Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Mount given out - the evidence!

Views : 5657

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 18:54   #11
spyda

Thanks for all replies ... would definitely be interested to see comparative photos from anyone that can provide.

Cheers.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 20:02   #12
Enigma666
Master Member

Ooh and check and regap the plugs....when was the last time you had the coil packs and plugs changed?
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 20:11   #13
spyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma666 View Post
Ooh and check and regap the plugs....when was the last time you had the coil packs and plugs changed?
A fair while ago, admittedly, but surely if that was contributing to the problem that too would be a gradual thing?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 22:47   #14
Enigma666
Master Member

A bad coil pack wont always cause gradual degradation, it can go at the click of your fingers mate.
If it's due a service then (if possible) do it yourself.
Change the plugs first...good old OEM for these and then see if the problem persists.
If it does, the coil packs next.
After that....it's all a process of elimination.
Have you checked the fuel pump out of interest?
Enigma666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:35   #15
spyda

Fair enough - well thanks again for the suggestions. I'm not as well up on this stuff as I would like to be so a lot of the simple checks I may well have overlooked.

Due to a comment made previously I am reluctant to turn the engine over again to be honest, think perhaps best to leave to the experts.

I have had a few issues with the car lately, notably the engine mounts but also the car drifting to the left all the time despite full tracking several times and wheels being swapped. I have always wanted to resolve this before doing the mounts as I did not want to fork out the money if the drifting could not be cured.

Having done 125k miles I am at a stage where I have to consider whether it's worth throwing more money at it or looking at other options. Either way, as it stands, the car cannot be sold as is so something needs doing.

As I say, I have done all the testing I dare do so I think it's time to hand over to the experts!

Thanks again for all help from everyone, wish me luck!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 18:08   #16
spyda

Default Progress report

An update ...

Ok, things are most definitely looking up but I am not in the clear yet!

The main culprit of the problem - a dodgy spark plug! Just the one. I think it was the third one that was absolutely soaked (in fuel). Althoiugh the others were all black, they were not wet.

Anyway, a new set of plugs appears to have sorted out the misfire. Yes, a misfire! From the effects I was getting it felt like the engine was dropping out or I had square wheels or something ... I am having a hard time believing that one plug (or all) was the cause of this.

Anyway, misfire sorted the car now starts and runs smoothly ... that is until you take your foot of the accellerator. The revs just die and the engine cuts out. Now I was under the impression that Engine Management Unit would need to re-program itself following the failure so the car was brought upto running temp and eventually, it held the revs on its own.

However, on a drive round the block the revs died several times when pulling upto junctions. I figured the engine management unit would do its thing and all would be ok after a while, but not so.

As it stands, the car starts fine but will NOT maintain revs and therefore will not tick over.

Something else has to have happened to cause this. As I say, a vast improvement but not in the clear yet. :-(
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 00:12   #17
wa666ou

Interesting...
There could be several reasons for dying like that.
1. I'm not sure, if dirty IAC (idle air control) valve could really cause that, but mine was very dirty and car died a lot of times. After cleaning it, problem just dissapeared.
2. Fuel pump, or/and filter - if there's issue with getting fuel it will die. Been there and fixed it.
3. Fuel pressure regulator?

Maybe something else.
wa666ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:39   #18
spyda

Thanks for the pointers ... it's interesting that the idle problem has only really surfaced since the spark plug gave out causing a major misfire.

Could any of these (or anything else) be caused as a result of the misfire?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:31   #19
manoman48
Master Member

Have you driven it far since changing the plugs?

Just wondering if an Italian service would help... i.e. some 'spirited' driving
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 13:45   #20
niloc
SWV Benefactor

To check the engine mounts, grab the engine and try rocking it back and fore...