Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering column question p1800

Views : 1572

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2015, 21:40   #11
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Charlski;

Application of a penetrant first, then after a day or three of allowing this to soak in (advantage is, it is downhill!), Impact (in either direction) and finally if needed, Heat should get it moving...I want to say turning it so that collar moves down shaft, and toward front of car should tighten it, but I'm not absolutely certain...you should be able to confirm this by carefully studying the visible threads. Once collar is loosened, it should be clearer. Tighten with a bit of Impact.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 23:26   #12
charlski

Ron Kwas

Thanks will start with he penetrating oil this week and aim to shift it next weekend, when you say impact do you mean a hit with a chisel and hammer to get it to start / and then to tighten it up ?

Thanks
charlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 00:19   #13
charlski

ok got it moving with penetrating oil one bang with a hammer and chisel and then mole grips ... down towards front of car loosens it off up towards steering wheel tightens it ... although threads going up are not in the best condition.

So i have one question.

When i loosen the crush tube collar off i can push the steering column back and forwards slightly by pushing / tugging the steering wheel from inside the car.
Therefore when i lock down the collar, does the steering wheel in the car have to be pushed forwards so the boss pushes up against the piece of trim attached with three screws, or does there need to be a small cap maybe a couple of MM between the boss and the trim with 3 screws in ? previously there was no gap between the boss and piece of trim as the column was not tight in the crush tube the spring was pulling the column and the steering wheel snug against the piece of trim with 3 crews in ??, seems to me there should be a small gap between the 2 .... but hopefully you guys know best.
charlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2023, 23:12   #14
pelatigres

thanks for the post, I loose collar 51 by pulling the steering wheel, and I found the solution here
pelatigres is offline   Reply With Quote