Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pulling out of junctions

Views : 9827

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 07:46   #11
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgi View Post
As for warranty they said that providing the tuning was done porperly, it would not be detected and therfore be no issues with invalidating it.

Regards, Marc
Complete and utter tosh. A remap can be seen by a maindealer once they plug into the OBDII, lots of tuning companies claim their map is invisible (not just Volvo tuners, it's across many makes) and it's simply not true.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 09:46   #12
stevieb_xc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
Complete and utter tosh. A remap can be seen by a maindealer once they plug into the OBDII, lots of tuning companies claim their map is invisible (not just Volvo tuners, it's across many makes) and it's simply not true.
Yep have to agree, after spending 2/3 years remaping my impreza.. The main dealer already twigged that it had been remaped. The dealer said that if you do have a warranty and claim any parts directly linked to the engine would not be covered. Hence Engine/Turbo/Gearbox/Drivetrain would not be covered.

But i dont know enough about the volvo engines strength. so dont knwo how relaible a maped car would be.
stevieb_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:02   #13
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Double utter tosh as the 185 engine is absolutely not the same as a 163 with a different ECU. When Volvo improved the 163 they changed almost all but the moving parts (bigger turbo, etc etc)
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:57   #14
GSMGuy
Master Member

Triple utter tosh!!!
AND Turbo lag isn't the problem!!!!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:46   #15
shimon340

Hi

The neutral select function was something introduced to improve fuel consumption and transmission life. The g/box drops into neutral after some time in D standing still. Volvo had a lot of complaints about this function when people want to suddenly pull out at a r/bout or junction but the car takes a delay to select 1st gear first. A software update for the transmission control module is available from your dealer which deletes this function. Maybe a call to customer services could get you a contribution to the update? The vehicle wont log any fault codes if the neutral select function is causing the symptoms you describe as according the vehicle it is operating as it should be. Later on, the TCM and ECU were integrated into one unit on the XC90 to offer better/ to improve the gear shift control map.
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 13:20   #16
AB-UK
Premier Member

I had this done at my dealer - they warned me that the update was irreversible, and that some customers had reported an improvement, while others had not.
I paid my £60+ for the update, but I can't be certain it has made much of an improvement - sometimes I seem to pull out of the same junction quicker than I have in the past, but it is certainly not an immediately noticeable improvement.
My indi chap, who installs remaps etc., said that even the RICA type upgrade wouldn't necessarily improve the "delay" as it was a gear select "feature" which was the cause of the lag when taking off at a junction.
I have decided to live with the delay, and be more cautious when exiting from a junction, requiring a bigger gap to become apparent before moving out. It does mean the impatient Tw$t behind you "beeps" sometimes, but it's not their lives at risk is it.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 13:39   #17
Monkey Boy

Smile

Well said that man!
Monkey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 13:40   #18
GSMGuy
Master Member

Personally I don't think the neutral select is the issue - if this were the case, then surely on a slight incline, holdinfg the car on the footbrake and in Drive - then releasing the footbrake would cause the car to roll backwards until it selected 1st??? We aren't talking about a fraction of a second delay, we are talking upto a couple of seconds, in fact I am going to time it when I go out in a bit!

This obv does not happen, I am pretty sure it's a deliberate delay in the programming to slow the throttle response from idle... Maybe even to limit torque stresses on the box in 1st...

My Galaxy had neutral select on it's box, and you actually just about feel it dropping into N, but the take up back into 1st was instant...

I really think you are barking up the wrong tree...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 14:50   #19
stevieb_xc90

Personallly, i think it is down the the specifation of the torque transfer box. and not the software!
stevieb_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 14:54   #20
200bhp
XC90 03 D5 Auto

My Wifes 03 Geartronic has no such delay nor did the 04 we test drove at Stratstone.

I know exactly what you mean though as her previous 03 A6 Avant did have a delay that was a 'feature' of the CVT box.
200bhp is offline   Reply With Quote