Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice needed please

Views : 663

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 12:54   #1
bibbys0

Default Advice needed please

I have just got this s80 and had it through its mot and it sailed through after replacing tires and windscreen but on the readout out display i have the emissions service required.I have not noticed anything untoward whilst driving and the check engine light is not on.
However i had the code read for me by the Volvo dealer and to my surprise did not even charge me.

the error for the emissions service is as follows
ecm-2110 front heated oxygen sensor(HO25), preheating - signal too high

Now as we all know these sensor are rather expensive so really what i would like to know does the above code mean that the sensor has decided its going to die and i need to replace it (i don't want to fork out all that cash if its not necessary), or could it be something else.
I am afraid I have to admit I know nothing about cars whatsoever and have to rely on garages so there would be labour on top of that too cheapest i have priced up for the lambda is £106 which is a
Volvo S80 (98-06) 2.4 Denso Oxygen Sensor - 01/99->09/02
So any help for anyone that knows would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
bibbys0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 19:34   #2
littonlad

The real code would be useful from the reader but it does sound like the sensor is faulty. Depends what the problem with it is really (which will be shown by the real code). If it's just say the heater circuit gone then you could live with this ad infinitum I think. Once the car has warmed up the sensor is working ok anyway and the heater isn't doing anything.
If it's another problem then probably the sensor won't be doing it's job and economy, performance and ultimately the cat will suffer.
£106 is a good price and it's an easy part to change so labour charges are zero, I did mine yesterday,it took all of ten minutes.

Hope this helps,if it's wrong I'm sure one of the other more knowledgeable guys will help you out.
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:41   #3
bibbys0

thanks for that will need to investigate further i think
bibbys0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:49   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbys0 View Post
I have just got this s80 and had it through its mot and it sailed through after replacing tires and windscreen but on the readout out display i have the emissions service required.I have not noticed anything untoward whilst driving and the check engine light is not on.
However i had the code read for me by the Volvo dealer and to my surprise did not even charge me.

the error for the emissions service is as follows
ecm-2110 front heated oxygen sensor(HO25), preheating - signal too high

Now as we all know these sensor are rather expensive so really what i would like to know does the above code mean that the sensor has decided its going to die and i need to replace it (i don't want to fork out all that cash if its not necessary), or could it be something else.
I am afraid I have to admit I know nothing about cars whatsoever and have to rely on garages so there would be labour on top of that too cheapest i have priced up for the lambda is £106 which is a
Volvo S80 (98-06) 2.4 Denso Oxygen Sensor - 01/99->09/02
So any help for anyone that knows would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
The problem is as described above , the heater element has gone which isnt too bad considering the age of the car . The oxygen sensor will not work until it gets up to around 400C so the heater is there to get it working very soon after start up for emission purposes .
Yes you need a new sensor , I would strongly advise you get the volvo one , they are very accuratly lazer calibrated for the volvo engine system ( that is what the exension is for within the plug ) and buying a general purpose one can well cost you a fortune when you have to end up buying the genuine one in the end anyway .