Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 145233

Replies : 922

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 13:58   #371
L7DDO

Alloys wheels refurbed, with new Toyo's all round fitted

and

New petrol cap retaining strap
L7DDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 18:04   #372
flaggy
Master Member

Default 850 2.5 GLT estate.

Not today, over January.
New exhaust,
Two new tyres,
New front discs and pads,
Cleaned pcv system,
New oil and all filters,
Cam belt ,pulleys, water pump, aux belt,
Repaired odometer,
New battery,
New s/h steering wheel,
New s/h glove box lid,
New s/h indicators.

I am retired.
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flaggy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 20:20   #373
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggy View Post
Not today, over January.
New exhaust,
Two new tyres,
New front discs and pads,
Cleaned pcv system,
New oil and all filters,
Cam belt ,pulleys, water pump, aux belt,
Repaired odometer,
New battery,
New s/h steering wheel,
New s/h glove box lid,
New s/h indicators.

I am retired.
Wow!!! I'm just tired..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 15:54   #374
ITSv40
VOC Member

Update on post 363.

Fitted the refurbed servo yesterday and all the bits and pieces taken off in order to move the engine.

One thing I was particularly keen to do was transfer the old part number label to the new servo - they were both the same part number.

I soaked the label in rubbing alcohol for about ten minutes and then with the servo vertical I started at the top corner with a new stanley knife blade and gently lifted the corner. Once it was started I kept a wet edge of alcohol under the label whilst gently working the knife blade in very small steps, I soon found I could feel the glue melting and the label coming free from the metal. The label is plastic and was soon off without damage. I then cleaned all the old glue off with more alcohol and then when dry stuck double sided tape to it and in turn stuck the label to the new servo. Very, very pleased with the result. I now have a repainted servo that looks exactly like original.

As probably guessed by now I obsess over the minute detail.

New engine mounts fitted and all back and working as it should.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200210_134655 (1).jpg (230.4 KB, 21 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 17:29   #375
ITSv40
VOC Member

Having fitted the new servo and engine mounts, I decided that the brake hoses could do with changing. They are all original and feel quite inflexible. My MOT chappie has a fetish about brake hoses so time to change them. Not that I am complaining as they need to be good.

These little beauties arrived today from Goodridge, so my weekends garage job is sorted whilst storm Dennis tries to do his worst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200213_160605 (2).jpg (274.6 KB, 19 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:44   #376
ITSv40
VOC Member

Well, fitting the bake hoses has turned out a bit of a bitch job today. Nothing wrong with the hoses they are superb.

Car up on the lift and wheels off. Try to undo the union between the rigid pipe and the flexi on the front drivers side and not budging at all. Go round to the passenger side and everything comes undone without hassle and new hose fitted within ten minutes. Back to the drivers side and all that is happening is the bracket twisting, but the pipe nut is solid. Needs some heat with a blow torch, but the abs cable is too close so undo the cable in the engine bay and feed out of the way, apply some gentle heat and the nut is undone without difficulty. Fit new flexi and fiddle the abs cable back through the engine bay and connect.

I then cut the end union off the old flexi hoses and soldered to make blanking plugs to temporarily fit to the rear pipes to avoid the system draining.

Undid the two flexi unions on the rear pipes and fitted blanking plugs. All going well and relatively straightforward. I now have the system sealed at the end of the pipes and could set about removing the flexi hoses from the delta arms. This is where the fun starts.

There was no room to undo the unions and if I could get the spanner on the nut it fouled on the body or the arms or both. Need to drop the rear suspension to get enough working room. Removed the shocks from the lower mount and removed the front suspension mounts to drop the front of the delta arms to get the clearance. Tried to undo the unions and again not budging. I then noticed that the flexi hoses are fitted to brackets on the delta arms attached with small screws. Undid the bracket screws, carefully un-clipped the rigid pipes and undid at the calipers and removed the whole lot from under the car.

Even with holding in the vice and having all the space to work in the union nuts were so tight they all 'cracked' when undoing them. There was no way they were going to come undone in the confines under the car.

All rigid pipes are good and no rounded union nuts so all cleaned up and ready to go back on. For some reason Volvo chose to fit one bracket made of plastic - where all others are substantial steel. The plastic bracket surrounds the hexagon on the flexi pipe and inevitably the hexagon had rusted and cracked the bracket, apart from that damage everything is fit to reuse.

Whilst all the pipework was out, I removed the rear calipers and drums, cleaned the handbrake mechanism, checked the shoes, refitted the drums and adjusted handbrake. I have also cleaned the calipers and pads.

Now waiting for a new bracket and various bolts, before continuing with the re-assembly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 23:45   #377
XCR
Master Member

A slight gust was enough to bring the tailgate down onto Mrs. XCR's bonce the other day so I was banished to the internet to order a pair of struts.....
We fitted them today, she supporting the tailgate and I swearing (seemed to help) whilst trying to maintain blood flow through my frozen fingers....
About twenty minutes total for both sides and despite the freezing temperatures, no broken brittle trim.
Tailgate has a renewed impressive performance !
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 12:23   #378
Cookeh
Premier Member

Where did you source them from, there are so many suppliers now. I have heard odd reports about various brands not having any damping at the top end of their travel, which means the tailgate kind of thunks and slams open.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 17:46   #379
XCR
Master Member

I needed a laugh so I rang the main dealer.
I wasn't disappointed.
In the end I chose a pair by Insuppa @ £14.79 shipped.
Faultless in installation and boy are they strong.
The lift of the tailgate is much quicker whereas it was very lazy before.
Not much in the way of damping at the end of the travel but not as violent as they could be. Certainly no 'thunk' and when closing the tailgate the latching is much more positive too.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 18:18   #380
ITSv40
VOC Member

This weekend has turned into a mini project.

Pouring of rain this morning, so thought, I will pop out in the garage and have a tidy up. Now two things that have bugged me since I bought the car is the heavily rusted rear anti roll bar and the scruffy petrol tank straps, everything else underneath looks how a low mileage well cared for car should - not immaculate concours, but in good condition.

I decided that as I had some of the suspension apart, I might as well remove the roll bar and the tank straps and have them blasted and powder coated. Even though the tank straps are galvanised, they are badly rusted and don't look good. Looking around, the rear exhaust bracket that bolts to the body is also looking a bit crummy, so that came off along with the fuel filter bracket. One final part that needs tidying is the top engine mount steady bracket, so that came off as well. All will be dropped off at the powder coaters tomorrow to be refinished in satin black.

One thing I am impressed with and not seen it on any other Volvo is the way the underbody protection has been done. The shell is phosphated or whatever the technical term is and then various components, whether painted or galvanised are assembled. Once everything was complete a shutz gun was used and all nuts and bolts given a blast with shutz compound to protect them. This is the same from the front subframe bolts right through to the rear bumper. I will do the same when everything is back together again.

I can only assume the under body protection was unique to the C70 line given that they were handbuilt in their own factory.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: