Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 54782

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 16:59   #11
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Engine oil recommendations are now based on making sure that the engine is as economic as possible AND does not fail within the main warranty period too often.
Design spec for most petrol engines is 0 or 5w30 (No effective difference unless you live at the Poles) and is 0 or 5w40 for a diesel.
Some new hybrid petrol engines are OK on 0 or 5w20 oils.

Those design specs are for engines in good condition that do not suffer from fuel contamination.
I think using an 0w30 in a high mileage diesel is OK in winter but a silly idea in summer.
0 or 5w40 is the way to go!
If you suffer from fuel contamination of the oil, cut the oil change interval in half or use an oil additive like Ceratec.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 17:07   #12
5cilinder
Premier Member

@Clan

Your a good helpful lad with tons of experience regarding repairing volvoś , but are a bit too submissive regarding volvo regulations and always chanting on the knees for their altar
Now were i come from ,regulations are good but good critical thinking is better when circumstances are changing

Im not a fan of those wateroils, only if they are used in artic conditions with a lot of start and stops .
Volvo (and others) are using these wateroils to squeeze out every bit of emissions that they can get to meet regulations on paper , and thats also money if they can sell their cars that way
Engines are wearing quicker with those oils than thicker synthetic ones ,oil analysis proves this .
The unwary car customer wont notice since "servicelife" means a few years of warranty not 20 years of usage outside warranty .
Most people who come here on this forum have old cars outside warranty , and are better suited with good practicle advise when the engine starts using oil outside warranty

Now the pre dpf d5ś where using 5w40 synthetic how come?
Why did they change that into 0w30 with dpf? (same cilinders same pistons same clearences)
Odd aint it? Ill tel you why: emissions and dpf ashloading that doesnt mean that 0w30 oil is better for the outside warranty 10 year old car customer .
If you add in the extra fueldillution with dpf operation in the already thin 0w30 than im not suprised that a lot of those d5ś have valvelifter problems that pre dpf d5ś with undilluted 5w40 dont have
You do the math
Also the scam that only castrol can be used is moblike other brands that meet good wear and ash specs are just as good (or better)

The ashdifferences in 5w40 and 0w30 arent that much anyway and if you factor in less evaporation with 5w40 and less blowby then fewer oil will be burned that produces ash anyway.
Now even if the dpf gets plugged eventually (outside warranty remember ) than your holy volvo tries to sell their customers new dpfś for big money instead of recycle them by cleaning them with burning and reverse pressurized air like the trucking industry does

Thats odd behaviour for a company who claims to be sustainible to throw good dpfś away to sell their customers new ones

The crap ive withnessed first and secondhand with those companies are outragious
Axelping for instance : easily fixed with a xc90 bolt with a rubber ring, volvo refuses it because the bolt is only for xc90! yeah it fits perfect on other models , they are trying not working crap with locktite and disassemble axles for big money

The list goes on and on and on and not only with volvo also other brands operate this way
Fixing very old cars with bills more than their value , while cheaper commonsense options where availible, but dependend non technical customers are talked into it and gotten to the cleaners
Those talking suits with toothpaste smiles on their granit floors disgust me

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 18th, 2016 at 17:13.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 11:16   #13
younger06
Volvo Newbie

So with all that said.............what should I be using in my high mileage (350,000kms) 2009 D5 ????
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:04   #14
5cilinder
Premier Member

Low ash synthetic 5w40
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:05   #15
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Low ash synthetic 5w40

Cheers.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:05   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
So with all that said.............what should I be using in my high mileage (350,000kms) 2009 D5 ????
0w/30 A5/B5 ... :-) High mileage should make no difference , you wont find any wear if you were to strip the engine ... ( been there done that, measured this that and the other )
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:09   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Low ash synthetic 5w40
volvo have never recommended 5w/40

on the pre 2005 models with 12000 mile service intervals it was 5w/30 and on volvos oil chart is does say do not use 5w/40 for what ever reason .

the 0w/30 came along with the change to 18000 service intervals ...long life oil .
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:22   #18
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They did (see below) but even if they didnt its still ok to use a better wearresistant oil with common sense
Also the valvelifters will be thankfull ;-)

Well there are differences between manuals in countries
But lets say we take a pre 2005 manual

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/webmanu..._EN_tp6678.pdf

On page 156 we get the recommendation to use a acea b4 spec oil on DIESEL engines

Quote:
Diesel engines : acea B4
Note that the same oil can comply with ACEA
A3, ACEA B3 and ACEA B4, regardless of
whether the oil is a mineral oil, semi-synthetic
or fully synthetic

You do know that the wateroils dont/cant meet this wearspec? and almost all synthetic and even some semisynthetic 5w40 do meet this spec? 5w40 isn excluded its almost mandatory to meet this b4 spec

Why is that? and why is this changed to a lesser wearspec after 2005? the answer i gave 2 posts earlier

Also the argumentation that 0w30 is longlife makes it even worse, the polymers that are used to make the 30 part after the W are being chopped up by mechanical stresses during (longer)usage and will lessen the viscosity even more on high temps, there are also plenty longlife 5w40 oils

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 19th, 2016 at 12:48.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:25   #19
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
0w/30 A5/B5 ... :-) High mileage should make no difference , you wont find any wear if you were to strip the engine ... ( been there done that, measured this that and the other )
Replaced any valvelifters post 2005 d5?
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 13:01   #20
cwmitch

Quote:

on the pre 2005 models with 12000 mile service intervals it was 5w/30 and on volvos oil chart is does say do not use 5w/40 for what ever reason .

the 0w/30 came along with the change to 18000 service intervals ...long life oil .

So going back to my original point at the start of this thread!

I don't do 18k miles between oil changes I do around 8/9 K
also I live in Cumbria which whilst wet isn't the coldest place to
live.

Is the oil I asked about 5w30 Magnatec that has the all important
according to lots of people A5/B5 spec i.e. what Volvo specify okay
to use?

Best Colin.