Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 163bhp 2.4d remap

Views : 2524

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2016, 06:04   #11
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ 6334 View Post
So not worth remapping then?
I've had both my Volvo diesels remapped giving me extra power for very little extra fuel which I've been very happy with.
I think, for what you've described as your usage pattern, any DPF equipped diesel is going to disappoint. My wife only averaged 37MPG in two 1.6 diesel EU IV MPVs run back to back, one with stop/start one without. She currently gets 53 MPG from a petrol hybrid estate car. Same routes, same driver since 2009.

I don't think there is a magic bullet for you unfortunately, a case of the wrong tool for the job.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; May 5th, 2016 at 06:07.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:47   #12
reggit
Premier Member

From reading your other thread, if I was in your position, I'd sell the car and assuming you otherwise like it, buy the same model with a petrol engine which would much more suit your useage, or if you really want diesel look for an older model 2004/5 with the E3 engine.

FYI I have a E3 V70 which does mostly short runs/shopping trips and, according to the optomistic computer, is returning low 40's - realistically high 30's - when on a decent run it returns low 50's calculated (high 50's-low 60's on the computer)
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:36   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
So not worth remapping then?
I think remap would be worth it, you do get better mpg (I got noticeable mpg gains with mine) but most just tend to use more power as its there so end up getting worse mpg. so depends.

filters / services / fuel make a big difference to mpg as well

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 15:42   #14
Russ 6334

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
I think remap would be worth it, you do get better mpg (I got noticeable mpg gains with mine) but most just tend to use more power as its there so end up getting worse mpg. so depends.

filters / services / fuel make a big difference to mpg as well
I guess I just bought the wrong car for MPG! though I need a big car for my wifes business and to tow the speedboat so cant really sell the thing as nothing else is as big as the V70.

what do you mean by fuel? the car was serviced last week when I bought it.

I used to put super unleaded in my Norton commando but stopped after it made no difference to MPG, same as my triumph tiger which is new, no difference.

Do you mean dirty filter perhaps? I give an example most cars say run on super plus fuel, here super is 97-99 but in Mexico where my wife is from she always put super in her car and that was 88! and it made no difference there either, her MPG in a new beetle was the same thereabouts as here and in Mexico city its high altitude baking hot and full of dust!

is there anyone out there with a 2.4 D 2008 model with an auto box? and if so what are they getting at the pump.
Russ 6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 17:25   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
I guess I just bought the wrong car for MPG! though I need a big car for my wifes business and to tow the speedboat so cant really sell the thing as nothing else is as big as the V70.

what do you mean by fuel? the car was serviced last week when I bought it.

I used to put super unleaded in my Norton commando but stopped after it made no difference to MPG, same as my triumph tiger which is new, no difference.

Do you mean dirty filter perhaps? I give an example most cars say run on super plus fuel, here super is 97-99 but in Mexico where my wife is from she always put super in her car and that was 88! and it made no difference there either, her MPG in a new beetle was the same thereabouts as here and in Mexico city its high altitude baking hot and full of dust!

is there anyone out there with a 2.4 D 2008 model with an auto box? and if so what are they getting at the pump.
Yeh filters / O2 sensors / MAF etc ... if these sensors and stuff get worn or old they are a negative effect on your fuel consumption. yeh im not sure on the super fuel for diesels but with my petrol it definitely runs better and last a bit longer. A remap wouldnt hurt at all and you will see mpg gains but dont expect anything record breaking.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 22:09   #16
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Www.fuelly.com which I always use and I have found it to be the most accurate for all the vehicles I have say the car averages 28mpg
Ok, I think you have this wrong for starters.

2008 V70s average 31.18 mpg on fuelly - this includes petrols. Limiting the search to the 4 diesel models listed for that year, the average is in the high 30s.

Either something is wrong with your vehicle, or your particular mix of driving route, length and style results in very poor mpg.

Our 225bhp D5 Polestar Auto V70 returns a high 30s average - that's coming down a little lately because my new commute doesn't suit the vehicle. Although it's of reasonable length (10.5 miles each way) it has only one short stretch of 50mph limit, lots of traffic lights and slow traffic. This is murder on a heavy car's fuel economy.

As observed, this is not a fair comparison though - just as your mate's Euro 3 is better on fuel, so is my Euro 5 model. The first pass of DPF equipped models did suffer, and your short journeys (it takes at least 5 miles for this model to warm up - worse if it lives outdoors at night) will really hurt.

A remap isn't going to make the difference you're looking for - it can't drastically alter the thermal efficiency of the engine, and it doesn't alter your mix of driving. This is where you're at with this car - if it doesn't do it for you then look elsewhere.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:39   #17
Russ 6334

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Ok, I think you have this wrong for starters.

2008 V70s average 31.18 mpg on fuelly - this includes petrols. Limiting the search to the 4 diesel models listed for that year, the average is in the high 30s.

Either something is wrong with your vehicle, or your particular mix of driving route, length and style results in very poor mpg.

Our 225bhp D5 Polestar Auto V70 returns a high 30s average - that's coming down a little lately because my new commute doesn't suit the vehicle. Although it's of reasonable length (10.5 miles each way) it has only one short stretch of 50mph limit, lots of traffic lights and slow traffic. This is murder on a heavy car's fuel economy.

As observed, this is not a fair comparison though - just as your mate's Euro 3 is better on fuel, so is my Euro 5 model. The first pass of DPF equipped models did suffer, and your short journeys (it takes at least 5 miles for this model to warm up - worse if it lives outdoors at night) will really hurt.

A remap isn't going to make the difference you're looking for - it can't drastically alter the thermal efficiency of the engine, and it doesn't alter your mix of driving. This is where you're at with this car - if it doesn't do it for you then look elsewhere.
How are you measuring that at the pump or computer? the computer is miles out. mine still says 44mpg and its doing 23mpg!

if you go to fuelly V70 year 2008 and diesel you will see the average on the 3 cars is 26mpg for one, 30mpg for the other and 35mpg for the 3rd

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/v70/...=&submodel_id=

the 26mpg is over 43 tanks
the 35mpg is over 8 tanks (over 8 tanks you could kind of discount this as its not a lot of data)
the 30mpg is over 68 tanks

I appreciate everyone claims this mileages but I like the facts, Fuelly matches mine there abouts and mine is measured over the pump.

I spoke to a guy the other day who reckoned his V70 did 65mpg!!!! asked him how much he put in over the miles he did and it worked out to be 32mpg!!
Russ 6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:19   #18
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
How are you measuring that at the pump or computer? the computer is miles out. mine still says 44mpg and its doing 23mpg!
I have every single bit of data in terms of mileage, fuel at the pump, etc for every single car I have ever owned. You'll find me on the 2011 V70 page on fuelly.

Quote:
if you go to fuelly V70 year 2008 and diesel you will see the average on the 3 cars is 26mpg for one, 30mpg for the other and 35mpg for the 3rd
No you won't. You'll find those 3 cars give 31.4, 36.1 and 42.4 mpg. Unless of course you were foolish enough to have it set to US mpg and then quote the figures on a forum to support your argument...

Quote:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/v70/...=&submodel_id=

the 26mpg is over 43 tanks
the 35mpg is over 8 tanks (over 8 tanks you could kind of discount this as its not a lot of data)
the 30mpg is over 68 tanks
Set to UK mpg and see what they come up with.

Quote:
I appreciate everyone claims this mileages but I like the facts, Fuelly matches mine there abouts and mine is measured over the pump.
So do I, which is why I've always maintained my data for every car I own. In fact, with the V70 I even record the discrepancy between the computer and the real pump figure.

However, when harping on about facts like this and trying to proclaim that everyone is wrong it's useful if yours are correct.

Quote:
I spoke to a guy the other day who reckoned his V70 did 65mpg!!!! asked him how much he put in over the miles he did and it worked out to be 32mpg!!
People love to talk up what they have. I knew a guy in the US who had a Pontiac Trans Sport and was unwavering in his belief that it did 38mpg(US) (about 47mpg UK) around town because it's aerodynamics were so good.

However, I am very clear as to exactly what mpg my vehicles return. My 2.0 automatic mitsubishi galant did 30.2 (45k miles), the 2.4 GDI manual did 33.7 (12k miles), my 2.0 Honda Accord Tourer did 33.1 (49k miles) and so far my V70 has done 38.19 (29k miles - not updated fuelly with my last few yet). I have all the data to show this.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 13:48   #19
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

My XC70 D5 Auto has averaged 35.8MPG over the last 17,860 miles but it's dropping of late due to increased town usage, shorter journeys etc. The last tank gave me 32.02MPG which is 62.69 litres to cover 441.6 miles. I have had it as low as 26MPG over a tank of solely town driving, short runs, no warm up time, and then subjecting it to my partners driving!! This is a woman who managed to get a V40 D2 Eco jobbie to do 19MPG, that's what we're contending with here, by contrast I got 47 out of it

You're not doing to badly compared to my car I think, the only thing is I find the computer in my car to be quite accurate. Like I-S I record all my fuel data and the computer discrepancy. The computer in my car overeads by 8% which is better than most of my other cars.
Old May 6th, 2016, 13:51   #20
tt82
Forum Support Team

I find the discrepancy to differ depending on the fuel used. Used to use Tesco Diesel a lot as I had fallen out with Shell. Started using Shell again now and it is now much more accurate!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote