Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pulling out of junctions

Views : 9829

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:38   #1
stevieb_xc90

Default Pulling out of junctions

As above really, how do others do it?

I have had the XC90 a week, and am finding pulling out of junctions to be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the gearbox is awake and goes other times it is slow to pickup unless you plant your right foot. I have a Auto D5 model.

Any Advice

Steve
stevieb_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:29   #2
Monkey Boy

Hi Steve,

do you have the 163 or 185 HP engine?

Marc
Monkey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:44   #3
stevieb_xc90

163 Engine. I am still trying to get to grips as driving a 300Bhp Impreza before the XC90, the differences are like chalk and cheese.
stevieb_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:03   #4
Monkey Boy

This is a trait of the 163!

The 185 revision seems to have improved this 'glitch'. I have had both versions and it was noticable in the 2003 163 I had but the dealer said it was due to the geartronic selecting neutral when you stopped the car at a junction and then selecting 1st when your foot comes off the brake.

I have read elsewhere on these forums that a software update can be applied to stop the gearbox selecting neutral when you stop and i am sure more senior forum members can confirm this statement.

Marc
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 22:09   #5
4wheeldriver
Master Member

HAve the same problem with my 185 which wasnt there till the dealer did an upgrade on the gearbox couple of weeks ago. just had it into the dealer today and was told "the computer says there's nothing wrong with it"! Oh for the days when a mechanic could road test your car and tell you what was wrong just by the feel and the way it sounded......
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4wheeldriver For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 22:12   #6
Monkey Boy

I second that!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 22:20   #7
GSMGuy
Master Member

Funnily enough, I've been caught out by this TWICE tonight... Both times almost causing a collision.. For some reason the lag on mine seems to be greater than ever, I mean if you floor the throttle at a standstill, it can take 2 secs or so before the car moves......

I'm really not happy now, as it's gotten to the point of being dangerous...

I actually don't think it's gearbox related, more to do with programming of the throttle response curve in the ECU....

Maybe an en masse contact to Volvo CS?

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 23:21   #8
4wheeldriver
Master Member

GSM

Only way round it is just find yer point and nail it in the carpet. Sore on the tyres but thats the only way round it
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 23:36   #9
4wheeldriver
Master Member

So who's going to get a list of folks together and send em all to Volvo CS then? If theres enough of us complain bout the same fault then they have to do summat bout it eventually. It definately is the throttle in mine as you start accelerating and it DOES roll but thats bout it then it seems to get to a point on the throttle and BANG shes away!!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:15   #10
Borgi

I had this problem also. My car is a 2004 D5 geartronic 163bhp. I had the ecu re-mapped by a company called Angel Tuning.

They came to my home, took me for a spin & asked what I wanted it to do.
He mentioned that the car suffered a bit from turbo lag.

On returning to base he wipped out ecu, plugged his lap top to it & started re-mapping the areas to be improved.
He told me that he could make the car respond any way I wanted.

He claimed that my car was now 195bhp.

I can honestly say it has made an absolute stonking difference to performance to the point that I can now compete with boy racers at traffic lights. Little effect on fuel consumption.

I spoke to Volvo agents just before I had it done to ask their advice as the car was still under warranty. They said there is no difference between the 163 bhp & the 185bhp engine apart from remapping. The 185 comes remapped at the factory when ordered so as they can make more dosh when you order the greater one of the two. As for warranty they said that providing the tuning was done porperly, it would not be detected and therfore be no issues with invalidating it.

Regards, Marc
Borgi is offline   Reply With Quote