Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Westfalia Detachable towbar fitting guide

Views : 46394

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 15:14   #11
volvo48

Great! you`ve just saved me a lot of t&t. I have a problem with fridge in 08 Globestar not working when travelling connected to 06 XC90 via 13pin socket. I`ve been trying to get to the fuse panel end of the plug in the boot to see why pin 11 isn`t connected to earth as it should be.Anyway no need to strip away LH trim now to access it, nice one!,----found out that white wires marked R11 and R12 aren`t connected from pins 11 & 12, just need to connect wire R11 to separate earth, with 4mm. Job done !! Thanks a lot.
volvo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 18:07   #12
maball

ABC:

What is the part number for the Harness, the 7 or 7/4 Pin? I removed a 7/4 pin from my 2005, hoping to use it in the 2010 r-design.
maball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:20   #13
maball

Quote:
Originally Posted by maball View Post
ABC:

What is the part number for the Harness, the 7 or 7/4 Pin? I removed a 7/4 pin from my 2005, hoping to use it in the 2010 r-design.
Sorry all, installer error-me. The connection to the Module wasn't complete.

30796543: Cable Harness kit for towbar, 7/4 pin
30664975: Module

2010 XC90 R-design, working as designed.
maball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 15:38   #14
hut160

Did mine over the weekend, and this thread has certainly made it alot easier.
A few observations. the bar is heavy and ideally you should have 2, I managed just about after resting it on a log and then offering it up, fortunately its a tight fit so once in does not slip out easily, had to gently massage mine in with a lump hammer and block of wood!
A decent worklight is a must to see what you are doing underneath and in the side reccess from above,it took me 5 minutes to work out the only way to fit the rear most bolts was to remove the foam liners, easily seen with a light.
one mistake I made was to take off the swinging mounting ring on the towbar to thread the electrics through, putting this back on again whilst under the car was not easy. dont do it!
overall it took about 4 hours, the longest bit was tightening the bolts, it didnt help that my workmate was my 13 year old daughter ( she just loves the car and gladly cleans the inside when asked!) still we got there in the end and as you have mentioned once off you cant see anything, a great design
hut160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hut160 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2010, 22:45   #15
clyde2190

Can I just say, what a great right up and explanation of the work needed. I fitted my detachable bar in less than 2 hours and done a very neat job of the bumper cut.

The wiring was a little worrying as I went to purchase the origional from Volvo at £56 and I was told when ordering it, it would need the SW upgrade if I needed the fog lights and reverse lights etc. I didnt, he said it would be ok then.
When I collected it 3 hours later it was a different story and a different sales man, and he said I would definately need it to make any of the lights work and he confirmed it with a mechanic, well it set me off worrying. Do I buy it or not? The software up grade would be £9 and labour £50 and of course VAT on top. It was now sounding not a good deal, costing £126.50, considering I had the lights module and electric plug supplied with the towbar (spliced one)
I chanced it, got it home plugged it all in, 10 minutes later and hey presto its fine.
What duff advice from the main dealers, was they just after money for nothing?

Thanks very much ABC for top advice and write up. Its worked for me Thanks!

Last edited by clyde2190; May 14th, 2010 at 22:46. Reason: spelling mistake
clyde2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:35   #16
chastie

Hi Clyde2190,
I have just called Volvo to order the 7Pin wiring Kit for my XC90 (2010) and they also told me the same, that I would require a software upgrade after I installed the kit.
I will only be using the towbar and cable for a Thule 3 Bike rack.
Did you buy the Volvo kit and plug that in or use the one supplied with the towbar?
I am hoping to avoid the cost of software upgrade especially if it is not really required.
Thanks to ABC for the great write up, it has inspired me to install the towbar myself.

Last edited by chastie; May 24th, 2010 at 10:36. Reason: Spelling
chastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 14:50   #17
XCF
Master Member

you don't need the SW download if you just have a 3 bike rack on the back. All it does is disable the cars fog light , and chances are if you have a 3 bike rack you won't have a fog light on the lighting board anyway.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:43   #18
pgreenham

Hi ABC - the instructions are great - did you have to put the car on ramps? or was there enough room to manouver the bar in place?
Thanks
pgreenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 21:23   #19
jeffo

Just about to order some accessories for my new car (to be put inside the car when delivered and save delivery costs).

I am considering getting the westfalia towbar and fitting it myself.

does anyone have pictures of the setup including the westfalia towbar AND the volvo electrics. I would like to see what is visible with/without the ball fitted.

Thanks.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:59   #20
jeffo

I have some prices from FRF for the Volvo Towbar/Electrics.

*Towbar, Detachable:* [31269530]
Retail Price £236.09 / Our Price *£188.88

*7 Pin Wiring Kit:* [30756530]
Retail Price £19.93 / Our Price *£15.94

*Trailer Module (TRM):* [30664974]
Retail Price £36.44 / Our Price *£29.15

Questions:
========

1. What the benefits of the Westfalia towbar compared to the Volvo towbar? The Volvo brand item is only £10 more than PF Jones are selling the Westfalia for, so I am considering getting the Volvo Option.

2. What is the "7 Pin" vs. "14 pin" vs "4 and 7-pin" wiring kits?

Thanks.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote