be able to see the benefits of your own car on your own car on your own route, on a regular basis...

But what I can tell you is... If I run 2 x tanks back to back on V-Power I generally get an extra 58 miles in a tank, there also seems to be a long-term effect by doing 2 tanks back to back where if I change back to regular diesel after v-power I can keep getting slightly better mileage for around another 3-5 refuels...

If I just run 1 x tank of V-Power it has some benefit but nothing like running 2 x tanks back to back.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth based on my XC90 and BMW 116D

Without a doubt though the biggest user effect on fuel economy is tyre pressure!

I also did a challenge once of how far a couple of us could get on £15 petrol in a Mini 1.6 (BMW), I did 312 miles by sitting behind a lorry on the motorway and "drafting" it, the other guy did 228!
rsymes2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 16:40   #117
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsymes2k View Post
I do a regular run of 440mile round trip and average around 30k miles a year.

There are a lot of variables here and comparing "XC90 to XC90" just won't cut it, different tyres, different servicing, different oil, different tyre pressures, different weather conditions (Wind direction of drive etc etc) You will only be able to see the benefits of your own car on your own car on your own route, on a regular basis...

But what I can tell you is... If I run 2 x tanks back to back on V-Power I generally get an extra 58 miles in a tank, there also seems to be a long-term effect by doing 2 tanks back to back where if I change back to regular diesel after v-power I can keep getting slightly better mileage for around another 3-5 refuels...

If I just run 1 x tank of V-Power it has some benefit but nothing like running 2 x tanks back to back.
Thats very similar to my experience. I notice it more on my V70 D5 163 than my XC90 D5 185, probably because I used to do lots of long trips in the V70, and noted the mileage every fill-up.

Like you, first tank on V-power gave a slight mileage improvement. Second tank a significant improvement.
My XC does many short journeys and long journeys towing a heavy caravan. V-Power (or BP Ultimate) improves the range enough to be worthwhile.

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aland For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 22:31   #118
Railman69

I have been using Shell v-power Diesel in my 2006 xc90 D5 for quite a time
I found it expensive per Litre but, the engine gradually ran smoother and more responsive.

Recently, I moved over to using BP Ultimate Diesel with Active Technology, this too was more expensive at £1.42p / Litre.

With the first tank full, The car was transformed in 2 days. very smooth and somewhat more sporty to drive. The cold start was not hesitant any more and the engine fired up quicker and idles smooth without vibrations.

Yes, both fuels are costly and good, but I'm looking for a cleaner engine (injectors, emissions, etc. as opposed to putting fuel additives in the tank.

I can honestly say the BP fuel is now my 1st choice, the overall performance is superb, not sluggish, but I must say the miles/gallon so far, is about the same consumption.

I've always used shell v-power in my Ford Ranger 3.2 Diesel truck and seemed ok but when I used the BP Ultimate with Active technology instead, the Ford too became a more sporty truck to drive.

So I'm staying with BP fuel now in the hope it does what BP claims cleaner engine etc and will monitor any change in Mpg
Railman69 is offline   Reply With Quote