Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Mount given out - the evidence!

Views : 5660

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:49   #1
spyda

Default Engine Mount given out - the evidence!

Ok guys, carrying on from my previous thread I am now almost certain that the problem is not a clutch after all. I am now almost convinced my problem lies with an engine mount.

The photo's below were taken this morning. I was driving yesterday and very suddenly the car began to violently judder when under load (coasting seemed a lot more comfortable though still not right). Due to the burning smell, I put this down to the clutch but after going out to investigate this morning I am looking at the engine mount(s) as the cause of the problem.

To me, the whole engine block looks to be tilted to the back of the engine bay somewhat, although not tinkering under the hood too often I cannot be sure.

I started the car this morning and even with the clutch dipped and going nowhere, the car cannot maintain the revs and will not tick over - just dies as soon as I take my foot off the gas.

Due to the above, I think this rules out the clutch out - although I am still baffled by the smell.

I would be grateful if you guys would take a look and let me have your thoughts. Bigger versions of the pis can be found HERE.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:52   #2
spyda

Further testing carried out just now ...

Sitting in the car keeping the foot on the gas to maintain revs (about 1200 revs) there is a definite juddering though the car - clutch obviously disengaged and car going nowhere.

Raise the revs to 2000 and the juddering dies out a little. Anything over 2500 revs and everything seems pretty smooth.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:03   #3
craig8661
Master Member

i would say by the looks of the engine its putting presure on the cam belt covers then there presing on the cam belt im sopprised it hasnt snapped the cam belt on it if it is the case i had a citren top mount snaped that droped the engine on the the cam belt pullys and caused the cam belt to snap that was the end of that engine

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:22   #4
spyda

Thanks, what you say sounds likely.

I am note surte if you can make out this pic but it's of the pulley's mounted at the side of the cam belt.

Again, not being familiar with the engine I cannot say if this is right or not but to me it looks like pressure is being applied to the belt in the wron area, pulling the whole thing out of shape.

Sorry for the poor quality pic.

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:32   #5
jonny57

Is there any evidence of scuffing or damage to the inner wing(hard to see on the photo)?
jonny57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:39   #6
Enigma666
Master Member

Certainly looks like it's 'leaning' backwards to me (although i can't confirm).
I wouldn't even turn it over, unless you use the crank and check slowly what's going on.
You can just jack the car up and rotate the front wheel to turn the crank and see what the belt looks like in slo-mo
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 13:47   #7
jonny57

Just been out to compare with my v40 and it does look like your engine mount has given up the ghost.A fairly simple diy job-you'll have to raise the engine a bit to re-align it before unbolting it all.There was a thread about this in the last couple of days.I would avoid running the engine for now.Good luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 14:05   #8
Enigma666
Master Member

Just thinking about this, you could use a trolley jack to raise the engine from underneat if you can get your car on stands, that would help to move the engine into place without an engine hoist (but please dont quote me on this)
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 14:15   #9
jonny57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma666 View Post
Just thinking about this, you could use a trolley jack to raise the engine from underneat if you can get your car on stands, that would help to move the engine into place without an engine hoist (but please dont quote me on this)
Trolley jack with a block of wood to avoid damaging anything underneath.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 14:17   #10
Rooster
Speed freak

Its a turbo engine they do sit back slightly like yours, mine is same and all my mounts are fine, For the engine to be out of alignment that way it would need both bottom engine mounts to be well and truly shot as they fight against each other to stop engine rocking,

The idler pully is fine it does run really close to cambelt cover, thats why they make such a mess when auxially drive belts snap,

Just sounds like you have quiet a missfire causing engine to judder, start by checking to make sure its got no air leaks,

Ill take a couple of pics of mine to show you engine mounts are fine
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote