Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 power loss

Views : 932

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:22   #1
Mandla

Smile S40 power loss

Driving home last night, in my 1998 S40 T4 when it wouldn't take any throttle and a sudden loss of power. i managed to coast into a layby where it wasn't idling properly and was trying to stall, so i switched it off and left it for a minute and tried to restart it. After a few turns it started but was still the same , idling wrong and just stalled when you gave it throttle, i got it towed home and looked under the bonnet for air pipes off or vacuum pipes because it felt like it was getting no air or it couldn't get rid of the exhaust gases, seized turbo or maybe the cat had collapsed blocking the system, i could hear the fuel pump working, I took off the air filter and looked into the mass air flow meter to see if it was dirty, but it looked ok. I started the car, it seems to be idling normal again. When in the car the engine malfunction light was on which would be right enough but the DSA light was on as well. When i let it run for a while it started vibrating violently and stalled. Then i removed the key and the radiator fan started and wouldn't go off until i put the ignition back on again so i pulled the fuse. Tried it this morning and the fuse back in (no fan) and it started perfectly didn't run it for long removed key fan back on, so i pulled the fuse again, Can someone help!!
Mandla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:43   #2
Enigma666
Master Member

What is happenening tot eh temp of the car when you turn it over? Does it soar up high (faulty thermostat perhaps)
There are a few people on here with the idling issue where the car seems to want to cut out and you have to keep the revs up to stop it (one of the blessings of an x40)
Not sure about the juddering though.
Check all the pipes again for any obvious signs of leaks or splits and if possible take a piccy of the engine bay witht he covers removed
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 00:28   #3
wa666ou

Have you checked for error codes?
wa666ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:29   #4
manoman48
Master Member

I would put my money on the fuel pump. Same year as mine and I have just had to replace mine after the same problems. That said it doesn't explain the strange fan behaviour. As already mentioned, what does the coolant temperature guage read?

If it happens again, but then after an hour or so it works fine again, this is exactly the same as what happened to mine. Be warned though - the distance you can drive before it cuts out gets shorter and shorter.

edit - have a read of this thread => here <= as one of the posters mentioned the fan acting strangely when there was a fuel pump problem.

Last edited by manoman48; Jan 18th, 2008 at 06:36.
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:16   #5
Enigma666
Master Member

I'm intrigued to know how a fuel pump can activate the fans I must admit...
The fans are driven on temperature sensors alone, my guess would be any fans staying on would either be a faulty thermostat or a temp sensor
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:03   #6
manoman48
Master Member

I agree.. it certainly doesn't seem logical to me, but may be a bug in the ECU software?
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:34   #7
spyda

Sounds like a similar thing that happened to me - which turned out to be a major misfire, resolved in the most part by a change of spark plugs.

Only difference really is that I had no issues with the fan. The rest of it all sounds very familiar.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote